Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 4

Old 07-28-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kamm

for anyone who doesn't know, at the end of this month this thread will be moved to our Daily Support forum so we can start a new Class of Augusat thread here.

Nothing else will change about this thread.
Everyone can post here as you have been...but the thread will just be somewhere different.

I'll put a redirect link in so folks can find it

D
Old 07-28-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Welcome Kamm! And welcome Milly, Carver and Time 2 Rise too!

I'm glad Dee74 just mentioned that we'll be moved over to the Newcomer's Daily Support secontion.

FABL, just a question... do you happen to be a single mother too?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had to remove your article Angd - it's been posted many times before. Unfortunately it breaks our 'worksafe rule'. Anyone interested can always PM you for the link.

As far as nightmares go - very common - but they fade.

Congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today.

Needtostopthis - whats your recovery plan look like right now? could you do more?

I worked pretty hard at my drinking - I needed to work even harder at my recovery.

The rewards are immense tho
D
Sorry, Dee. I hope I didn't offend anyone, as that definitely wasn't my intention.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Greetings again everyone. It's great to see so many people doing this.

Just thought I'd pop in and tell on myself. That pesky, crazy voice inside my head has shown up and, like so many times in the past, is trying to tell me I'm not an alcoholic. I figure maybe posting about it will take some of the sting out of it. This thing is ruthless...
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

So the AV that had been pouting the last few days, came out of hiding, and started pestering me. I'd exercised (physically) a lot today, and it was hot, and it told me I "deserved" a "reward."

Thankfully, I recognized it for the liar it was, and threw a cold orange soda at it. I guess it didn't like diet soda (but I do), and it fled.

So, I made it through another day!

And so can all the rest of you . . . new and old alike! Courage! Tell the AV to take a hike!

KO
Old 07-28-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Welcome to all of you just joining.. So glad you will be finishing up the month with us and we can all move forward together

Yes, Toki, I am a single mother. Assuming you are as well? It's tough, but it's really all I know. Been divorced about 10 years now. My ex lives 1000 miles away is hardly in their lives at all. No child support for over a year now and before that it was scattered. Not feeling sorry for myself, I have the most precious gifts in those girls - we are very close and we make it work.. Somehow!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Don't listen to it Rio, you know better!

Great job keeping on. I can relate though. Really good hard workouts make me feel so deserving of a drink (or 2 or 3 or 4). Be proud of yourself ! And next time, maybe that voice won't be so loud.. Or maybe not there at all
Old 07-28-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Hang on!

I just want to thank all of you for simply being here. This place has been a great help, even if I haven"t posted much this week. It's been slowly getting easier, but I'm still deep in the woods.

Tomorrow will be day 50 for me. And you know what that little buzztard AV said right away? "Yay! We're done. We proved it... Let's celibrate!"

Grrr! One day at a time.....
Old 07-28-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Thanks 2 wheels!
That's exactly what my AV said to me last time I quit for a month, and I listened. One moderately serious accident later, and I realise I shouldn't have. You are so right not to listen to that little buzztard :-)
Old 07-28-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

The Cracked article near the top of the last page made me LOL!! Thanks for posting it. I really needed it at the end of my first really grumpy grouchy day, 9 days in.
Felt physically weak and sluggish this week, I have exercised a little but quite lazily. I suppose my body is readjusting to not running on 6% abv beer half the time!
No real cravings though, so grateful to have SR to keep my priorities in focus.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2WheelsGood View Post
I just want to thank all of you for simply being here. This place has been a great help, even if I haven"t posted much this week. It's been slowly getting easier, but I'm still deep in the woods.

Tomorrow will be day 50 for me. And you know what that little buzztard AV said right away? "Yay! We're done. We proved it... Let's celibrate!"

Grrr! One day at a time.....
Maybe your buzztard can meet my a**hat, and they can run off into the sunset together, good riddance.

Last edited by PennyLane76; 07-28-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-28-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your AV stories. It's good to hear others share about it. We're allfighting the same struggle.

I wasn't exactly accurate in my post before. This is what the voice starts telling me - "So what, Rio, you're an alcoholic. No big deal. Drinking is not a big deal. Everyone drinks. Just drink, life without alcohol is just not worth it. You can quit later, but now now. Let's just go to the store real quick." That's the voice that gets me into trouble. And the longer I let it stew, the more convincing it gets. Anyway, fight on..
Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Rio I hear that voice too. I'm prone to a few bouts of depression each year, and that is the time I fear most. When I'm miserable and nihilistic I don't care enough about myself to see why I shouldn't drink.
To be honest, I'm still not sure if I know how to avoid that trap, it's like thinking with a different mind.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

It is nihilistic, upward. Come to think of it, I've been pretty nihilistic for a long time. I try to stay positive, but after a while that just starts feeling like a chore. Damn, this is good to know...
Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Today has not been a good day. Terrible dreams Sunday night left me with little sleep and last night I did not sleep at all. I ended up at the gym at 4:00 am to try and wear myself out. When I finally did fall back asleep for a nap, I had another round of terrible nightmares. One was so terrible that it lingered with me for a while after I woke up and a flash of my AV said "Man, you should really drink to calm down after that one!" That's the first time a thought like that has crossed my mind( even for a brief second) in the last 25 days. I quickly dismissed it and had no intentions at all of drinking, but it did scare me a bit. Anyways, drinking some sleepy time tea with honey and posting. I don't feel like drinking, I am tired, I will stay sober another day but I am almost afraid to go to sleep now. Anyone have anything like this happen to them with almost a month of sobriety time? I am not having dreams about relapsing, just very vivid scary nightmares.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Yeah, Rio, I don't do AA but I am trying to identify a higher power for this purpose.

Angd, my dreams and nightmares are more vivid when I'm sober, but they're the norm whether I drink or not. Makes sense to me that stress in your life would come through more aggressively in your dream life without booze, and the month marker can be a pretty darn stressful time. It's when I tend to cave. Hang tough!!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Hi angd,
You would think that after 25 days it wouldn't be a physical symptom of withdrawal, but I might be quite wrong about that. Other than a possible reaction to meds or supplements you may be taking, the nightmares could be purely symbolic of something you are struggling with at the moment. Alcohol is one obvious possibility, but only you could interpret them. Not very pleasant for you at all though. I hope you manage to get a good sleep. Sleep deprivation is awful. Sleepy time tea with honey sounds a good trick :-)
Old 07-28-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had nightmares/vivid dreams for a while. I chose not to put any importance on them - I still sometimes dream of high school, but I don;t want to go back there at all

They lasted well over a month for me at irregular times, and then less frequently - eventually they faded away

D
Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Thanks, friends! This is not something that I am comfortable talking about with others, so I am glad that I have ya'll. I just spent some time reading through my old posts and it looks like this happened before and stopped around 3 weeks. Due to it being my second time around quitting, maybe it will take longer for the dreams to stop. I am doing everything possible to be healthy and the best me I can be. I think there are some deep underlying issues that I thought I had worked through, but apparently they want to revisit me in my sleep. I guess I will just take it as my brain's way of processing years of blocking things out, let all of this come to the surface, and deal with it head on. Thanks for listening!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

We continue here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html
D