Notices

Food and drink as a package

Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Food and drink as a package

There is this real dive of a bar near my office. I started going there decades ago, back when I was still in school. They have the best steak sandwiches I've ever had. And they are very inexpensive.

So I don't go there anymore. Not bc I think I might drink, I know I won't but I know a place like that only serves food like that to draw in customers for alcohol. If you just go eat there, they lose money. I don't want to P!ss them off. But I sure would like to have a steak sandwich there once in a while.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

i'd go in and get a steak sandwich and think nothing of it personally. But being that its a bar in my case my larger concern would be the booze surrounding me etc...
Old 03-31-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get it "to go" or "takeaway" and skeedadle out of there and enjoy the sandwich.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Get it "to go" or "takeaway" and skeedadle out of there and enjoy the sandwich.

Like I said, I'm not going to be tempted to drink. I've got super powers when it comes to resisting drink. I just feel bad about taking advantage of them.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What? I've worked in bar/restaurants for lots of years. They just want you to go in, period.

Why would you care? You're spending money. There is actually a higher margin of profit on soft drinks like tea, coffee, soda pop.

Lots of people eat in bars and don't drink. Lots. Only drinkers would worry about pissing off bar owners Bar owners want any and all monies.

You'd pizz them off if you went in and spent $3 and then sat there for three hours when they are busy, yeah. Those were the ones who were aggravating. Then they leave 40 cents.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

I too have developed super nondrinking abilities, but can't for the life of me imagine denying myself a steaksandwich, anywhere anytime, I doubt that will ever change.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
What? I've worked in bar/restaurants for lots of years. They just want you to go in, period.

Why would you care? You're spending money. There is actually a higher margin of profit on soft drinks like tea, coffee, soda pop.
Really!? I did not know that. Ok, then. That was easy. Problem solved.

Bimi,,, what do you know about (thinking of next big problem he has)

Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
i too have developed super nondrinking abilities, but can't for the life of me imagine denying myself a steaksandwich, anywhere anytime, i doubt that will ever change.
lol!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was at a bartender for years and had loads of regulars that didn't drink. It never bothered me, they all still tipped well and usually I liked them being around because I seemed to have better conversations with my regulars that weren't all toasty by noon.

Bottom line: I just wouldn't worry about it. If you feel guilty maybe just throw them some extra tip.