Notices

Developing an Alcohol abuse treatment protocol

Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Developing an Alcohol abuse treatment protocol

I'm working on an Alcohol abuse treatment protocol that uses supplementation. This is not to be a replacement for medical care but for those that may face their addiction with despair and pass on the medical community, I think they need an option also.

Part of that protocol (and I am a patient of this), is to use the following supplements:

I believe everyone should have a hair mineral analysis done to see where they stand.

I have discovered that digestive enzymes are a must for me in my recovery.

I learned that choline can reverse a fatty liver and pancreatitis but a good source for this is Lecithin (I get it from sunflower and not from soy source since soy can contain many other undesirables)

I learned that sodium/potassium balance is important to ensure proper cardio function. Don't skimp on sodium if you been drinking for some time. If you have high blood pressure yes skip the sodium but try to find your ratio. Otherwise, you could have heart palpitations and other issues.

Dizzyness/vertigo - this kinda goes along with the glucose impairment. But magnesium and vitamin D go together well here. Glucose intolerance is going to happen if your calcium/magnesium ratio is out of wack.

Thiamine is obviously one that is in high need - a good source at very high amounts is benfotiamine.

B-complex family of vitamins is good also - my verdict is still out on some of this. I believe there could be strange symptoms of taking some of these b vitamins while in withdrawal. I know we desperately need them but it seems when I just take certain ones or even as a complex I sometimes get strange results.

We need fats to live and problem is that many alcoholics have are hard time processing fats. You may notice an increase in energy if you eat some Coconut oil - your liver is much more tolerant of Coconut oil since it has a larger percentage of medium chain fatty acids.

Keep a journal in what you eat and how it affected you. Learn about the electrolyte content of the food you ate if you feel good or felt bad. (sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium).

Electrolyte imbalances are behind so much of our problems.

I'm still developing a lot of this but I'm also a patient and have improved so I hope it helps others.

Let me know you have you own protocol also.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I foresee problems.

SR recommends that people see a Dr, not that they 'pass on the medical community'. Detox can be incredibly dangerous.

Here is the SR Rule in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
What happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable or even hazardous for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

If people want to share their PERSONAL experience, please go ahead - keeping this rule in mind...

Thanks for your understanding gang

Dee
SR
Old 03-02-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I foresee problems.

SR recommends that people see a Dr, not that they 'pass on the medical community'. Detox can be incredibly dangerous.

Here is the SR Rule in full....

What happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable or even hazardous for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

If people want to share their PERSONAL experience, please go ahead - keeping this rule in mind...

Thanks for your understanding gang

Dee
SR
Understood. I may have to create my own sobriety forum so the word can get out for those otherwise hopeless people that wont seek medical advice.

Because everywhere I turn it seems that everyone is saying tough luck to them if they don't seek a medical doctor (BTW - most medical doctors have no significant training in nutrition). Many alcoholics in the past were treated by medical doctors that gave them a lobotomy for their psychosis for what we know today can be cured with adequate amounts of niacin (a vitamin).

So don't think that the medical community has everything figured out. (as evidenced by the amount of people visiting this forum).
Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My main point is that I KNOW stuff that can significant help people.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suffered several mini strokes in my last detox.

If I had seen a doctor I'd be significantly better off now health wise.

There's not much of an argument against seeking professional medical help in my mind, sorry.

D
Old 03-02-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by trumpet7 View Post
seriously, start your own forum or blog. There's free options everywhere.

D
Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Yes, well, I ate a turkey sandwich on my first day in detox, so I imagine that Tryptophan is a cure for alcoholism. Or is it fowl?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just suggest it as a diet or something.
Or put it in a way that you have done, so its a personal thing.
Cant dispute personal testimony!
Old 03-03-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How long has this been working for ya?

Pease keep us informed over the weeks, months and years how it's working for ya.

And remember if it doesn't work, we will still be here.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The interesting thing is that I have research to back these things up from PubMed or Wiley. And yet they will get attacked by the medical community. I know many people that were not helped by the medical community that could have been helped by the Alternative Health community. It is a shame that we tell people only see a Medical doctor when they have way less nutritional knowledge than Alternative health doctors.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

..and we have the same access to the interwebz that you have.

This site has posting rules and if you don't agree with them, then you have to find somewhere else to post your thoughts.

It's not that difficult to research nutrition and supplements. Alcoholics aren't incapable of doing research. AAMOF, I have found alcoholics to be some of the smartest people around. They've poisoned themselves in a spectacular manner and stayed alive.

In the US, supplements aren't even regulated, so the whole industry is a free-for-all anyway. No way to know what's really in a "supplement."

My advice that no one asked for is to eat a varied diet, low in caffeine and added sugars.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi.
In the meeting halls of AA several banners yell out at me now, KEEP IT SIMPLE and EASY DOES IT!

We alcoholics as a group seem to complicate so much which results in brainism.

If we don’t pick up the first drink we stay sober, usually no amount of knowledge will overcome that fact day after day,

BE WELL
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
..and we have the same access to the interwebz that you have.

This site has posting rules and if you don't agree with them, then you have to find somewhere else to post your thoughts.

It's not that difficult to research nutrition and supplements. Alcoholics aren't incapable of doing research. AAMOF, I have found alcoholics to be some of the smartest people around. They've poisoned themselves in a spectacular manner and stayed alive.

In the US, supplements aren't even regulated, so the whole industry is a free-for-all anyway. No way to know what's really in a "supplement."

My advice that no one asked for is to eat a varied diet, low in caffeine and added sugars.
It is not that easy. Everyone may have the internet but TRUST me there is en effort to keep you from information that concerns your health. I may be a bit of a conspiracy about this but just look at sites like Quackwatch for example. That is a site that is run by associates of ranking members of the American Medical Association and they really only target Alternative health practices and have been found to have misrepresented their cases and had their cases thrown of our court on several occasions.

There is a war going on with respect to health. They want people like me to be silent. Because natural supplements are not controlled by drug companies.

How many here not that Choline can rid you of a fatty liver? How many here know that they can get rid of their glucose intolerance by maintaining a calcium/magnesium ratio?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Trumpet - I know you want to help here, but you are making statements as though they are facts and only you KNOW these things. If it works for you great, but this is not the place for "converting" people to your thinking. Maybe you should create your own webpage or blog separately?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Trumpet - I know you want to help here, but you are making statements as though they are facts and only you KNOW these things. If it works for you great, but this is not the place for "converting" people to your thinking. Maybe you should create your own webpage or blog separately?
The new forum is in the works.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is a shame that we tell people only see a Medical doctor when they have way less nutritional knowledge than Alternative health doctors.
Actually, here on SR we "tell" people that seeking many different opinions and recovery options is always a good idea.

Specifically for Detox issues though, there are some pretty clear "regular" medical issues that need the attention of "regular" doctors.

Also, the rule here is that we cannot give or ask for medical advice. That would apply to alternative medicine just as it would to "regular" medical advice. In either case, the individual needs to seek an expert in either field. Granted there are less alternative doctors out there, but they are out there.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is not that easy. Everyone may have the internet but TRUST me there is en effort to keep you from information that concerns your health. I may be a bit of a conspiracy about this but just look at sites like Quackwatch for example. That is a site that is run by associates of ranking members of the American Medical Association and they really only target Alternative health practices and have been found to have misrepresented their cases and had their cases thrown of our court on several occasions.

There is a war going on with respect to health. They want people like me to be silent. Because natural supplements are not controlled by drug companies.

How many here not that Choline can rid you of a fatty liver? How many here know that they can get rid of their glucose intolerance by maintaining a calcium/magnesium ratio?
Wow that's a bit dramatic. Really putting your self on the cross there. The AMA is out to stop you? Why would I not take medical advice from a conspiracy theorist. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Rule#10 has already been stated. Since it seems there is no intent to follow it, I'm closing the thread until the appropriate mod can review.