Notices

New House New Neighbors New Challenge

Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New House New Neighbors New Challenge

We have been in the New House since February. We have an in ground pool which has made us Very popular with 3 of our surrounding neighbors that we share the fence line with. The only thing is that they all rotate the party from one yard to another. We do not want to be part of that because we don't drink and we don't want drinking in our home. I feel obligated to share our pool or we may be labeled some sort of greedy neighbor. But it's dangerous ground to have social party neighbors over. They rotate their cook outs parties every weekend and we attended 1 and found its all about drinking. A stickey situation since they can see us when we are out at the pool and decline their invitations. Just want to nip this in the bud now so I don't have to feel awkward in my own backyard. They are all very nice people but we are alcoholics here! Help.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

That's a tough situation, I don't know what I would do. I look forward to other people's ideas.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It's is always nice to be social and friendly with neighbors, but just because you randomly moved in next to a group of partiers does not mean they need to be your best friends. Frankly we are not that close to our neighbors and have a pool.

I'd just be honest....... Hey Tom, all are welcome at our home but we are alcohol free over here - we don't drink! But, please come over sometime and we can grill out and swim!

No one is then wondering why they Jones are standoffish and don't want company. It none of anyone's business - but this might be a way to deal with if you want to mingle with the drinkers.

ps..... if you live in Cary, IL I grew up not far away and know exactly how this plays in Chicago Midwest. They will respect the honesty and openness regardless of if they agree or not.

It's no one business about being alcoholics.......would not get into that imo.
Peace out.....
Old 05-27-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with flynbuy - use our pool sure - but we prefer our house be non-alcoholic

D
Old 05-27-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I would worry about liability. Someone gets hurt in your pool, guess who is liable? Sober or not.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So what I'm getting is that you don't want to have the neighbors over as part of this rotating party system at all, even if they weren't drinking at your pool. If that's the case, I'd just be honest while being as nice as possible and get it over with so it's not hanging over your head. "We appreciate the invite but we don't allow alcohol at our house so don't think we can participate. Thank you so much though and have fun! We'll see you at (PTA, church, insert non-drinking neighborhood event here, etc.)!"
Old 05-27-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
So what I'm getting is that you don't want to have the neighbors over as part of this rotating party system at all, even if they weren't drinking at your pool. If that's the case, I'd just be honest while being as nice as possible and get it over with so it's not hanging over your head. "We appreciate the invite but we don't allow alcohol at our house so don't think we can participate. Thank you so much though and have fun! We'll see you at (PTA, church, insert non-drinking neighborhood event here, etc.)!"
Exactly!