Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Okay, so I went from an at-home drinker to a "social drinker".

Notices

Okay, so I went from an at-home drinker to a "social drinker".

Old 07-05-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

we think our drinking is going well for us

Originally Posted by dunkelheit View Post

I think I started doing this because my drinking made me lose my fiance of 4 years. I got really depressed
When I was drinking I went through that a few times.

If alcoholic ??

We may have brief periods of time
in which we think our drinking is going well for us
but,
once more in the long run we will be burned by the liquid devil.

Some will come to a point in time where they can take any more.
And will quit drinking for good.
Others may suffer for a lifetime.
And cause much suffering to loved ones and friends.

It's a sad thing to have an alcoholic family member or friend.

MB
Old 07-05-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

My goal was to stop buying alcohol from liquor stores and drinking alone, but now I'm going out to bars every night, or house parties. Tonight I'm going out to get trashed with an old friend.

I think I started doing this because my drinking made me lose my fiance of 4 years. I got really depressed, but I said I wouldn't drink at home anymore. And I don't, I get completely drunk in bars and stuff.
Snap! I did the exact same thing, I thought it was great progress. I had been drinking alone every night (and day) for a few years so being in the company of others was as good as new to me.

The problem was I was drinking to block out my reality among other reasons. So I very much was still doing the same thing except in public. Of course, I had to put on a show as well didn't I?

Most people weren't carrying the same pain as me (except some older men), and the last thing I was going to give them was any hint of mine. Go to a meeting while you still have the chance.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good, stay sober. Every day is misery for me. When I got back from the party last night, my mom was at the apartment for an intervention, saying I have to do rehab after my classes end. I don't even know how long she was waiting there. I tried to call off the party tonight, but my friend's in pretty bad shape. Don't know what to do.

When do your classes end? Does this mean you're waiting until whenever that is to stop drinking? Or are you still planning on stopping before classes start like you said earlier? What is going to be different at this future point than now? Why don't you go to rehab right now and then maybe go back to class next semester? What triggered your mom to be there waiting? Was there a specific incident? Why don't you stop drinking now instead of waiting until classes start/end? If you are at the point that family members are staking out your apartment to confront you about your drinking, sounds like it's time to stop NOW.

If you can't call off "the party" because your (alcoholic?) co-host/friend is still wasted right now, why don't you go spend the night at your parent's place and avoid "the party" altogether?

I feel for you, dunkelheit, sounds like alcohol has you in way over your head right now. Been there, done that, over and over and over and over again and it's no way to live. There's a better way of life out there waiting for you in recovery and there's no better day than today to stop drinking and start working toward it.