Notices

The benefits of drinking

Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I know luck is not going to get this done. I have pulled out my arsenal of self help books that I'd put away during my sober time and am going through them this morning. I have told my husband that I am going to stay sober this time and he is supportive but not sure how convinced he is. I always convince myself that he's going to be bored with a 30 year old sober wife, but I proved that wrong over those 8 months. He wants to help us both focus on getting healthy. So anyway, I am sitting here with the SMART recovery handbook and am making a plan. :-)
Old 03-01-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't understand why you aren't committing to sobriety today given how you're feeling. Pour out the booze you have. If you don't commit today, it'll be the same thing tomorrow. I was in that cycle for years always promising myself I would get sober "tomorrow" or next year, etc.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
I don't understand why you aren't committing to sobriety today given how you're feeling. Pour out the booze you have. If you don't commit today, it'll be the same thing tomorrow. I was in that cycle for years always promising myself I would get sober "tomorrow" or next year, etc.
I am committing today. Maybe you didn't realize my original post was from yesterday? :-) No more booze.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
*Last but not least... I bought MORE booze to help me feel better, so now I'm probably going to feel crappy tomorrow as well. (2 glasses of red wine, 2 shots vodka, and a beer)
I guess I saw this to where I thought you were still planning to drink tonight. I am glad you're getting sober today.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

After deciding I didn't like my "sobriety date" because it was an odd number (crazy lady), I drank last night. A lot.
This has got to be the all time winner for best excuses to drink!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I got the sarcasm straight away!!

However there is always going to be an excuse to drink, odd numbers, wrong month, wrong day, wrong year, wrong season.

I drank because I was awake and could, alcohol didn't care for the date or time, so Sobriety shouldn't either!!

Go at things again!! You can do this!!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I always convince myself that he's going to be bored with a 30 year old sober wife,
I am a 40 yo female and so wish I'd quit at 30. Trust me - I would much rather be considered boring by others because I don't drink, than the centre of attention because I'm falling over drunk and making a complete fool of myself.
'
What was acceptable and relatively 'normal', a bit cute and funny behaviour when drunk as many of us do in our 20s just makes us look like an embarrassing shameful, pitiful mess once we progress through our 30s. It really does get worse and takes its toll on looks, weight and mental capacity. In my experience many men won't stick around and put up with it.

Boring is a good, alternative option (though tbh you won't be boring )
Old 03-01-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am committing today. Maybe you didn't realize my original post was from yesterday? :-) No more booze.
So what are you going to DO? Just not drinking has not worked in the past so what are you going to do differently?

Not drinking is a great start but will power alone is seldom successful