Notices

Today, Ugh!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today, Ugh!

Today was sooo difficult. Craving alcohol wasn't the burden. Just doing life without alcohol was the burden. When did life become so difficult? Unmanageable is an understatement. Not because I have job, relationship or legal issues mucking up my life. Today it was difficult just putting one foot in front of the other. When did I become so disabled by stress? Sorry about the negativity but I'm really going to try to be honest about everything this time. Thanks for taking this time to spend with me.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some days are really hard. I hope you feel better tomorrow. Have you tried to deal with stress by exercising or meditating, listening to music? I'm glad you got through it.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna. Never tried exercise or meditation. Listening to music is an alcohol trigger for me. I like the way you put it "Some days are really hard." Somehow makes it not seem so overwhelming. Such a simple statement but so meaningful. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Girlie, I'll second the excercise. You would be amazed at how well it helps stress, especially on the types days you just described.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Girlie,
I think you partly answered your dilemma when you said that it was just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other. Today was my Day 1, and at those times when I felt that life was too much and overwhelming, I just had to remind myself to put one foot in front of the other and everything will fall into place as it should.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today is just a day, tomorrow's another. It's okay to have crappy days.

I also highly recommend exercise and good sleep to manage stress.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

All I can add is - stay on course Girlie - it gets easier

D
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. Alcohol is like an invisible crutch. We don't realise how much we've been leaning on it til it is taken away. Learning to live happily in sobriety is a bit like learning to walk all over again, and it can be hard going. (Personally I needed - and still have - the support of AA to do this).

Living Sober is a really useful book - cheap as chips from Amazon, as is Monkey on My Shoulder

Keep going, a day at a time - It may not be easy, but it will be worth it. Those new sober legs are so much better than that heavy old crutch alcohol.

Try to remember HALT - and protect yourself (and your sobriety) from Hunger, Anger, Loneliness and getting Tired. If there are recriminations buzzing round your head (more than likely going like a non-stop washing machine for now), just try to put them to one side to deal with when you're feeling better. Even jot them down if you need to. You have enough to deal with in this early readjustment phase without mithering yourself about things you can't change.

Take care. Hoping that you get everything you need for a beautiful recovery.