Notices

Anti-craving Naltrexone.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I take it and and Wellbutrin and it not only helps with my opioid abuse but also has helped me to get a handle on my eating issues. These two medications together are often used to help people lose weight.

I've been taking it for over a year and it works for me. I haven't had a drink for almost two years and I'm clean a little over a year.

I just renewed my script and was reminded to get an ID bracelet letting people know that I'm taking it. Makes sense.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Latte View Post
I take it and and Wellbutrin and it not only helps with my opioid abuse but also has helped me to get a handle on my eating issues. These two medications together are often used to help people lose weight.

I've been taking it for over a year and it works for me. I haven't had a drink for almost two years and I'm clean a little over a year.

I just renewed my script and was reminded to get an ID bracelet letting people know that I'm taking it. Makes sense.
I have a post-it note on top of my license for now. Maybe a dog-tag might be a good idea.

So, is morphine just out of the question should I need it? Or is some other reversing drug administered before morphine.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I thought I'd share some of the latest studies out about Naltrexone. From last month.

Reduction of alcohol drinking in young adults by naltrexone: a doub... - PubMed - NCBI

Also just go to Home - PubMed - NCBI and type in the name of whatever drug you want information on. Hard data, facts and testing galore!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
I can't remember where I read the "repair the brain" part, but the drug works in a completely different way than Naltrexone.

And that's great for you! I think the easy part of all this was deciding to quit. Changing your whole lifestyle seems to be the hardest part. My sister is about 5 years sober from heroin, and she's mentioned that your friend base will change, new things will come. Good and bad. But hey, that's life.
The way Campral "repairs" the brain is that it accelerates the return of neurotransmitters back to normal levels. GABA (an inhibitory neurotransmitter) is depleted in the alcoholic brain because there is no need for it in the presence of so much alcohol. However, there is an excess of glutamate (an excitatory neurotransmitter) to keep the brain from shutting down in the presence of all that alcohol (which is why we can consume so much more alcohol than normal people and not die). That is also why alcohol withdrawal is so dangerous compared to other drugs - the brain goes into overdrive with excess glutamate and there's nothing to counter it. Campral is a GABA agonist (it enhances the effect of GABA), while serving as a glutamate antagonist (inhibits the effect of glutamate). It doesn't do anything for acute withdrawal, but over time it does help with PAWS symptoms as neurotransmitter levels return to normal.

The friend thing is so true. I had trouble staying sober until finally I established a new social network that didn't revolve around alcohol, and it eventually became irrelevant to the way I live.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

A little update on my situation with Naltrexone is that I went a few days without taking it after I had taken it for a good week straight. I did still drink, but I started taking it again yesterday and I truly believe the drug takes awhile to get out of your system. I mean, even when I did drink and was on it, the smell of my favorite beer was revolting. I still drank it because it was next natural to me, and then I literally got sick. As I stated before, I'm a relatively small person who can hold her liquor but I've never experienced horrible nausea as I was drinking. The word intoxication has "toxin" in it and when your body has toxins in it-- it doesn't want them in it. I mean, I wouldn't call my nausea hangovers the next day. That's why I can see this drug really helping me both physically and mentally because I don't crave alcohol. I hardly crave anything. I go see my doctor early next month and will ask her if that is normal. To not have any cravings at all. I'm going to look up the Sinclair Method.

Thank you for the link H2SO4!