Notices

Fell off the wagon

Old 07-30-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thank you both..

I just busied myself by scrubbing the kitchen wall tiles.

I don't know if it's a mistake to try a non-alcoholic beer? I'm craving anything that even tastes like alcohol (I'm not usually a beer drinker but they don't have alcohol free wine in the store by me). The label on one I've found says 0.2 % alcohol. If I have one - is it going to be a mistake?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Scott, the nearest AA meeting to me is 40 minutes bus ride away and it's held every Monday evening. I'm thinking about going next Monday
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

for me, the mistake would be:
- in having the craving be in charge of what i drink
-in trying to placate the craving instead of using the opportunity to learn/use new skills to deal with a craving
-in re-creating the rituals about drinking on some level by reaching for a substance when i don't like the way i feel

i found that cravings are uncomfortable, annoying, irritating, but ultimately often a window into what's going on and often a pointer to something i really need.

and that they can be dealt with in many different ways. the three that work best for me are:
-"look behind" the craving to see what it's about, as for me it usually is about something else. about what i'm feeling. such as lonely. or angry. or empty. lost.
once i have a better idea where i'm at, i have a good shot at dealing with that.
-distractions
-doing nothing; distancing from it and having some compassion along these lines: "oh look; a craving. ah, fini, no, doesn't feel good. not feeling good is okay, though...and it will pass! i know it will. you'll be alright"
Old 07-31-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thank you Fini, those suggestions are a huge help.

I passed the craving, and I'm on day 6!

This might be a little tmi, but I think it could possibly help other women.. Basically, about 2 hours after I started craving a drink like crazy and crying like a baby, my period came. Then it clicked in my mind, that the craving came on so strong because it was PMS too. Every month before my period (the day before, specifically hours before - I binge drink). I guess non-alcoholics binge on junk food when they have PMS, but for me it's a massive craving for wine. I feel much better a few hours after my period arrives. I wonder if other women are experiencing the same, and if we're more likely to relapse before that time of the month?

Anyway, day 6, and I feel pretty good. I slept for 6 hours and slept peacefully! (No sweating, no bad dreams), today I feel energetic and so far zero cravings! (Usually I'll be craving about 3 hours after waking and I've already been awake for 5 hours!

I think what also helped me was my fiance telling me he's proud of me, last night. We hadn't spoken about alcohol or my withdrawal all week (not even mentioned it), but last night he told me he's proud of me and it made me feel great and gave me much needed encouragement.

Tonight, I'm going out with family, there'll be wine. I've already called my mother to tell her I'm not drinking alcohol (most of my family are moderate - heavy drinkers), and I really have to stick to this. If I fill myself up on a big dinner it might make it easier to resist.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hey strivingwoman, I can agree with the PMS complicating things. I drank daily but I know for a fact that while PMS ing my moods were horrible and I typically coped with more booze and hated myself more in the mornings after. And yes, within an hour of getting my period a weight would lift and I would feel better about myself
(and my drinking!)
One of many factors that exacerbated and complicated my alcoholism. Inversely I think boozing seriously messed with my cycle, which was sometimes 6 weeks, sometimes 4. Hoping sobriety helps smooth that out. Hang in there!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

i did the junk food thing the days before my period.

so...just to say you now have an extra tool, in a way, that you found last night: linking a physical body-sense and occurrence to an increased craving. doesn't lessen the craving itself, but "making sense" of what might be "behind it"...well, it helped me lots.
cravings lessen. i haven't had one in a very long time.
keep going, and way to go on those days!