Notices

60 days sober can't sleep ... Anybody else?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Malamute100, 60 days sober is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. I'm with you on taking drugs to get off drugs, although I would follow a doctors advice. What I have done more than anything else is just suffer through problems that show up and at 4 years 8 months sober I don't have cravings and urges to use, more money in my pocket, and I work on all my other problems, rootin for ya.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by malamute100 View Post
Hi
I'm now 60 days sober , if you have time to read my other posts you will know what hell it's been for me and my family .

I'm writing this post today as to try and get some reasurance from others that have experienced or experiencing the same .

Basically the insomia has kicked in big time .
Over the last three weeks I've been completing a sleep diary and I'm only getting 2 nights of prober 8 hours sleep a week .
I can go for 3 nights in a row with no sleep whatsoever .
It feels like sombody is squeezing my brain or that I habe consumed 10 energy drinks .
It is like a switch that is either on meaning no sleep and eyes wide open or off back to normal sleep and nap fine .
It's terrible ,,, ive tried all the stuff recommended like hot baths , herbal tea , fan near the bed but nothing .

I now havent slept at all last night , in fact it's Friday and the last time I slept properly was Sunday night . I've also worked out on the nights I do get 8 hours I wake up really anxious , foggy headed and depressed . Strange ?

Have I really damaged my brain that much with binge drinking ?

I have zopicone sleeping tablets the Dr said try but they gave me massive depression to the extent I was crying and they make me a nervous wreck so I don't wanna take those .

I now have to drive 150 miles to work , I'm not scared of falling asleep at the wheel because I can't sleep but what I am worried about is passing out from the head ache and dizzyness I have
Also I can't do my job proberly as my mind is so tired . What is even worse in my case is that I was born with a curvature to the bottom of my spine and I need sleep to stop the pain from that

Please is this insomnia normal in 60 days recovery , can anybody help me ,has anybody else had the same and will it go away ???

Thanks
Really tired and wired malamute

I was reading this old post of yours and was wondering if you ever started to sleep normally again. If so, were you ever to able to get at least six hours of sleep without meds? How long did you stay sober before this happened? I'm struggling with the insomnia after 7 months of sobriety. It's pretty much ruined my life.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Finding a good guided meditation helps me. You can find them on YouTube. Just search "guided meditation" and you'll get quite a few. I don't think insomnia is all that uncommon in early sobriety, at least from what I've read on these boards and through articles and such. Hang in there. Our minds are still healing.

Congrats on 60 days sober.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just yesterday I read a thread on here regarding Weighted Blankets for insomnia, try Googling that and checking into to it maybe?? People were praising that they really do work. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Too much looking at electronic screens, especially right before bed, can mess with your sleep cycle. If you cannot sleep and your mind is racing meditation might help. Also instead of lying there thinking about not sleeping perhaps sit up and read something ... From a paper book.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've found that chocolate, coffee, and spicy/peppery foods are most unnecessarily stimulating - I avoid them from mid-afternoon now.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I had horrible horrible sleep trouble the first 3 months. It gets better. I still have a hard time with it, mainly due to RLS (which I always had even when drinking) but it does get better.

For 2 months, I was never asleep for more than 2 hours straight, without waking up at least enough to realize I was awake. It was hell. My brain didn't work, I was confused all the time.

Get a bedtime routine, and stick to it. Unplug at least a half hour before, more if you can. Get up at the same time every day, even on days off don't stay in much longer. Limit any afternoon naps to < 30 min or it just screws you up more that night. Talk to your physician about non-opiate sleep help, there are some options that wont be habit forming or addictive. They wont knock you out like booze did, but they can help.

And most importantly, just stick it out, it will get better. I sleep well enough that I am not disturbed by lack of sleep during the day anymore.

I think this issue, more than anything, is the one that keeps me sober, I don't want to have to go through that again.