Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 17

Old 05-16-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

London glad you're dinner went well, was thinking of you! Deli lah tickled me too, I have to find something to name delilah now, it's my new favourite name! Xx
Old 05-16-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats scooterboo

D
Old 05-16-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 months ScooterBoo!

Old 05-16-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Fantastic Scooter! You sound great!

That's one heck of a persistent friend Pink. Way to handle it!

Let's keep looking for joy in the journey Team. I realized today that I'm going to train about 300 hours for my 50k (which will last 8 hours). If I focus purely on the end result I'm going to miss a bunch along the way.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Scooter!! Yippie kayay!!! Awesome job and I loved your posts!

Pink, well played my friend, well played.

Keep on truckin ultra!

Goodnight grateful and London and Choobie and everyone on this team.

Off to bedfordshire.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

And goodnight grateful!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Thanks Determined! Good night to you too!
Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hey all

Team GB picking the sober baton on this side of the pond!

Hope everyone had a great Saturday Team A.

I am up and about on a beautiful spring day here. Heading off for a trial run for my race in July. No pressure on time or keeping up with others, I have my plan and will stick to it. I am looking forward to it.

Scooter - yey! 9 months. That is top drawer!! So happy. And your posts are amazing. I relate to every single thing. I have loved reading your journey so far. You are an inspirational lady xx
Old 05-16-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

PS - Pink, You did great with your friend. There is one extremely persistent guy at work who has been asking me for months what is "going on" with me. Nosy git!!

Nothing, and I mean nothing worked (running, fitness, don't like hangovers, time off, antibiotics) until I said "long term medical thing which I am not discussing with you" That shut him up. Depending on your opinion it's 100% true or a little white lie. Either way I'll take a small lie to protect my sobriety. You did great !
Old 05-17-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

I will never stop saying how awesome it is to wake up on Sunday sober!

My spouse has a case of coors light in the refrigerator. It is tempting at times in the afternoon, but not that hard to keep my eye on the prize. I picked one up and smelled it. Awful. Funny how I used to think of coors light as water when I was drinking. Now it smells like gasoline. Distance changes perspective.

I am not being a jerk or anything about her drinking. It certainly helps,me see what it looks like from the other side. The getting tired by evening, personality changing a bit, positivity in decline. I simply watch the alcohol take its course from the initial giddy feeling to the actual depressant that it really is. Same thing every time. You can't see it that way when it is happening to you but you sure can as an observer. I hope she sees this as you can't make someone quit. They have to be ready. If I say something it will not be well received, I am sure you get that.

Anyhow, going to a hipster antique show then rockin out with a really good singer and guitar player. He has records out and such. I would not be doing this if I had not changed my ways. I would have made a bad initial impression and that would have been that...

Pink and London, you have inspired me to think more about social pressures. I think I now have my response ready when someone asks why I don't drink. "Because everything about it sucks." "Perhaps my grand parents thought it was cool, but I think it is a bit tired and lame actually." Then I will ask them, what do you like about it? Love to hear the response.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Relentless.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Greetings and thank you for all the Congratulations.

Pink, your friend probably misses the "good times" you had while drinking together. I am still using dieting as a reason for not drinking; I haven't yet had anyone pressure me to any degree. I am a bit apprehensive about summer parties though. If necessary I will stay away from them like I did with all the wine tastings through the winter.

London, I enjoyed your answer to your nosy co-worker.

Grateful and Choobie, how are things going?

Ultra, I wish I had half your energy!

Determined, my close friend Bob seems to like the fact that I am not drinking because he knows I will drive - I have also noticed that he seems to be drinking less. Hopefully that is because his doctor told him too, and he is not just being careful around me.

Cute? Dry? Ph7? everyone else?!? Drop a note so we know how you are doing.

Let's keep on keeping on.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

London it was a good response to your work friend too, and as you say, not necessarily a lie. Funny isn't it, the hurdles that come after all this time. I think summer waking up is bringing the subject up.

Scooter your dieting story Is a good one, and also, it's one you can say to everyone , so you don't have to remember which story you've told to who, which is a problem I'm now having!
Old 05-17-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

H
Old 05-17-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Determined I'm glad you're coping ok with your partner drinking, and I think you're being wonderful by not forcing the issue. I just want you to stay strong and keep your eye on the prize, and I believe in you and your strength. It's funny how we are sitting observing on the side lines, it's interesting what we see. I just love your idea of asking people what they like about drinking! The next person who asks me why I don't drink, I'm going to ask them why they do?! Keep going you inspirational, fantastic, strong, Determind friend! Xxx

Ultra, that's a lot of training! Woah! You totally got this! Run 5 miles more buddy xxxx
Old 05-17-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Hi all, congratulations on 9months scooter.

Well ive made a start to get off the gravy train, drank but nowhere near as much as usual today, got back in touch with AA, what ive learnt through this horrific experience is that REAL friends are those that want me sober and well the others just entertainment, full of fear remorse guilt and anger at myself, but, alas I have to get on with it and try again....
Old 05-17-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Good morning all

I like yesterday's posts. Keep going everyone. The one about observing other people and people close resonated with me.

1step - See if you can hit an AA meeting today and maybe see your sponsor. I am sure it will help you. I am glad you posted

I am on the road again today peeps, and will be for much of the week. But no bother as next week is a week of annual leave and more Europe exploration. I completed my 10k on the road yesterday and did good. Jelly legs today ha ha, and I definitely need a coffee. I am looking forward to my July charity race now and time to step up the training for the next 8 weeks :-)

Have a great Monday all.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Just another marvelous Monday!!

I woke up in the middle of the night and briefly remembered those panic, what day is it, what did I do? Moments I used to have. Made me really appreciate this new life. Fell back to sleep with an attitude of gratitude.

One step, get back on the train man. Just do it, leave the nonsense behind, you have the power.

Pink, thanks for the post! That totally made my heart smile. And those are the best smiles. I am keeping my eye one the prize. I think leading by example, with no words, is louder than bombs.

London, spot on with the training dude! Jelly legs on the train to work sure feels better than jelly brains!

Yesterday was fun, I think my plan to tour with a skate punk band in retirement could actually happen!! Live fast die young is becoming live clean die old!

Let's go show them what positive, happy, life giving, energy bunnies look like this week August kids!!

"Healing yourself is connected with healing others." Yoko Ono

Cowabunga
Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

New thread here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-18-a.html