Notices

To the doctors?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cjwat View Post
And what was the outcome ? I don't know how to describe the brain thing its like end of nerves tingle , it could also though be down to fact when I drink I smoke....and this could simply be withdrawal from the smoking
I had complete blood profile, and all my levels with the exception of cholesterol were within the normal range. The high cholesterol is hereditary. There were about 9 things on the profile that were listed. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

Just an FYI on my alcohol history, I didn't really drink too much until about 10 years ago, went 5-6 years drinking daily after work (3-4 drinks), then about 3 years ago, I quit drinking entirely during the week and I've exercised all my life. The math may not add up correctly but I think you get the gist of it.
The particular bender I'm referring to was something I have never done before or since, it was around the clock booze and I went through what I considered pretty bad withdrawal, I thought the responsible thing was to get checked out as I've never poured that much booze down my throat before.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

but say what ? I think they will just tell me off, if anyone has done similar that would be great to hear . I do have an appointment its 2 weeks today!! This is the UK NHS for you!!
Just be honest. No point going to a Dr if you only tell them half the story.

If they tell you off you've gotten the wrong Dr. for the job.

D
Old 03-31-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Court jester

I am not saying I am not alco though or I am, I guess time will tell if I can live without it.
Welcome! I concur with many other posters here that a doctor's visit is in good order. However, I hope that any reassurances you receive are not the kind that make you say, "Oh good, I can continue my pattern of drinking". Typically, I have found that those who do not have a problem do not question it as you did earlier. However, this is your journey my friend, and noone can tell you who or what you are other than yourself!

Keep us all posted on how things go this week and this weekend. I will look forward to seeing the updates!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I drank, every health niggle I put down to alcohol.
I checked my eyes for signs of jaundice.
I felt my liver area and any swelling or pain I was convinced I was seriously ill.
Any bruising or skin rashes and I thought that was the end.

The minute I stopped drinking, those health worries ended.
They stopped.
That mental torture was over.

If you stop drinking, you won't do anymore damage to your health.
I doubt you will have done any damage anyway, but I think checking is good.

Also, the appointment might be for 2 weeks time.
But its great that we have the NHS, where we can go see a doctor and get good treatment and advice.
Some people in this world have no access to such treatment.
In the meantime if you feel 2 weeks is too long to wait, there are emergency services.
However, I think if you stop drinking, sleep well, rehydrate yourself with water, eat well, try to calm down and put things into perspective, I think you will feel like a completely different person in terms of your health.

The thing is, if you get a clean bill of health, will you still want to stop drinking?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This thread reminded me of Paul O's story in the Big Book, which always raises a wry smile in me.

".....The neurologist in charge of my case didn't think to ask me if I drank and I didn't think to tell him.... I happened to be the best diagnostician that I knew at the the time, and I certainly knew my case better than anyone else. So I sat down with me, and went over the facts behind the convulsions; personality changes; daily headaches; sense of impending doom; sense of impending insanity. Suddenly it was obvious to me. I had a brain tumour and was going to die and everyone would be sorry for me..." (Acceptance was the answer: The big Book)

I am another one who went to the Doctors and told him everything except what he REALLY needed to know (i.e. my drinking) and anything I was embarrassed about (i.e. pretty much everything - it was a really short conversation!!) and then spent months afterwards cursing the fact that he didn't care; hadn't helped; was a bl**dy useless doctor; should be reported.

What a nut I was!!

If you go to see the doctor and are less than completely honest, it will be a pointless waste of time, and pretty much an exercise in eliciting the response that your Alcoholic Voice is begging for (i.e. "Ohhh, just cut down, X units per week is fine").

Good luck. I hope you manage to get some helpful advice. x
Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi cjwat

How are you doing today?

I notice you have had some fairly confrontational answers on this thread - and I don't mean that in a negative way. I think it is a gift when people talk straight but it is not always easy to hear - especially when you feel a bit vulnerable.

I think people are just willing you to really take a hold of this and really enjoy the benefits of health and clean living.

None of us know your medical status, of course. If any of us seems at all dismissive about the serious of your symptoms I am sure that is not the intention. Too many of us really know the depth and frankly the horror of after-binge withdrawals. But we also know that, overwhelmingly, they are temporary....with abstinence. Just cutting down a bit tends not to deliver in my experience.

I am really learning to listen to the 'old hands' here. Everyone has different perspectives. Some think in terms of spirituality, some are far more secular, some follow a programme and some don't. Everyone as a different story and different experiences. But...

...there are some truths shared by most, it seems.
  • One is that consequences get worse over time, not better - if drinking continues.
  • Another is that you need a fair bit of sober time to get the real benefits - at least weeks and probably months.
  • Another is that binges can never play a harmless part in the life of anyone who has had problems with alcohol.

Just accepting those basic principles (after 20 years of denying them) has already changed my life for the better.

So, I am rooting for you. I hope all goes well with the doctor and I really hope that you choose to get some meaningful sober time in and enjoy the benefits. They are plentiful!

Let us know how you go on and keep posting! :-)

Best wishes to you

CC

NB (full disclosure) Since I am only on day 18, I am of course no expert on long term sobriety - hence my 'old hands' recommendation.
That said, I have done 20 years of the other stuff, so I do know a bit about that! :-)
Old 04-01-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chordcowboy View Post
Hi cjwat

How are you doing today?

I notice you have had some fairly confrontational answers on this thread - and I don't mean that in a negative way. I think it is a gift when people talk straight but it is not always easy to hear - especially when you feel a bit vulnerable.

I think people are just willing you to really take a hold of this and really enjoy the benefits of health and clean living.

None of us know your medical status, of course. If any of us seems at all dismissive about the serious of your symptoms I am sure that is not the intention. Too many of us really know the depth and frankly the horror of after-binge withdrawals. But we also know that, overwhelmingly, they are temporary....with abstinence. Just cutting down a bit tends not to deliver in my experience.

I am really learning to listen to the 'old hands' here. Everyone has different perspectives. Some think in terms of spirituality, some are far more secular, some follow a programme and some don't. Everyone as a different story and different experiences. But...

...there are some truths shared by most, it seems.
  • One is that consequences get worse over time, not better - if drinking continues.
  • Another is that you need a fair bit of sober time to get the real benefits - at least weeks and probably months.
  • Another is that binges can never play a harmless part in the life of anyone who has had problems with alcohol.

Just accepting those basic principles (after 20 years of denying them) has already changed my life for the better.

So, I am rooting for you. I hope all goes well with the doctor and I really hope that you choose to get some meaningful sober time in and enjoy the benefits. They are plentiful!

Let us know how you go on and keep posting! :-)

Best wishes to you

CC

NB (full disclosure) Since I am only on day 18, I am of course no expert on long term sobriety - hence my 'old hands' recommendation.
That said, I have done 20 years of the other stuff, so I do know a bit about that! :-)
I am all good thanks , had a good couple of days, work gym yesterday and sauna tonight. LAst day work tomorrow, then 4 day weekend. I am pretty happy with myself, firstly as I was drinking at least one day in week which I haven't done for 2 weeks, at least that is something I will of only drank one day in 14 Saturday, which is better then the 6 previous I feel