Authenticity V

Old 07-12-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Hi Robby just popping in to say hello and and much love to you and Ajax.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 502 (permalink)  
Do your best

Popping by to say goodnight Robby & melissa
Old 07-12-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 503 (permalink)  

Hey guys and gals.

Thanks again for all the kind words to me -- I am much better today. Actually pretty calm with (is it bad to say?) a vague sense of relief right now. Perhaps in part because I've been handed another challenge, which is not actually new and has been ongoing for a while, but renewed today. One of my students... a grad student I supervise, is going through some pretty intense crisis in what seems like all areas of her life. She is someone who would fit in here on SR perfectly in fact: an extremely sensitive and vulnerable person and also very intelligent and creative, with tons of emotional issues past-present, lots of anxiety and despair. She also had serious addictions in the past that I'm not 100% sure how well are resolved but she got lots of treatment for these, and other things.

We interact a lot and she seeks me out for all kinds of things, some that go far beyond our work or her interests and problems regarding work. It's nothing new to me, I've had these kinds of students (even more senior people I worked with) in my entire career more or less, even when I was still a student myself. I guess I attract it and bring it out of them to use me this way, which I like no doubt about it. Anyhow, today she sent a long email describing a very desperate state full of dread and existential angst, asking me to talk with her tomorrow about it and asking me to help her with it. Well, of course I will try to do my best -- it's a great distraction also for me, and something I know I can handle well as I had done it a hundred times with others before, also with her when she needed me earlier. I know full well that my "management style" is pretty unusual as in my field this kind of stuff is not usually included in supervision, but I like to do it and they seem to appreciate it a lot. I think I've also become much better at it than when younger, when I made mistakes getting overly involved and not keeping consistent boundaries with these people, but it's not hard now as I have a lot of experience. It's pretty much the kind of mentorship I liked and sought in my early career and it's interesting to be on this end of it as well.

Okay that's the story for today -- have a good night/day Robby, Melissa ane everyone.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hey friends! It's been a lively thread!! We're coming to our regular 500+ count. I'll start a new one just after this one is closed.

I'm very impressed on the quality of friendships here at SR. We do have each other's backs. We look after our own as ourselves. I'm mighty proud to be a participant on SR and goes without sayin' these Authenticity threads.

So good morning and goodnight all y'all!
See you in the next edition!!

Old 07-12-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thread closed. (until the next one)

Thanks all

D

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 07-12-2015 at 08:20 PM.