Class of April 2015 Part 2

Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back SCF

D
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Welcome back SCF! I too began in July last year and just made it back!! Main thing is that we're here!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hi. Still sober. Working 16 hour days and haven't posted. But I'm still in this class.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Good to see u again Tang and better to know you're doing okay.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - checking in. I haven't been posting here much, but still fighting the fight. Hope you all are well.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Is anyone getting the "it's a shame you can't be normal and just have a social drink like everybody else" stuff from their partner?

I'm finding it really difficult. I say I wish she could try to be more supportive and she says that she "did" supportive all last summer and I just came off the wagon anyway. I guess drinking just wears everybody down... Guess I'm lucky to still have her despite it all. I'll need to win back a lot of points :-/
Old 04-24-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Good morning. A bit of a headache and a poor night's sleep, but at least it is part of the healing process. I think what I hate most about getting sober is that vague sense of doom that follows me around. It's as if I really ****** up bad, I can't remember what, but it is just about to catch up to me. I guess it is a feeling I am just going to have to work my way through.

Yesterday after work, I challenged my beast to move my fingers. It couldn't. It is entirely dependent upon me to carry out any actions. I stayed sober and acted like a dad. It was a good day.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Is anyone getting the "it's a shame you can't be normal and just have a social drink like everybody else" stuff from their partner?

...I guess drinking just wears everybody down... Guess I'm lucky to still have her despite it all.
Not directly, but when a "normal" drinking situation arises, she will ask if I want a beer (despite having talked to her about quitting).

Our alcoholic antics do wear them down. We our unreliable, unstable, and very demanding. Our alcoholic life tends to dominate everything and slowly everyone involved becomes sucked in. I think most partners either become shattered shells of their former selves, or they become fed-up and move on to a normal life they deserve.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post
Today I told my mom that I quit drinking for good. I knew that I needed a plan for this weekend, because every weekend for the last four months I've caved to the AV. Having someone that can help hold me accountable is what I need. She's been asking me to quit/drink less for a long time - my Dad is an alcoholic and has been sober for 15+ years. I knew I needed to reach out to her but it felt kind of weird, like I didn't want her to think I'm quitting for her (because she's been nagging me about it for so long). I am absolutely quitting for me. Has anyone else experienced weird feelings like that when you tell a significant other/family member who has been asking you to quit for a long time? Regardless, I am very happy I made a plan for the weekend and will be in a safe place. Onward and upward!
This is great news. I did feel kind of liberated when I told my partner that I was giving up the drink. Keep going!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

I love this part amp!

"sobriety is like doing the dishes. if you wait until you have all of dirty dishes collected in one place, plates scraped, silverware soaking — before you can begin, then youll want to wait until your perfect life is perfect until you attempt sobriety (doesn€™t happen)."
Old 04-24-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentCinemaFan View Post
Hey all, it's been since July 2014 since I last came on here. I had hit the 6 month mark last year and decided I was okay again. That slip up pretty much generated an up and down roller coaster the next several months leading up to the early part of this year. I am pretty sick of doing this to myself over and over again. This is a pretty random day to start my sobriety but I'm sick of this. Anyway, I stayed sober last time for like 6 months due to the support of this forum and I believe if I start posting again, I'll get back to a long sobriety again. Thank you for reading.
Welcome back. Six months is a great achievement and if you've had a think about what went wrong and how you can change it this time, that's great :-)
Old 04-24-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Get to see a counselor today.
The last time I saw one was two years ago when I came off oxi's. Since then, I became divorced, lost my job, and started drinking like a fish all day long. This should be an interesting visit. I'm going to the same facility.

I'm really hoping the same counselor I had before isn't there. I had overcome addiction to smokeless tobacco and oxi cottons when I stopped going. Now I'm worse than before. If I do see the same person, at least I know that will be better for me. Sure...I'll be ashamed of the direction I've gone, but she'll better understand my M.O.

Big day. Taking a step.
One of my issues is taking those small steps to achieve goals that seem impossible. I have many pressing issues that I let get unmanageable because I didn't act.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
One of my issues is taking those small steps to achieve goals that seem impossible. I have many pressing issues that I let get unmanageable because I didn't act.
Goal setting and small daily actions towards them is such a critical life skill. For most of my life, I had no goals, want things immediately, and favored "tomorrow" as my plan. The other secret I learned late in life is that I am solely responsible for determining my life's purpose.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

We continue here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D