Notices

Dealing With Shame

Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
This is a great thread. For me, shame can play a large role in losing that motivation to quit. This has happened to me many times. "Poor me, pour me another drink".

Last night it was pointed out to me I'm somewhat of a nihilist. IOW, the attitude creeps in of "Who cares, you're an alcoholic, just drink. Life is too hard without it. Nothing matters." I'm sure this is based some way in shame. I'm glad this was pointed out, because I think self-awareness is one of the biggest tools we can use to fight these obstacles.
Yes, the main point, I think is that the AV likes to lock on to shame to keep the booze flowing. So to dwell on how you were so "bad" that you drank (society's traditional view, that you were nothing but a drunk, bad, rotten, selfish, etc., etc. ) can be self defeating, playing right into the hands of the AV. Forget the bad, or at least don't dwell on it. And recovery comes only if you want it and do something about it. It won't come just by relying on doctors and blaming them if it doesn't happen. It comes when you get help from other persons in recovery and when you reach out to help them. A team effort.

W.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great post Painter.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks. The main thing is to get long term sobriety. Dwelling too much on what "alcoholism" is and what makes an "alcoholic" can be counter productive. It's better if the focus shifts to recovery. Folks differ on that too. Some say it's "different strokes for different folks." What works for some may not work as well for others. The important thing is that it gets done. And I found that getting help from other recovering alcoholics meant a lot. If anyone suggests that you won't get sober long term unless you do just what he did, I'd raise an eyebrow. Interesting to learn what he did but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to do that. I once met a man who said he "would run naked right through DuPont Circle in D.C. at midnight if that would make him sober long term." I never checked back with him so see whether it worked. If it did then I guess he might think a bit about getting some clothes on when the sun goes down. Try it in the daytime fully clothed with a bottle of Diet Sprite.

W.