Notices

My two concerns with AA

Old 07-07-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by NickOz21 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm interested in AA as I was referred to AA actually by my psychiatrist.

I've read through the 12 steps and I feel a little bit of reluctance about 2 steps in particular.

Firstly, I am not at all criticizing AA. I'm sure it's worked wonders for countless people. Also, I am absolutely open-minded and respectful of other peoples beliefs.

1) There are several steps relating to God or a higher power of some kind... I'm agnostic (non-believer) who's not particularly spiritual or religious in any sense... So, I'm struggling to grasp these steps.

2) "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable." (Twelve-steps program - wikipedia)

When I look through these forums I see a persistent theme of the those demonstrating will power.

I see many people who have bravely made major personal changes to their lives by becoming and staying sober - of course, social support plays a crucial role but so does the strength required to resist temptation to relapse.

What are your thoughts?
What are my thoughts? I am sober and alive today because of AA. I was agnostic when I first began my journey but today I do believe in some spiritual things. You do not have to believe in anything at all except your ability to live one day at a time. There are a lot of "god" references but you don't have to take them as literal. When I first started every time I saw the word "God" I would think of something in my life that I wanted to fix really really bad and pray to whatever that was. (whether it was my mother, or another relative that I wanted to see me get sober)

As for the power thing, I am powerless over a drink, I can't put one down, but I do have will power within me to do a lot of things.

It all sounds really tricky right now, but someone told me "take only what you need and leave the rest" and that works for me.