Notices

Gotta start somewhere...

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Fall Ahead:
I've read your posts and most of the others. I just want to say that I've been where you are right now, struggled with alcohol for 40 years, on and off, finally quit altogether, with a lot of help, particularly from others in recovery, and have been sober for 27 years. It wasn't easy, particularly at the beginning, but it sure gets better later on. Remember you aren't giving anything up. You're giving yourself your greatest gift, sobriety. I'm sure your spouse will help you. You are going to be free, from the chemical slavery that has taken over you. You will have your true self restored. YOU CAN DO THIS!

W.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, FallAhead. If you haven't done so already, I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of August 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also in early recovery. Wishing you the best today...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
levonhelmrules

Glad to hear it Fall.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Stay strong today Fall Ahead.
Get the book by Caroline Knapp. Excellent writer.
Good luck.
Keep posting.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice day Swift
Old 08-04-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Fall Ahead:
I've read your posts and most of the others. I just want to say that I've been where you are right now, struggled with alcohol for 40 years, on and off, finally quit altogether, with a lot of help, particularly from others in recovery, and have been sober for 27 years. It wasn't easy, particularly at the beginning, but it sure gets better later on. Remember you aren't giving anything up. You're giving yourself your greatest gift, sobriety. I'm sure your spouse will help you. You are going to be free, from the chemical slavery that has taken over you. You will have your true self restored. YOU CAN DO THIS!W.
You are 100% right! I can do this and I am NOT giving anything up! AHH! You are right - I need to keep this in mind. I am not giving anything up - I have everything that is wonderful in life except for the chemical whose control over me and my life has only proven ever so true now!

YESTERDAY! WAS A REAL DAY ONE! *laughs*
Now - I've had day ones before. But I've never spoke with others and had a support system like this. My hubby did help me! He didn't drink either.

We went to the gym, had Seitan tacos, made a sparkling tea/peach drink. and yes! day one.... *giggles* My sleep was amazing too.

OK so I'm not saying it wasn't hard but I'm also very relieved it happened. Amazing how I can feel relieved yet, nervous at the same time. lol

Hello - Day Two!

I have busy evening ahead of me. I want to get on here and write and join the class of 2015! hopefully tonight!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Fall Ahead:
So glad you're making progress. You have one thing going for you that I never had. And it's this website. If you stay with us here on SoberRecovery and join the Class of 2015 you will have a tremendous advantage I never had. This, and hopefully some group and/or some helpful and skilled advisor where you live, and you've got a real plan. You're going to make it if you stick with it. Just do this one day at a time and it gets done. Don't look too far ahead. Don't dwell on the past. When you get sobriety things will sort themselves out. You aren't "giving up" anything. You're "getting" something very good indeed! You're getting yourself back, free from chemical slavery. Good luck!

W.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

:/

I had to come across reading this for everything to hit home with me.
"It is not how much you drink, nor how long you have drank that determines if you are an alcoholic, it is what happens to you after that first drink that determines if you are an alcoholic."

I have suspected for many years I may have a problem with alcohol. My parents are active members of AA and Al-anon since I can remember. I have heard numerous stories and been in more meetings on both sides than I can count. So I thought I knew the signs and the circumstances and all the above as to the what, why, when, where, and who could be an alcoholic. Certainly not me. I am/was too well equipped, right? Too much knowledge to fall victim to this disease? Come to find out I know nothing. It has taken me many years of what I thought was casual drinking and trying to prove I too can have fun and drink like normal people to get to the point I am at today. I now am taking responsibility of my own actions and changing my future to better myself. I am the only thing I can control. Me, Myself, and I. These are the people who got me in this mess and the only ones who can get me out (with the help of AA and Sober Recovery)..luckily for me, I have God. My Mom says to also pray to "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph" because God knows we need all the help we can get, so the more people to pray to, the better. I am early in my sobriety, I pray a lot and get by minute by minute some days.
I have always been a "sundowner". I never drank the first drop until it was the acceptable hour to drink. After 4 o'clock, unless it was Saturday or Sunday that would be after 12 o'clock. I have raised my three children to be productive members of society. I have held down a job responsibly and have climbed the ladder successfully. I have been married for 20 years. I have a nice home, cars, boats, a vacation spot. I am well educated, caring, charismatic and very talented musically and artistically.
Even with just the few blessings I have mentioned here, I am still an alcoholic. The first drink it starts and I drink until it's gone. When it's gone, I may have to get more if I'm not full enough. When I have that "one too many", my switch flips and you better be walking on eggshells or we will fight cause most assuredly I will take something you have said out of context and I will also take it very personal and we will have a long lengthy conversation about it that will end with us yelling and screaming and probably breaking things and saying very hurtful things that not only our children will hear but probably our nearest neighbors.
Such a long post and barely feel like I have chipped the iceberg here. I am grateful for this site and read anything and everything I can get my hands on to help myself feel like I am not alone and not crazy. I don't have the most horrible story that I have lived, but they are all heartbreaking and no matter who it is, we all have something to loose when having this horrific disease. Hopefully not someone's life. Maybe me sharing will give some help to someone else. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hello KeyofC,

I know the feeling. I am in a similar boat. No children yet though. It shows that no matter where you are in life it is still something that can control you.
I want to be healthy when I grow older. I am 30 now...and I am still growing older, thank goodness, so therefore i should probably watch it. I hope you are ok.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you wpainterw!

I'm doing it just like you said - one day at a time. I wont look to far in the future and I need to be ok with myself and love myself so forgive myself for the past.