Notices

Just another repeat offender...

Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Have you considered seeing a mental health professional about your depression?
Fun fact about Norway: We're constantly told we live in the best country in the world (free schools and health care, high wages, no conflicts or poverty, nothing really to worry about), but we still have waiting lists of up to a year to see a psychologist (we're just generally unhappy and miserable people). Sound advice though, and I've tried it before. Normally I'm quite optimistic and relatively happy, so I'm guessing it's either seasonal or due to drinking (and the fact that I really, really struggle to get over my ex). Spring is coming, and the drinking is the one thing I should be able to control (i.e. quit). The ex is no longer answering my drunken messages, so that's water under the bridge as well apparently.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You may never find a concrete answer to that question, but it's pretty well documented that drinking will make depression worse.
yes, i read drinking stops serotonin, the natural feel good neurotransmitter in the body from producing and im guessing you have to stop drinking so you can start producing it again, and that can take several months??? It is a rough and tough road to recovery...if it was easy, this site would not be here???
Old 03-03-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I too am back after a 15 YEAR relapse. 2 months sober today. Those first days were rough but I knew that no matter what I did not want to drink again. Then I got busy. Depressed for a while yes, but working a program immediately is the key to getting out of my head.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yesterday was bad, so thank you to everyone who gave their support. Didn't keep me from drinking last night though... One good thing came out of it, I got drunk enough to send a message to my only friend who lives close by. I thought I lost her last week, and I've been devastated. Too scared to even ask if anything was wrong. Turns out she's been busy at work, and the thing that upset me wasn't even an issue for her. So... Day 1 again, this time with a completely different mindset. My boyfriend has invited me out for dinner tonight, tomorrow coffee with my friend. This emotional roller-coaster is killing me, but it stops here!
Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to Day 1, Stella; I am glad that you are back; let the magic begin!!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

hi Stella, its really hard to pull all the strands apart and make sense of everything when you are drinking because it is the drink that helps to cloud everything in the first place. I was struggling with anxiety and high/low emotions when I was drinking. It didn't even occur to me that it was the drink that was causing them until I quit. I think the first step to you finding the meaning of life is to stop drinking.....
Old 03-04-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Legz36 View Post
Welcome back! I too am back after a 15 YEAR relapse. 2 months sober today. Those first days were rough but I knew that no matter what I did not want to drink again. Then I got busy. Depressed for a while yes, but working a program immediately is the key to getting out of my head.
Welcome to SR, Legz36; congrats on 2 sober months. You may want to start a thread in Newcomers to introduce yourself.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on starting your recovery Stella - hope this can be your turning point

Welcome to you too Legz

D
Old 03-04-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Sounds like you are feeling determined. Get after it Stella!