Notices

Too much alone time

Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too much alone time

Day 65. Here comes another weekend. Can't do anything outside (snowy) and can't go to a bar for the evening, obviously.... everything seems to be closed or postponed due to weather (small town)... Still don't have any sober friends because I never get out of the house and there's nothing to do that doesn't involve drinking it seems. I'm just sitting here at work dreading going home to be bored, where I will begin to pity myself for being alone. It feels like it will be forever.

but I ain't gonna drink.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Roy,
I made a lot of good friends in AA...once I got over my reluctance to not be critical of every stupid 'share' that I heard at meetings. It turned out to be ME, and my inherent defense against anything I perceived outside of what was 'Normal' for Me.

It took some discomfort, and many awkward times of introducing myself then not knowing what to say, or calling someone by the wrong name, or....

One of my favorite quotes from the AA Big Book describes a tendency of mine I have to work at to overcome:
"'There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.'" - Herbert Spencer- Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Appendice II, Spiritual Experience, pg. 568~

Anyway, enough about me...I am just expressing that I made some good friends in AA...which was especially helpful because all I had previously were drinking acquaintances.

RDBplus3
Old 03-06-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have a book at home you've been wanting to read, a house project or hobby that has been neglected, going for a walk, other types of exercise that don't require any equipment, a movie you've been meaning to watch, etc. There are many constructive ways to fill up time including SR.

Have a great weekend.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Boredom is a self-imposed punishment. You can be home, and you can feel lonely. But that doesn't have to equate to boredom.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get bored a lot too. but the best thing you can do is NOT DRINK. there are plenty of hobbies.... you should google it and find one that you like... experiment.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Isolation is not a healthy activity for an alcoholic as it’s a big contributor to relapses.

I’d suggest, even if you don’t want to, go to AA meetingS where people who understand can help with our sobriety.

BE WELL
Old 03-06-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

agreed. isolation isn't good and it's the devil's playground. watch a good movie... and snuggle in a blanket.... drink hot chocolate.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

or talk to someone in your AA group.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi RoyGbiv! I had many lonely days too. I got through some by doing things that were not too mentally taxing but also enough to focus my attention.

Watching good stand up comedy. Laughter is good.

Putting on the radio where people are talking made me feel less alone, or a comedy cd or a story telling cd. It just made me feel like someone was there.

Also doing this while doing a jigsaw puzzle staved off boredom.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 65 Roy try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 03-06-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Join us in the chat room! We also have a meeting tonight at 9 EST! Not a bad way to spend an evening!!