Notices

Do i need rehab

Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do i need rehab

Well, I am back. I have it all under control! That was sarcastic of course.

I would love to hit the reset button. But this tape keeps playing. The question shouldn't be "do I need rehab", it should be "how can you rehab"? I can't take a month away from the wife and kids, my job ... The crushing responsibility and sameness that I use to excuse drinking.
I have to beat this in real time. But failed so far!

Doomed!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're only doomed if you believe you are. As long as you're still breathing, there is a chance you can turn your life around.

I hope you find the support you need to get sober for good.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Thanos,

Welcome back!

If you can't do rehab, what can you do to make a change? There is always lots of hope.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanos, does this ring a bell. It wasn't that long ago, just a few months:

I drank today. I have been going downhill for a long time. Well, drinking sucks. I have had my fill of drinking today and it is not satisfying. It makes me feel gross. I can't think straight. My wife knew when she smelled me coming home and the disappointment I saw there was like a dagger. Drinking always leads to this hollow terrible place.

I understand it being difficulty trying to "fit" rehab into your life, if you keep drinking, you may not be alive and have that opportunity. You can do bud. You really can. Wishing you the best.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How about outpatient rehab? How about AA? How an addictions counselor? How about joining a monthly group here and posting daily before you drink?

Lots of options...you need to take action to make them work though.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did outpatient rehab and found it effective for getting through the first few weeks. I was not working at the time but it was in the evenings and I probably could have fit it around a normal Mon-Fri job. There are options other than a 28 day inpatient program.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
I can't take a month away from the wife and kids, my job ...
Maybe that is EXACTLY what you need. A month away from your wife, your kids, and your job. To focus on getting yourself together for the rest of your life. Just think, if you'd have gone to rehab 1 month ago, you'd be sober right now and getting things in order.

We alcoholics have a million excuses. There's no "good time" to quit. There's no "free pass" to sobriety. If there was, we wouldn't be here. At least give rehab/inpatient a thought. I myself never thought I'd end up doing such a thing, but I did and it probably saved my life. Good luck to you, and I hope you make the decision that is best for you.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with what most said Rehab saved my life. This disease kills lots of people everyday and tells us"that wont happen to me". Rehab has worked for many and shouldnt be so readily dismissed. this is your life were talking about.

Rehab, Meetings, get a sponsor, work the steps you will be fine.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why can't you do rehab? I thought the same. But I would eventually have lost my children and my job if I kept drinking the way I had been drinking. Then I would have had all the time in the world to get sober. Unemployed with no kids and homeless since I can't pay my mortgage with no job. But if all that happened I'd just drink to drown my sorrows instead of getting sober.

It's a vicious cycle. Do you have time from work? Can you take leave? If your wife isn't happy with your drinking, and it doesn't sound as if she is, the time apart could help. If your drinking is really bad and you're thinking to yourself she can't handle things with you gone, think again. My husband keeps telling himself that but I'm essentially a single parent trying to maintain my own sobriety while he continues to binge. I have been doing almost 90% of the housework, childcare, yard work, etc. etc.

I did inpatient treatment. I detoxed in the hospital for three days and was in rehab for 16 days. I called my supervisor while drunk, on a Sunday, and told her I was an alcoholic and needed treatment. It was kind of a nutty thing to do but really, I would have lost my job soon enough. Or my life. Calling took a leap of faith but it was the best decision I've made as an adult. My job was still there when I got out. The kids were well cared for by my parents. My cats got fed. My mail got taken in. If you need treatment, do it. There will never be a better time than as soon as you can get in, if you are having trouble keeping sober on your own. It was a solid start for me. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is where medical leave and legal protections come in. Can you really not afford a month if it means many months and years do sobriety and being present for your family?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How many times have you detoxed while working? If you have detoxed while working, you can work without drinking. Find a program. I went to AA and got a sponsor. AA is my rehab and it doesn't interfere with my job. Good luck. You can do this.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Thanos!!