Notices

Counting sheep

Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counting sheep

I'm sure I'm not alone in having heard the suggestion to count sheep if wrestling to get to sleep. The reason this suggestion, or your own personal variation of this suggestion, is so effective, is because it occupies the mind. Which, for me at least, is the primary reason I might be having trouble in nodding off. It is in fact a form of meditation. A singular, intentional, focusing of the mind on a thought object you are declaring. Rather than the typical compulsive chatter which just happens to us as the result of having a human brain. Unsolicited thoughts which quite often keep one awake.

To me, this illustrates a means for addressing my addictive thinking as well. As soon as the unsolicited thoughts come to prod me into old destructive ways, I can immediately shift gears and count sheep. Or, in my case, recite my mantra of "God help me, God give me the willingness, God give me the strength". I do this for several minutes, stop, and see if the harmful thoughts are still there. If not, I go on about my day. If they remain, I start the mantra again while looking up a friends number to call and bring them out into the light. Which usually evaporates them immediately.

How important it is in this disease to exert some semblance of control of the mind. Because today, it's not a drinking problem, but a thinking problem I contend with.

Meditation: it's not what you think.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

my third sponsor was a real old timer
one night after a meeting,a young guy said something about going home and counting sheep
the old timer responded
don`t count sheep,count your blessings

about one month later,I was at a AA mens campout.I went to bed kinda early and heard a lot of talk coming from around the campfire.I lay there having trouble going to sleep.I remembered what the oldtimer said and I started counting my blessings.The next thing I knew it was morning.I had a good nights sleep and to my surprise,I woke up feeling good and grateful.........it worked for me
Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't had sleep issues since I was a teenager. After that I slept like rock. However, sleep was a method I used to escape unpleasant situation. It can be a bad thing.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
Meditation: it's not what you think.
Meditation: it's what you think not.