Notices

p.s.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

p.s.

This is an addendum to my other post this morning. I know people were trying to help, but I felt ashamed for even posting that post. I evidently have personal issues that need to be addressed and this is not the place to do that.

Thanks guys. I will avail myself to my therapist for these issues. Better that way.

Onward thru the fog
Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You have no need to feel ashamed for posting ArtFriend. It is only natural to expect someone to make a phone call to show concern for your welfare.

Also the fact that you came on to SR and said that you drank within a day is to your credit.

As people said on your other post you can't control other people's reactions so try not to let it upset you too much.

PS how is it now? Is it still raining?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We had a brief respite this morning. I took advantage and mowed the yard for the first time in weeks. The ground is so saturated and muddy it was hard to do, but now it is done. More rain is coming this afternoon. We aren't supposed to get out of this pattern until mid June.

Thanks for asking!!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nothing to be ashamed of at all AF. We all have personal issues to address and SR is certainly a place to discuss them and seek solutions. Sometimes we need to seek help outside SR, whether it be through medical doctors, therapists, spiritual leaders, or whatever it might be.

Don't forget there are forums here dealing with all sorts of different issues too - mental health/anxiety, substance abuse, eating disorters, and the list goes on. The key is identifying the problems and then finding the right resources to manage them.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think it's fine to post what you posted. But for what end? There are wonderful things this forum can do. A lot of things it can't do. Know the difference, else you might have expectations from us that can't be met.

Be safe!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, the situation with my family is something that only I can set straight (or not). The reason for feeling ashamed is that I feel like I trip over the same issue all the time (as you pointed out) and I am not able to work it out. I just started therapy last week, so hopefully this will be addressed there. I know the forum can only do so much and I am thankful for the support I get.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Well, the situation with my family is something that only I can set straight (or not). The reason for feeling ashamed is that I feel like I trip over the same issue all the time (as you pointed out) and I am not able to work it out. I just started therapy last week, so hopefully this will be addressed there. I know the forum can only do so much and I am thankful for the support I get.
Glad to hear you are seeking help via therapy. It's not for everyone of course but I hope it can be of help for you. I never set foot in a therapists office my entire life until about 6 weeks ago and I'm very glad I took the step.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am a big advocate of therapy. I am glad that it is helping you Scott. Sometimes a professional can help where others can't.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We all have our stumbling blocks AF.

I don't think you shouldn't have posted on here - but I do wish you'd posted about your feelings before you drank on them. Someone may have been able to help you work through them and stave off that AV.

Please post sooner rather than later if you feel that way again.

Hope things are improving in your area. (It'll probably be all over the UK news once it's finished and everything's okay, but not seen anything yet).
Old 05-27-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Don't be ashamed, Artfriend.

Though I completely understand you and feel ashamed every time I post on my thread here, I think that it's better to feel ashamed here, than to suffer in isolation.

I am a big fan of therapy as well. But one doesn't exclude another. SR contributed a lot to my overall recovery adding up thins that therapy couldn't fullfill.

And SR is here 24/7 - which is great too.

And as for therapy - my therapist once told me that shame implies fear of punishment.

I don't believe anyone here is going to punish you or myself for sharing our feelings, for being human.

Probably, the worst punishment can come from our old and still destructive thinking patterns.

Keep sharing. Stay sober.

P.S. So sorry about this disastrous flooding. Take care of yourself.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi AF ,
I've found being aware of the "issues" is a good part of getting the help i needed to resolve them .
If something kept leading me back to drinking i'd want my sober friends to point out where i might be blind sided by life .

The anonymity SR gives is very useful , remember you're anonymous right

I want nothing more than for you to be sober and happy, and for myself maybe share what i found out so that i can garner some good from the mess and experience of my past .

Sobriety is a learning thing , there is no shame in learning , sobriety is a bumpy ride , especially in the first few days , weeks and months .

Just keep on with the path you'll do fine ,

m