Notices

The Drinking Life

Old 05-22-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
MD 20/20 had me throwing up for 4 days when I was 15. That and Andre Cold Duck. We drank that at prom. Cuz we was classy.

Ha! Yes we was or so we thought
Old 05-22-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

We had keg parties on our front lawn ........I was 14 my brothers 16 and 18......no one called the cops....Infact the neighbors were old time alcoholics and actually got the booze for us. They did all kinds of entertaining things. And we had a guy who worked at the beer distributor on our team.....we'd drive up order 1 case of Budweiser......and leave w 3 cases of chilled molson golden......we thought we were cool.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pink Chardon for me when I was 14. It was 4 bucks a bottle and remember I must have thrown up every single meal I had eaten for the entire week. The headache was second to none. My Dad drank daily. He used to sit at the kitchen table with a jar (( gallon)) of beer and drink it the whole night slowly getting more slurry and critical. Mum would get really flustered and start cleaning erratically while yelling at us to go to bed.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I have lived a drinking life, even if I didn't always drink. It is endemic to our society.
Navigating alcohol as a rite of passage. Other than observing those around us in our respective communities, how could anyone have prepared for a life mixed with booze? One big crap shoot.

Here's a little of my initiation:

Smoking started for me at age 14 while at a state DNR summer work camp. As all the kids were under 18, those who smoked and whose parents signed a waiver were allowed to smoke while there. Smokers and non-smokers alike became fast friends - of course, the first smoke had to be a Marlboro Red, hard pack. What else?

Camp was the most interesting place. With thousands of applicants, my spot was secured by writing a winning essay. The first week of work a scary boy was kicked out of camp for trying to organize an orgy in the forest. His spot was earned through court mandate as he had attempted homicide and, being a juvenile, it was work camp or detention. So there were two ways to participate. Great mix of kids. Great time.

Initiation into my drinking community came one night before a weekend of rock climbing with a guide and 2 older friends. In the twilight of small town America there was a barn dance with $0.50 taps of Miller Lite. For a 14-year old this was pure magic.

Following the dance was an open field, a case of Leinenkugels and a bottle of Wild Turkey. After which we realized that we had forgotten our tent. Lucky for us there was an abandoned trailer available as it had also started to rain. In the morning I woke covered in flea bites and with a hangover that was a harbinger of years to come.

Thanks ArtFriend for the opportunity to shuffle down memory lane. I've never written these stories down anywhere. Sorry mods if I broke any rules, it was unintentional.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing everyone! Great stories. Verte, the flea bites would probably have done me in for drinking. Yikes.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ugh I drank a little of both boones farm and MD
20/20 when I was a teenager. Terrible toxic crap!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Boone's farm and box wine.....when a regular hangover wasn't enough. In my day, folks smoked dope with it. I stuck with beer and tequila. MJ made me paranoid.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. Yep, that's what we had high school and that was mid 90's. Ugh
Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I didn't start drinking until college, but I'm familiar with the "budget beverages" referenced in this thread. I'd add one I had to resort to when money was tight: Night Train. That was a one time and one time only thing. I still remember it. I think we bought Thunderbird once as well. A lot of cheap budget beer in those days- seas of Miller High Life and Milwaukie's Best (Milwaukie's Beast). Hangovers so bad they felt like out of body experiences. Couldn't imagine ingesting any of that stuff now. After college it was a quick descent into daily drinking. Better beer and wine, but a steady diet of it. Moved to California a stone's throw from wine country and came to appreciate the good stuff. But it took over. Drinking and thoughts of drinking became a preoccupation. Going to visit a new town? Let's see where the British style pubs are. Invite to a microbrewery? Then yes, I'll go. Craft beers and ale or cheap daily Coor's Light- either was fine for me.