Notices

FOOD for thought/triggers

Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

FOOD for thought/triggers

Laying here this evening with a touch of insomnia, when I realize with a heavy heart that I can never eat potato chips again.

Those were my day after hangover cure, my choice food while inebriated, and my number one tell to my family that I was off the wagon again.

If I eat them, im going to want Vodka. (Very similar to the" if you give a mouse a cookie" books but with a sinister twist)
I only ever really LOVED drinking vodka as well...so upon this train of thought from my addicted insomniac brain this evening I have discovered the true culprit. I have been addicted to potatoes this whole time! I shall never let that sneaky starch steal my life again

On a serious note, anyone else have trigger food that just avoid now?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi CP, I had trigger foods when I first stopped drinking, same as I had trigger tv programmes, trigger shops and the list went on. Basically, because I couldn't have alcohol everything reminded me of it.

It didn't last though, that's the good thing. You may find, if you want to, in the near future, you can eat potato chips without having a drink of alcohol at the side of it.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-30-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi CP, I had trigger foods when I first stopped drinking, same as I had trigger tv programmes, trigger shops and the list went on. Basically, because I couldn't have alcohol everything reminded me of it.

It didn't last though, that's the good thing. You may find, if you want to, in the near future, you can eat potato chips without having a drink of alcohol at the side of it.
Yep. Nothing to add. There are some incredible corn chips in the meantime!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was being more tongue in cheek and asking if anyone else had similar food triggers and what they were.

(Vodka, chips...both by products of potatoes..so I'm not really an alcoholic, I've just been addicted to potatoes this whole time)

To be fair it made much more sense in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep
Old 07-30-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post cp1987,
Turns out 'I' was the trigger, and there were a LOT of 'triggers' that set me in the paths of those 'rabbit trails in the brain' ... which of course ALWAYS ended at the destination of ... drinking or drugging.

It was suggested to me in early recovery to do many things to 'disrupt' those automatic behavior paths ... go a different way to work, go the opposite direction I usually went in the grocery store, call my sponsor when I really didn't want to, avoid foods I associated with drinking (and people places and things I associated with drinking), and intentionally do anything else that would take me out of 'automatic behavior'.

Now that I have FREEDOM from my old behaviors, I still notice what would have previously been 'triggers', but they have little chance for TRACTION, and if I feel that TRACTION engaging, I do the WORK that got me FREE and keeps me FREE ...

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE

ps ... I know yours was a lighthearted post ... but it TRIGGERED these thoughts in me

Last edited by RDBplus3; 07-30-2015 at 03:21 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old 07-30-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found your post funny. I didn't have triggers when I quit, though I was terrified that the sound of a can being popped open would trigger a Pavlovian response in me.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I ate a lot of salty, spicy snacks and washed them down with beer.

I cut out those snacks, but not so much because they were a trigger, but because I wasn't drunk and drinking beer, I was less apt to throw those things down my throat.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Can't say that I ever had a trigger from food , at the end most times I never hardly ate or remember cooking it Once for 8 months I had quit drinking & smoking cigs . Than when I started drinking again before the day was over , I bought a pack of cigs . In my head those go together .
I could not sit at my kitchen table for months only to eat . I'm ok with that now I'm slowly working on listening to music - That has always been the Biggest ...
It's good tho to recognize those Triggers
Old 07-30-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Guinness, the proverbial meal in a can, every time I ate one it triggered the desire to get drunk. Well actually opening one was acting on the desire to get drunk in the first place, drinking it didn't help either.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I drank all the time so I don't really associate any "triggers" with my drinking...being awake was all the license I needed to crack open a beer. I did not eat well when I was drinking though, I ate a lot of salty, fatty quick food that I could suck down in between beer and I try to avoid that now. One of my late night tricks was to sneak off to a Taco Bell after everyone went to bed and get a few items that I would scarf down in the garage with my last few beers for the night before bed.