Notices

Was it God or Belladonna?

Old 05-09-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I smoked some weed one time that I'm fairly certain was laced or treated with something else. Was part of my evening ritual before going to bed, but not on this night. I started shaking and trembling, and couldn't stop.
I had a surprisingly similar experience, including the God part. I am still reluctant to talk about it. Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone.

Just goes to show you, Belladonna is not the only substance than can trigger this sort of thing.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I had a surprisingly similar experience, including the God part. I am still reluctant to talk about it. Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone.

Just goes to show you, Belladonna is not the only substance than can trigger this sort of thing.
I didn`t experience anything like you or Joe. However, I did feel something after my first meeting. I felt I no longer needed to drink.

Of course, I didn`t trust myself to stay sober so I felt it best not to mention AA.

This too was a good idea because I never put pressure on myself. I didn't want to talk about my not drinking. (Outside of AA that is...)

It`s always been one day at a time for me. That`s one aspect of the program I instinctively got.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Some of the spiritual remarks made by Bill W seem to often be questioned.

MM
Old 05-09-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Some of the spiritual remarks made by Bill W seem to often be questioned.
Of course. If it made sense... It wouldn't be spiritual.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

For many years during his childhood, Bill Wilson repeatedly heard that his paternal grandfather William C. (“Willie”) Wilson had been cured of alcoholism in a conversion experience atop Mt. Aeolus in Bill’s home town village of East Dorset, Vermont.

Throughout his youth, Bill was exposed to the account of his grandfather’s conversion and cure of alcoholism. And his exposure to the Bible, to religious training, and to spiritual growth was far more substantial than has previously been known.

For example, Bill and his paternal and maternal families attended the East Dorset Congregational Church. There they listened to sermons, and recited the confession and creed. There were tent meetings and revivals, and Bill witnessed conversions. Moreover, Bill and his maternal grandfather, Fayette Griffith, read the Bible individually and together. Grandfather Fayette enrolled Bill in the East Dorset Congregational Church Sunday school. We are still investigating what transpired of a religious nature, if anything, during Bill’s residence in Rutland, Vermont. However, during his matriculation at Burr and Burton Academy in Manchester, Vermont, Bill regularly attended the daily chapel, and heard Scripture reading. He attended the required weekly church service at the Manchester Congregational Church. He took a required, four-year Bible study course at the Academy.

From dickB.com

My guess is that the belladona made him susceptible to believing he had a spiritual experience which cured him of his hopeless state of mind and body just like his grandfather claimed, and just like the tent revival meetings he went to as a child.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

If you believe it was God do you also believe what it says in the aa book pass it on about the Ouija board. That he talk to archangels and st francis and friends in purgatory.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The bible would say it was something else if he was dabbling in Ouija boards. I thought that was your problem with it dsmaxis.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I distinguish "psychic" from "spiritual" actually. Psychic experiences have been happening to me since childhood and they continued through my drinking years. Many people refer to them as "spiritual" and I do too for ease of conversation (as earlier in this thread) but I make a distinction internally between them. And, really, those experiences are what indicated to me that I'm more than body and mind. However, for me, my own "spiritual experiences" (two of them) were transforming and that's what sets them apart. One transformed both my body and my mind. As a result of it, while I had to exert will power not to drink before, today I would have to exert will power to drink. That's not to say the other "spiritual experience" previous to it wasn't equally transforming; it just didn't involve alcohol. Both, however, did involve God as I came to understand Him through them and left me knowing rather than believing.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Bill be trippin. What ever he experienced it might have stopped him from drinking but certainly did not cure him of his defects of character. Certainly all of his shortcomings were not removed. Did make him a good career though and made for great dogma. Kind of like any cult of personality throughout times.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

We have to keep a close eye on the Truth so as to discern which spirit's are reveling themselves to us. A first step is acknowledging that there are good and bad spirit's.

Mountainman
Old 05-09-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

After reading what fresh start shared I suspect he might have been spiritually abused. There is only one way out of that and it's the same way you came in.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post

After reading what fresh start shared I suspect he might have been spiritually abused.
I think that only evil spirits can do that ??

Just some food for thought --

What Are The Works of Demons

Several activities are identified in the Bible in which demons may be involved. Sometimes they are responsible for physical disease or mental suffering. While not all mental disorders are demonic in origin, some apparently are. Demons are also credited with tempting people to engage in immoral practices. They are the originators and propagators of the false doctrines taught by heretical religious groups. The Bible also teaches that some people were possessed by demons. Demons are committed to evil, yet God will use them to accomplish his plan during the end of the world.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Did make him a good career though and made for great dogma. Kind of like any cult of personality throughout times.
Bill struggled financially for nearly 20 years. To say he got rich off of AA is a streeeeeeetch of the truth.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
[I]
My guess is that the belladona made him susceptible to believing he had a spiritual experience which cured him of his hopeless state of mind and body just like his grandfather claimed, and just like the tent revival meetings he went to as a child.
Bill did'nt need to believe it. He knew it, and history is proof of that.

Bill's spiritual experience removed his desire to drink. There was no fighting with an egodystonic voice in his head. The desire was gone. He needed to spread the word of the solution he had found. Seems to me he did a fairly good job of that, and coincidently it seems to have worked for a few other people as well.

Of course they might have all been trippin on belladonna too, but something tells me that they weren't. I wonder how that happened? I'm sure there are lots of good rational explanations for this from those who did not experience it themselves, and that these explanations are far better than the ones from the people who actually experienced it.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Bill's spiritual experience removed his desire to drink. There was no fighting with an egodystonic voice in his head. The desire was gone. He needed to spread the word of the solution he had found. Seems to me he did a fairly good job of that, and coincidently it seems to have worked for a few other people as well.
That is my experience as well. I have not had to " fight with an egodystonic voice in my head" even once since. If it sounds like I am bragging .... I am just spreading the word. It is an experience anyone who works for it can have. It is not an experience that years of not-drinking can duplicate.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Fighting, struggling with a voice in one's head, ego-dystonic or otherwise, is a losing proposition. That is a mug's game and crazy-making. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Bill struggled financially for nearly 20 years. To say he got rich off of AA is a streeeeeeetch of the truth.
Orange papers goes into detail how he got a salary.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok...4 pages is pretty good.
I think it's time...this dead horse is well and truly beaten.

Originally Posted by Rule Two
The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose.

Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere.
Let all go and help someone who needs our help

Dee
SR