Notices

Your motivations for quitting (more than 20?)

Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Heath issues!
The day I quit I had a super stomach ache. Had started to get one about once a month....
Thinking alcohol related, since I haven't had one in the 6 months since quitting!
Also blood pressure borderline high, weight creeping up.

Every morning I said I was going to quit, cut back, change something....then really did it! Couldn't be happier!!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

At the time it was to stop the hangovers and protect my physical health. Little did I know that it would make my mental health better and make life not only bearable, but good!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have been sober since 01/02/15

Originally Posted by arieslee View Post
i read this thing about finding motivation and having to dig deep and finding more than one motivation ..Just curious if any of you trying to quit had to dig deep and found multiple reasons to quit to keep you on track ?
JAIL is probably my biggest motivation. Prison is another. Jail food. Jail people. Jail beds. Ahole corrections officers who wake up everyday to be Aholes. People who are there detoxing and crapping their pants So you have to smell it. I could have just said jail but that's not detailed enough. Also I have worked so hard already to get where I am I would be ashamed to look in the mirror of day one sober again. Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
My progression of drinking always led to me wanting to die and thinking that it was a really good idea. If I don't drink, I don't want to die. My main motivation is hope and with that comes the rest of them.
I always thought I wanted to die too - but it turns out when that possibly was staring me in the face, I fought like a wildcat

D
Old 05-22-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes. I've had to find different motivations. First it was health - my liver enzymes were up and I knew it was probably due to drinking. Then as it got harder I added that I was losing my memory. Then as I was willing to give up my health to drink again I I added being more present for my kids and not drinking and driving and keeping them safe.

But yes sometimes I need to add motivations
Old 05-22-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My motivations

Here goes my List : I'm going to write it on here as i ask myself repeatedly why i want to stop

I'm tired of being tired
i want to get my life back on track
tired of constantly feeling the anxiety
tired of feeling emotionally off center after a night of drinking
dealing with the depression
Tired of the blowing most of my money on booze when i don't make a whole lot to begin with .
the weight gain and being overweight is also become and issue and another reason why i want to quit .
ever since i gained the weight its become uncomfortable im a short guy and being overweight when your only 5'5 is not comfortable at all .Especially when i got to be on my feet most of the day for work

...that is all i think of right now but im going to really do some soul searching this weekend and continue to add reasons why to my list thank you all for your help and support its because of folks like yourselves that i keep coming on this message board
Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Doubting my sanity was my motivation.
I didn't know what was going on anymore.
Ugh, just a memory of that state makes me cringe. It was awful and I don't want to live like that anymore.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
My progression of drinking always led to me wanting to die and thinking that it was a really good idea. If I don't drink, I don't want to die. My main motivation is hope and with that comes the rest of them.
Welcome to the club. Alcohol was essentialy making me feel suicidal on many occassions.
I'm so much happier sober.
There's tough moments for sure but no comparison to the hell of binge drinking few times a week.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bdj

My son. I didn't want him to grow up with a father like I had. My dad and step dad were both alcoholics. They taught me how NOT to raise my son.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i'm tired of being a slave to my emotional impulses and giving into them
Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Art friend reminded me of my friend Kevin who also died from esophasgel varies.....he had 2 episodes.......the first one he called me in a panic telling me he was throwing up blood.......and it was also coming out of his rectum.....i went over and drove him to the hospital......I kept thinking ....you can't die in my car......very traumatic .......the second time he bled out so fast that he didn't get a chance to call me......I don't want to end up like him either. This Saturday I plan on going 6 mile nature hike in a state reserve. That's a new adventure. I just want to have a calmer life that makes sense.....drinking attracts drama.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My nr one reason has been 'karma' for a long long time.

Addiction/substance abuse clouds the mind, making it harder to make wise descisions, making it harder to create 'good' karma