Notices

What's an real alcoholic?

Old 03-28-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Been in the same situation with stress and boredom.

I made a plan which has to include many areas, what to do when bored, what to do when alone and bored and what to do when stressed...ect

I have gotten a lot better at turning off the urge with lists that I can go to as soon as I get a craving.

I have small things I do like work on my fish tank, prepare something to eat later on, go sit in the sauna, wash clothes...ect. Usually once I get into one of these things I forget all about my cravings.

I also have my wife who is very supportive and does not try and push booze or drink around me.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I do not know why but it decided to post this ^^^ twice so now I have to type this because I can not delete a post.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

can you easily live without drinking?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me I didn't dwell on the definition of "alcoholic", because really where does that lead, instead I needed to recognise alcohol was causing problems in my life and i needed to find solutions to sorting that out whatever that took!!

You can do this James!!
Old 03-28-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was definitely a real alcoholic. I couldn't stop drinking once I started. And I got very tired of waking up feeling like death warmed over and hating myself.

I finally gave it up for good and have never been happier with my life.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
can you easily live without drinking?
I'd like to think so.

AFTER reading all everyone's thoughts, I found easy, for the first time in weeks, not to drink today. Thanks everyone I've got my motivation back again.

JS
Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
Hi All

There are so many things in your replies that touch home, non so much as FLYNBUY.

"Willingness and acceptance" ... Acceptance is easily said but not so easily achieved as AV keeps trying to convince me otherwise. Willingness is probably the great problem to me ... To get rid of a friend who was there in my darkest moment. The last few years though this 'friend', has taken control of my life and is slowly but surely weaving a life path of destruction.
I've tried AA, doctors, physiocologists, meditation, seditatives ... All offered temporary relieve.

SR ... Seems to be different. Ever time I visit here it adds to my resolve.

I'm back on the bike.

Have a good day everyone.
Why was AA just temporary relief? If you work it, it can be a 24-hour a day, 7 days a week programme to get past the AV and work on your willingness and acceptance. The meetings are the tip of the iceberg.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Why was AA just temporary relief? If you work it, it can be a 24-hour a day, 7 days a week programme to get past the AV and work on your willingness and acceptance. The meetings are the tip of the iceberg.
From my first meeting I didn't drink for 2 weeks but a couple of members thought, I was lying, and it was their duty to show me their way. Your 2nd and third sentence was shoved down my throat. My family and I were woken up several times by phone calls at 2am to see how I was going. Nope not for me. I was feeling good till then.
Don't get me wrong, some great people there but some not so.
If it works for you, I'm glad but it's not for me.
I did CBT and stayed sober for 28days and SR for over 50days so I figure, I'll keep going here.
When I can say I can't remember when I gave due to the number of years, I'll be happy.
JS
Old 03-29-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Phone calls at 2am?? Oh my goodness! That would have put me off as well. Sounds like my experience of it has been VERY different that yours.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

PS - Sorry if my reply sounded like I was trying to shove it down your throat. It was a genuine question re why it only ended up being temporary relief. Maybe I need to not post when I've not been up long - I probably could have worded it better. No offence or judgement intended.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
PS - Sorry if my reply sounded like I was trying to shove it down your throat. It was a genuine question re why it only ended up being temporary relief. Maybe I need to not post when I've not been up long - I probably could have worded it better. No offence or judgement intended.
No worries, I took it as you may have thought I was critical of AA. On the contrary, I have a lot of respect for the brave people that go to AA and AA has helped thousands of people over the years.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

For me, when asking what is a real alcoholic is like asking what is the best tasting pizza? What makes a great hot dog? Best hamburger? Best ice-cream? And so on... its really so subjective.

For me, being alcoholic is a state of being with respect to alcohol. I respond to alcohol in specific manifestations of illness of mind, body, and spirit. My response is chronically established in my psyche. I can keep my alcoholism in remission, but I can't cure it. As it turns out, I don't need a cure. Remission is more than enough to get on with living my life free from the horrors of active alcoholism.

So, I'm thinking that makes me a real enough alcoholic even though I'll never ever have a drink again, lol.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I agree, they have helped thousands of people, and continue to do so. Not by phoning them at 2am though eh!! Lol. (My OH would go nuts if anyone from AA phoned at night and I'd have a bloody domestic on my hands then!)
Old 03-29-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

A real alcoholic usually in time gets fired from their job. But note, some hang in there for many years only to be fired just before they receive their retirements. Seen many with just a few years short of retirement lose everything spouse, house, children etc etc.
Mountainman