Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 18

Old 07-20-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Monday baby, let's do this thing.

Thanks for the high fives guys!! Wooooohooooo sums it up nicely!

Attitude of gratitude today. Simply that.

"Don't be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many days in the year as you make use of. One man gets only a weeks value out of a year while another man gets a full years value out of a week." Charles Richards

Laugh today, not many things are that serious.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Thanks for all the congrats, and Congratulations to you, Determined! WooHoo!!!

My college roommate and her husband stayed until last night as Bob decided we should sale to Martha's Vineyard, so we left Friday morning and got back yesterday afternoon. Fun time, but a wild thunderstorm on Saturday had the boat rocking and rolling.

Pink, have you adopted the kitten? Once you feed them, they are yours, or I should say you are theirs. You know that is how I got Mr. Boomerang. Your reference to cake for breakfast made me immediately want cake!

London, how are you doing with the smoking?

Untra, great list. I saved it.

1Step and Rah, you are both doing great.

Choobie, what was that you got for your husband? I had never heard the word.

I have decided we quit at the best time possible, so that we had sober time before summer rolled around again. This is definitely the hardest time for me, but I am fighting with a new weapon - peach frozen yogurt! I am completely hooked on it. I look forward to it the way I looked forward to a drink, and I am eating as much as I want to get through the summer.

I am worried about an awkward situation coming up on Thursday. An old friend is having her annual pool party/lobster fest. She always makes a decadent dessert, and she emailed a few days ago to say the cherries are already soaking in the brandy. That means she is making a flourless chocolate cake (think rich fudge candy) covered in a sauce made of pitted Bing cherries in brandy, vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. I have certainly made it known through the years that I love that dessert, and now I have to figure out how to refuse it without admitting why. I am not worried about the champagne she serves with frozen strawberries, but I am worried about the cherries.....

Well, I am off to read the shelves at the library, then I need to clean and rest.

Everyone sounds like they are in a great place right now. Let's keep on keeping on.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Administrator

a belated but sincere congratulations determined

D
Old 07-20-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Congratulations Determined on 11months!

Had a good time on the whole at the convention despite a nightmare journey there and back (for more details see my last post in June2015 class!). Went to a good inspiring meeting last night and a lunchtime meeting today, hope all is well with everyone here.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Scooter i understand your worry about the pool party, at least you can arm yourself with ready made responses before you go, so that you are not put on the spot. You can do this! Look how fabulous you look and feel now! That will knock socks off everybody! The disloyal cat doesn't want me., its like a teenager. Feed me, then leave me alone! Luckily my own two kitties made up for my rejections, and are both sitting on my lap and feet making me feel better!

1Step glad the convention went well, a great experience I'm sure x

My oven blew on Thursday and I have been without hot food since then. I looked into getting a repair guy and was quoted 200 quid, and having just , over house I'm a bit poor this month, so thought I'd have to just put up with it til pay day. Popped into john lewis on the way home to collect some towels I'd ordered, and pottered into the kitchen ware to look at new cookers. Spotted the spares and repairs section, felt enlightened and brave, so bought a new element. Have just spent the last hour prodding, poking, unscrewing, screwing, swearing, praying, and tadaa! I've fixed my oven for £17.99! Hurrah! So proud of myself, and my cheeky oven chips I just ate to prove the oven Works! This would have definitely been a trigger last year! Life is better sober!

No news here really, just plodding through another week waiting for the weekend already!

Thinking of you all, much love xxx
Old 07-20-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hi Team A, I've been putting this off for some time. I owe you guys a big apology. I'm sorry for abandoning you after all your well needed support. I could tell you a lot about what I've been up to but it isn't really relevant to what everyone is doing here.

I told myself that I would not post here if I wasn't committed to sobriety. It's not fair to all of you working so hard. My job here has taken everything out of me. It's also been exactly the challenge I needed. Regrettably it has also taken my sobriety. But that is, as alway my choice. No disasters have ensued thankfully, I've just used it as a crutch. But my problem, it will always be with me. I'm just not dealing with it well because I'm not putting my own well being first.

Team August has been indispensable to getting me this far and I feel so bad letting you guys down. Letting myself down. I'll be back. But I can't come here and be truthful with you guys if I'm not walking the talk. I hope all of you are carrying on courageously. I'll touch base again when I am fully committed to the cause.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Hey Team! You know I'm not a counting guy but I did post about my one year (a few days early) on the Newcomers section just in case someone would benefit.

As always I'm proud to be a member of the team- and so proud of each of you.

I Used To Know This Guy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly one year ago I knew this guy who was a daily drinker. Good guy, good family, good job. Just drank to much too often.

He recognized there was an issue when he found himself thinking about alcohol too much- sometimes it would be he first thing that popped into his head in the morning. Sometimes he drank in the morning to manage a hangover.

So, he tried to reduce his alcohol. Drinking only with others, drinking only beer, drinking only a certain number per week, etc. He describes this exercise as mentally taxing and unsuccessful.

He flirted with quitting yet lacked the courage of those on this board to make an absolute decision. So, he continued to moderate until he nearly died.

A significant health issue allowed him greater clarity on the type of life this guy wanted to live and the legacy he wanted to leave. Ironically the health scare had nothing to do with alcohol but provided the push he needed to quit.

This guy approached the journey pretty untraditionally. No labels, no meetings, no counting. His keys?

1. Creating Intense Accountability and Accepting Forever Immediately by including his 10 year old in this decision to be healthier.

2. Recognizing and communicating that his decision is a choice, not punishment. Powerful.

3. Spending time on this website daily where being alcohol free is the norm rather than the exception. The thoughtfulness and generosity of spirit of those on the board is tremendous.

Fast forward a year or so. Saw the guy in the mirror today while shaving. He's happier, healthier, and more prosperous. Every aspect of his life has improved. He's contentedly working in tandem rather than against the Universe and his place in it. He's training for a marathon and an ultra marathon in October.

I'm proud of the courage and resolve that everyone on the board possesses (members or not) and genuinely beleive that everyone has the power within them to accomplish this epic goal.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good time at the conference, 1step!
Scooter, a growler of beer is a 500 ml jug that you can pick up from a brewery. Wow-sailing to Martha's Vineyard and a storm? Exciting! You'll find a way to get around the brandy cherries, And maybe even have extra lobster! Mmmmm....
Nice work, Pink! Sober power!!!!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Excellent post, Ultra! You (We!) have come such a long way this year. Powerful post, and supreme results from your efforts!

Doing something, post when you need to. Find the strength wherever you can, but right here is a good place to start. We'll welcome you anytime!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by doingsomething View Post
Hi Team A, I've been putting this off for some time. I owe you guys a big apology. I'm sorry for abandoning you after all your well needed support. I could tell you a lot about what I've been up to but it isn't really relevant to what everyone is doing here.

I told myself that I would not post here if I wasn't committed to sobriety. It's not fair to all of you working so hard. My job here has taken everything out of me. It's also been exactly the challenge I needed. Regrettably it has also taken my sobriety. But that is, as alway my choice. No disasters have ensued thankfully, I've just used it as a crutch. But my problem, it will always be with me. I'm just not dealing with it well because I'm not putting my own well being first.

Team August has been indispensable to getting me this far and I feel so bad letting you guys down. Letting myself down. I'll be back. But I can't come here and be truthful with you guys if I'm not walking the talk. I hope all of you are carrying on courageously. I'll touch base again when I am fully committed to the cause.
The longer you stay out there the harder it's going to get doingsomething.

I really hope you re-commit to recovery soon.

D
Old 07-21-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Happy Tuesday kids!

Thanks scooter, dee and 1step. Just scrape off the drunken cherries? Metaphor there somewhere too... Glad you made the meeting 1steo. Well done man!

Doing, I agree with dee. Maybe go back and read your first post here. The poison is really seductive at first, eventually the fangs start to show. Stay with us?

Top drawer ultra!! Loved the reflection, totally resonated.

High fives Choobie and pink. Great oven repair by the way, a head in the oven with tools is much better sober my friend!

Have a great day! High five to London, grateful, and anyone I my have missed.

"To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 07-21-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Pink, it is amazing what we can do now that we are sober! I SO related to your stove problem and solution! We can do so much more now than we could drinking!

DoingSomething, the best advice I can give you is to quit now. You are missing out on the best parts of life and don't even realize it - I certainly never did. You are spending time waiting for your next drink, worried that you drank too much, enduring horrible hangovers, worried that others can tell.........It is just so much better on the other side! Don't wait until it is too late.

Choobie, when you said to eat more lobster, I decided on my plan! I am going to eat, eat, eat. There will be appetizers, lobster, salads, corn on the cob , etc. I am then going to moan and groan and ask if I can please take my dessert to go - I will be just too, too full to enjoy it - I will ask if I can have the cake separate from the sauce so it does not get too soggy - the party is in Duxbury, which is between Boston and Plymouth, so that is a possibility with my ride home. So, now I have a plan, and I am relaxed and relieved and will be able to enjoy the party. Thanks!

Ultra, very powerful post - I think we should all reflect on the differences this year has brought to us. That will keep us grateful and remind us that we are not cured, just abstaining. It will be something to read when the av comes calling and tells us we can have a drink or two; how can we possibly be alcoholic if we haven't had a drink in more than a year?

London, how are you doing with the cigarettes?

Determined, I loved today's quote.

1Step, you sound great!

Grateful, how are things going? Rah? Ph7?

Let's keep on keeping on!

Greetings to everyone else!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-19-a.html
D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-21-2015 at 02:22 PM.