Notices

Can you make too many mistakes to ever come back from ;/

Old 05-06-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never met anyone who was a hopeless case.
You can't be the only college student with a DUI looking for a job - keep at it - and stay sober

D
Old 05-06-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

hi Free, the short answer to you question is "no". The only caveat to that is if you ended up dead from a mistake. I was about your age when I started pulling my life together and frankly I was surprised that I didn't end up dead or in prison, I knew too many that did. I now am married and own my own business and all that other happy stuff. The only thing we were not able to do was have children and that was by choice. Other than that I came back from the dead from all my mistakes. Trust me, if I can do it, you can.

I will provide you an example (and I hope not to offend anyone on this site), but I grew up in the country on 10 acres with a lake, big house, parents were well off and so on. And when I was at my worst and made the decision to get my life back together I would have moved to a big city and rented a studio apartment within walking distance of a job. My background was in personal training and construction, but I would have worked as a cashier at an art supply store if I had to. Anyway, I've blabbed long enough. You can do it.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as you're still breathing, you have a chance to turn your life around.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There are people who come back from losing everything! And not things that they lost because of drugs and drinking. There is always redemption and hope.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Chances

If they don't find out until they run the background check then you missed your opportunity to tell your version of events and sell yourself prior. You can't hide it so own it
Old 05-07-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

We're glad you are here, amigo.

I got sober when I was 31 and my life was a mess at the time.

I went through treatment and then AA when I got out.

And I slowing but surely got my life together.

If you get sober, you will go from being a poster child for alcoholism to Exhibit A for what recovery can do in a person's life.

That's what happened to me at your age.

You are blessed to have the vision and curiosity about sobriety that you do.

I hope that you get help and get clean and sober.

Please keep us posted.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you all., I have been touching base with anywhere I put an application into hoping for an interview. The next interview that I get I will be open about my background before they send off for it in hopes that it will make them understand that they can trust in me. Hoping also that all of these good vibes Im putting out into the universe will come back ten fold
Old 05-13-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It's nice to reply to say that I found a job! It's just part time but Hey it's a job. I did discuss my drinking past and it helped. So grateful to have something to feel good about 😀 #sober 12 days
Old 05-13-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

congratulations free2B.

I was going to mention that I lost a job at 55, now 56 and looking for a job and every one of the jobs I'm looking for require a background investigation. I sent my first app out last night. I have something 10 times worse than the 3 duis I have on record. I just hope my good looks and boyish charm can help me overcome it.

It's never too late to pick yourself up and start over. So the answer to the original question is NO.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Free2B84

D
Old 05-14-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I had the same problem, my convictions made me more or less unemployable. Best bet is to sign up with an agency, after you work somewhere for a bit let them know the situation if you've proved yourself and they have got to know you they are more likely to decide your pasts your past and hire you.

Although it still probably means working a job thats slightly beneath you, but its a good start.