Notices

Still not sure

Old 03-27-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still not sure

I keep coming back here not 100% sure why I use, then i dont.Do I only come here out of guilt or do i really want to stop.I suppose I am what is called a functioning addict,Good job,Home,Car etc etc but every few weeks i have a blow out is this normal and under control or do i need to stop ?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sniffyguy, hello mate.... You sound a lot like me, my main three vices were weed (daily), drink and cocaine weekly and gambling 247..... Yes you are a functional addict however it sounds like this isn't under control... You maybe keep coming back because you do want to stop, however your Av (addction voice) agrues its okay.... You have to make the choice, however life has more to offer than feeding our addictions... After 11 years selfishly and blindley feeding my addictions I'm now 8 weeks clean from everything and my life has improved immeasurably.... I wish you all the luck.... Check out my post in a seperate thread in terms of 'do I have this under control'.... I'll copy link below
Old 03-27-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-own-mind.html
Old 03-27-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good post and sounds just like me i have been doing this for forty years now Do I stop or just say F*** It and carry on ?
Old 03-28-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stop.... Choose life
Old 03-28-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Functioning is a stage of addiction, not a type of addict. And you are probably not as functioning as you think.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SniffyGuy50 View Post
I keep coming back here not 100% sure why I use, then i dont.Do I only come here out of guilt or do i really want to stop.I suppose I am what is called a functioning addict,Good job,Home,Car etc etc but every few weeks i have a blow out is this normal and under control or do i need to stop ?

I might get some negative feed-back from this one, but here's how I look at it.

If you find yourself flirting with quitting but haven't been able to stop, then it might be a problem.

However, with that said,

Is snorting cocaine bad? Sure it is--Its cut with a variety of nasty chemicals(like levamisole) and other odd things (laxatives)and can be highly addictive.

Can some people handle it? Again, I'd say yes (but of course I wouldn't recommend trying it to find out)

We fall into different categories. There are users, abusers, and addicts. I know people whom use recreationally and do just fine with it--they can sniff a bit on a holiday or at a party and then return to normal (similar to the social drinker). But then others (like myself) don't fare so well, lol.

The lines between these categories can get blurry but they do exist.

If its causing problems for you/your life, quit.

Try this out: You say that you have a "blow out" every few weeks--instead of having that next blow-out, skip it and try going several months without it. If you have any difficulties with abstaining, then you've probably got a drug problem imo.