Notices

Hope this works..

Old 03-29-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope this works..

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd introduced myself. First day here and to be honest I've had a couple drinks already. So, yeah, Im an alcoholic. I've been for many years but it didn't become a real problem until recently. I used to be engaged and we were planning to start a family and all that crap until I messed everything up one drunk night. Won't go into details, nothing bad, just can't.. but let me just say when I sobered up the morning after and I realized she was gone, my world fell apart. Didn't show up for work and got fired (yay!) and 3 days later learnt one of my good friend commited suicide. What a week, let me tell ya! All that happened in June 2014, went on a binge drinking session for about 3-4 months and one day I decided enough was enough.

October 28 2014. I quit smoking, still haven't restarted, and stopped getting drunk until January this year. My first mistake was thinking I could control my drinking. Sure, it worked for about 3 months, with 1-2 times where I actually got drunk, but it beats the prior daily drunkenness. Those 3 months were actually good for me. I restarted working out, eating healthy and all. Even got a promotion, and a big one on top of that. Which is exactly when it started going downhill again..

So, my new job consist in, guess what, managing the alcohol inventory of 3 hotels and 2 restaurant. My boss knows I'm an alcoholic, so when he asked if it would be a problem my AV said "GO FOR IT, I'LL KEEP QUIET, I PROMISE". Remember, things were going good, I was controlling my alcohol intake like a champ and thought this would be just as easy. Was I ever wrong! Been drinking like no tomorrow since I spend my days counting and buying liquor for a living.

So, I decided this past Friday I have to quit this job. It won't be easy as I drank all my savings which means I can't just quit without finding another job. I also decided I have to leave this town. I live in Banff, anyone who knows the lifestyle that comes with working in a touristic town will understand why. Anyway, it is already too late for today to be my first sober day. I should go before my beer gets warm. Hopefully tomorrow..

Thanks for reading
Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by Starck View Post
Anyway, it is already too late for today to be my first sober day. I should go before my beer gets warm. Hopefully tomorrow..
You can start your sober journey by dumping what you have and switching to something non-alcoholic. You might think it doesn't matter, as you have already been drinking. But it matters, and more than ceremonially. It means you are serious about quitting.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not too late to start today if you get rid of the alcohol you have.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I know. My rational self knows all that but the voice in my head is really strong as I never tried to silence it down until now, never cared to. And it is just so nice to forget for a couple hours.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Stark.

I agree with the others; start now by pouring out all the alcohol.

Hop on the path to sobriety, recovery and a better way.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alright, I just dumped all my alcohol down the drain.. Not without breaking a sweat and Im kinda shaky right now but it feels good. Thanks everyone, should've registered here a while ago. I think this might just work..
Old 03-29-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Starck!!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alright, I just dumped all my alcohol down the drain.. Not without breaking a sweat and Im kinda shaky right now but it feels good. Thanks everyone, should've registered here a while ago. I think this might just work..
Awesome, Starck.

I just poured the rest of my pot of coffee in your honor (one addiction at a time).

Drink plenty of water and get as much rest as possible.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Starck

You can pour it away youl feel better for it you can do this
Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Starck! Great job dumping the alcohol.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dumping the alcohol was both wise and courageous Starck. Two useful tools in your armoury to maintain sobriety too
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you, Starck?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you dumped it Starck - welcome to SR

D
Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Putting down the drink was very hard for me, but I did it and don't regret it. Only wish I'd done it sooner.

You'll find lots of support and useful info here.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ohhh, you live in Banff??? I used to live in Canmore (15 mins down the road), had the Three Sister Mountains right outside our condo. God do I miss that lifestyle. Work hard, then when stressed, we always had our season passes to Sunshine.

But yeah, you're right, Banff isn't exactly the greatest place for an alcoholic. At the same time, it's very difficult to beat Banff anywhere in this world. It's an amazing place, as I'm sure you know. Where do you plan to move? Regardless of your choice, all the best to you in the future!

If you ever need to chat with someone who knows the area / culture / lifestyle out there well, hit me up.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
How are you, Starck?
I am doing great! Thanks for asking. Haven't had a drink since I started this thread. Was invited for drinks today, 2 friends are leaving town. I feel bad because I said yes at work and after thinking about it decided not to go as I don't think I could stick to lemon water for too too long in that setting. Gotta do what's best for me!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Ohhh, you live in Banff??? I used to live in Canmore (15 mins down the road), had the Three Sister Mountains right outside our condo. God do I miss that lifestyle. Work hard, then when stressed, we always had our season passes to Sunshine.
I lived in Canmore on and off since 2008, mostly spending summers here and going back to Edmonton in winters. Kinda miss it, way less touristy than Banff.

Where do you plan to move? Regardless of your choice, all the best to you in the future!
I am not sure if I am going to move just yet. Im going to try being sober for a bit first before ditching my job. It's the kind of opportunity that comes once in a blue moon, and as you said, it's difficult to beat Banff anywhere in this world.

If you ever need to chat with someone who knows the area / culture / lifestyle out there well, hit me up.
Thanks for the offer, not too sure how to contact someone privately, will look into that after I'm back from the bar. Jk
Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are sticking to your resolve and welcome to the forum! We are happy to have you.