Notices

I may have done permanent damage

Old 04-02-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have made 8 months before. I hope I can stay the course for longer. It really doesn't get any better going back out. Its a friggin nightmare. I don't know why I think after some time that this time its going to be fun. Those days are long gone. Like someone said, its just poison. Poisons my body, my soul, my finances, my outlook on life. thanks all again. I have to learn to live sober and enjoy it, instead of merely abstaining.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I drank heavily and daily for years. The first time I took a break from drinking was about twelve years ago and I didn't quit on purpose, I think I had heat stroke but never went to the hospital. I knew nothing then about withdrawal or anxiety from withdrawal. So there I was. Not drinking as much as I had been after a couple of days sober. Having trouble eating anything. Mt stomach was awful. But I managed a few beers. Then the anxiety started. And keep up. Then panic attacks. Bent double because my stomach hurt. I thought I was having a heart attack. I was shaky. I felt faint a lot and really unsteady on my feet. I was still drinking off and on but never linked it to the anxiety cycle. It went on like that for several weeks. Up to a month. I'd like to say I quit drinking but the anxiety went away because I poured myself back into full time drunkenness.

The anxiety and Panic kept up until I quit for good. No sneaking a bit to ease the pain. But it did take about a month for it to get substantially better. It did get better.

Keep seeing your doctor. Rule out stuff but I'd say you will be feeling much better once you have a good month of sober time under your belt. Be well and hang in there.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losteverything View Post
I have made 8 months before. I hope I can stay the course for longer. It really doesn't get any better going back out. Its a friggin nightmare. I don't know why I think after some time that this time its going to be fun. Those days are long gone. Like someone said, its just poison. Poisons my body, my soul, my finances, my outlook on life. thanks all again. I have to learn to live sober and enjoy it, instead of merely abstaining.
Excellent words, of course you can stay sober and enjoy it
Old 04-10-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you all...

I so much appreciate the support of this site. You all are giving, compassionate people. I am still sober, going strong, with no will or intent on poisoning myself any further. I am still suffering with shaking hands. I have to see the doctor every week. He believes that it might be a reaction to tolerance being developed with some of my medications, so he is tweaking the meds out, trying to find a satisfactory level. I still have anxiety, and extreme panic attacks, but I will not lift any alcohol to my lips anymore. I thank each and everyone of you for your continued support and encouragement. It took me a long time to get here..
Old 04-10-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Look at it as a few weeks worth of healing that you've done for yourself.

A few weeks is a lot of alcohol you didn't ingest. At the rate of 2 fifths every 3 days (guilty here), that would be 10.5 L at the rate I was drinking.

Your liver thanks you. Well done and keep fighting! Seeing a doctor is the nemesis of addiction, so it's wonderful that you're doing that.