One day I am on top of it, the next is a different story..

Old 01-29-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One day I am on top of it, the next is a different story..

I was here about 6 months ago under another name, when I was only drunkys girl. Now we are expecting our first child together and things are no better, no worse either but definitely no better. I am constantly asking myself questions I already know the answers to, mostly why? Why him? Why me? Why us?
When we first met I couldn't believe my luck, I thought men like him only existed in movies and fairytales, so sweet, kind and caring. Like my mother (also an alcoholic) his heart is too big for this world, he cares about things nobody else does, I guess that's why they drink. To numb the pain of an oversized heart, to stop caring for a while..
Sometimes when I look at him all I see is pain and confusion, I can see how much he battles with himself. The depression the anxiety, the doubt. I can see how much he just wants to do good for us and please me, his demons (alcohol addiction) are just too strong. Again I ask my self why? I know the answer but it just doesn't seem fair. Nor him or I deserve this life we are living.
I see hope, I see blue skies and potentially bright futures, I know they are very far away but not unreachable, I also know I am being unrealistic.
I say I can't cope but I do and I am, I'm more than stuck between a rock and a hard place, I am crammed in tightly in a sad place.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Roller coasters and waves.... Only you can decide when to get off...

(((Hugs)))
Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of time stuck in that kind of thinking. What helped me was Alanon. Can you get to meetings where you are?
With a baby coming you will need lots of support. Trying to coparent with an alcoholic is a special kind of hell.
I remember my ex at the hospital the day our son was born, glowing with pride and love shining out of his eyes. We were so happy. We were invincible. Our love would conquer all.
I remember the day after we brought our son home from the hospital my ex drank a quart of whiskey and passed out with his head in the dog's dish. I seriously contemplated suicide that day.
The highs and lows of a relationship like that are overwhelming even without pregnancy hormones coursing through you. Build a support network for yourself. One of the biggest mistakes I made was to isolate myself because of fear and shame.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

!!!! That's exactly how mine is !!!! He was like something out of a story book and so kind hearted. Still twinkles through on rare occasions. We had two babies though. And things just got worse and it seems like he lost a piece of himself everyday (I kinda feel that way about myself too). It sucks and I agree it isn't fair at all. There's always hope I think. It's just... Gotta come from somewhere beyond us >_< I'm so sorry.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My experience with active alcoholism and giving birth was also not good. Please get help lined up. My AH showed up at 11:30 pm (4 hours late), drunk, and ready to drive post caesarean me and baby home. Ugh Please have a back up plan for even the basics, like how to get home from the hospital.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did he ever tell you why he showed up late and drunk? I don't get why they can't get their **** together for just one day!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He doesn't know why it happened, but he wasn't running the show. The addict decided drinking was more important than anything else that day.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Nobody "deserves" to be an alcoholic or to love an alcoholic--we get what we get, though. Some people get cancer--they don't "deserve" that, either.

I agree with the others, line up the maximum support for yourself that you can, right now, because it's tougher once the baby comes. I'm sorry you're in this situation, but the sooner you climb out of the pit of self-pity (and that isn't a criticism--we've all been there), the sooner you can regain the strength to make good, healthy choices for yourself and the baby. You've got a long, hard road ahead of you. Best to get the resources to deal with it now.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So he says to me "you can't keep doing this". Meaning I can't keep having a problem with his drinking and insist he sees a doctor because his eyes are yellow and his anxiety is high. So inevitably its me who has the problem, gotta love alcoholic logic (sarcasm).
He probably wouldn't go to the doctor if he lost his hand so talking him to into going for a problem he doesn't believe exists or is serious, is near impossible.

On another note I am buying furniture on ebay, getting the nest ready for our child. This Morning I get out of bed earlier than usual to watch an auction for a lounge set that I am in love with and he wakes up and says "go back to sleep, we don't have any money for the lounges". Well this made my blood boil! Mr "who has spent $300 on booze and gambling since wednesday" tells me we can't afford $200 for a lounge set that I have my heart set on. Because if we buy it that will be less alcohol he can afford, of course, silly me (some more alcoholic logic for you). I'm buying them anyway, not my problem.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drunkyswife View Post
So he says to me "you can't keep doing this". Meaning I can't keep having a problem with his drinking and insist he sees a doctor because his eyes are yellow and his anxiety is high. So inevitably its me who has the problem, gotta love alcoholic logic (sarcasm).
He probably wouldn't go to the doctor if he lost his hand so talking him to into going for a problem he doesn't believe exists or is serious, is near impossible.

On another note I am buying furniture on ebay, getting the nest ready for our child. This Morning I get out of bed earlier than usual to watch an auction for a lounge set that I am in love with and he wakes up and says "go back to sleep, we don't have any money for the lounges". Well this made my blood boil! Mr "who has spent $300 on booze and gambling since wednesday" tells me we can't afford $200 for a lounge set that I have my heart set on. Because if we buy it that will be less alcohol he can afford, of course, silly me (some more alcoholic logic for you). I'm buying them anyway, not my problem.
This all sounds really familiar. Things like new furniture and dental insurance were too much money, but he had hundreds of dollars to binge every month.
It sounds like family and home are not priorities for your husband.
I kept thinking that if I could just get my ex to see what he was doing to the family that he HAD to make the right choice and get sober, but that's not how alcoholism works. He will have to come to that realization on his own. I was always powerless over his drinking and decisions, and I wasted a lot of time bashing my head against that brick wall of denial when I could have been enjoying life on my own with my sons.
Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your new lounge set. Sounds like you got a good deal.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like my mother (also an alcoholic) his heart is too big for this world, he cares about things nobody else does, I guess that's why they drink. To numb the pain of an oversized heart, to stop caring for a while..
I'm sorry to sound harsh here, but alcoholics don't drink because they're unusually big-hearted. Alcoholics drink because they're addicted to alcohol. Telling yourself that he's somehow different and more sensitive than the rest of us just puts a rosy shimmer on something that's anything but rosy. It's romanticizing a disease that will kill him if he doesn't get help, and that might very well drag you down with him.

There are millions of sensitive, bighearted people in the world who don't prioritize booze over furniture for the baby they're expecting. Sure, he didn't ask for this. But he can choose to get help. And he isn't making that choice. Because alcohol is more important to him than you and your baby right now.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dw- I am so sorry that you are having to do this on your own. Have a back up plan just in case. My XAH left me in labor to go out and get stoned. He wasn't there when the dr. told me to start pushing. Wonderful? That daughter just turned 21 years old.

Welcome to the family life of living with an addict. What I did over the last 34 years was just survive for me and my girls. I tried to protect my kids from the addict and lived my own life in survival mode. Not a fun way to live. What I know now and what I new 20 or 25 years ago, I hope that I wouldn't have "waited" for him to get his act together. Its going to take a lot more then me for him to hit rock bottom.

Hugs my friend. Take care of you, stop obsessing over what the A does and doesn't do. Get through your pregnancy and you can make plans when you are strong enough to follow threw with them. Please don't waste 1/2 of your life like i did being an enabler and a codie. It doesn't work!!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I'm sorry to sound harsh here, but alcoholics don't drink because they're unusually big-hearted. Alcoholics drink because they're addicted to alcohol. Telling yourself that he's somehow different and more sensitive than the rest of us just puts a rosy shimmer on something that's anything but rosy. It's romanticizing a disease that will kill him if he doesn't get help, and that might very well drag you down with him.

There are millions of sensitive, bighearted people in the world who don't prioritize booze over furniture for the baby they're expecting. Sure, he didn't ask for this. But he can choose to get help. And he isn't making that choice. Because alcohol is more important to him than you and your baby right now.
I am aware there are millions of bighearted people in the world who don't prioritize booze, I believe myself to be one of them. I didn't meant to romanticize it, was just how I expressed myself at a very low point yesterday. I am aware it will kill him, it killed my mother. I have lived it twice over so I can assure you there is no rosy shimmer, no happy ending. I am just trying to cope the best I can, trying to make sense of something that does not make sense.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drunkyswife View Post
I am aware there are millions of bighearted people in the world who don't prioritize booze, I believe myself to be one of them. I didn't meant to romanticize it, was just how I expressed myself at a very low point yesterday. I am aware it will kill him, it killed my mother. I have lived it twice over so I can assure you there is no rosy shimmer, no happy ending. I am just trying to cope the best I can, trying to make sense of something that does not make sense.
What are you doing to cope? Are you in a group like Alanon or Celebrate Recovery? I grew up with an alcoholic father, and it effected me in ways I didn't understand until years later. Especially in the relationships I have chosen throughout my adult life. I gravitated toward the familiar, even though it was unhealthy. Attending Alanon is helping me to heal those childhood wounds.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
What are you doing to cope? Are you in a group like Alanon or Celebrate Recovery? I grew up with an alcoholic father, and it effected me in ways I didn't understand until years later. Especially in the relationships I have chosen throughout my adult life. I gravitated toward the familiar, even though it was unhealthy. Attending Alanon is helping me to heal those childhood wounds.
Firstly being a member here and reading others stories and experiences is helping. Helping me to realize I am not alone and my situation is no different to the next (just at a different stage). I am also involved in other forums and support groups online. I have looked at alanon and am interested in attending, just finding the time and the energy at this stage in my pregnancy is difficult (mainly because I don't have a car). I am also trying to detach and put my focus on myself and the baby, easier said than done but helpful, I am finding joy in doing even small things for myself.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

First, congratulations on your pregnancy!

Second, I've lived this too. My husband was a raging daily drinker during my second pregnancy but I had no idea what his problem was. I thought he was just having rage attacks (thank you Google). I agree with others that it's important to create a support system for yourself and your baby that doesn't center around him. My second daughter is now 18 months old (I joined SR when she was just a few months old) and my husband has continued to fall down the slippery and dark slope of alcoholism her entire life.

There are no simple answers when you're dealing with a loved one with alcoholism. For me personally, SR was where I started, then I added individual therapy and eventually al-anon to my personal arsenal of recovery stuff so that I can be a calmer and better person - especially for my kids. Dealing with an alcoholic husband is sometimes enough to drive you crazy and it's really difficult to not have any of it spill over to your kids sometimes.

Lastly, welcome and I adore your username. If I had to have a nickname in al-anon I would definitely choose "Drunky's Wife".

P.S. I found it helpful to take lots of warm bubble baths and do prenatal yoga during my second pregnancy to help bring down my stress levels. I hope you've found something similar to help you cope with the added stress. Like a pregnant woman needs more stress!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You might try giving your local Al-Anon office a call and see if there's someone who might be able to give you a ride to a meeting. AAs and Al-Anons are pretty good about that sort of thing. I really think you could use the support and ideas you can find there.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We broke up three weeks after my child was born... I wasn't prepared for that. He just walked out on us.. I'm still suffering to this day.. I'll never forget that moment
Old 01-30-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

DW- Please don't take it wrong on what we are sharing with you. We have all suffered so much and we wish no other women (especially)pregnant would have to go through what we did. We are tough because some times us codies like things sugar coated. I really didn't get my butt into gear until I realized that I was only hurting my A by enabling him and (helping) him do what ever he wanted.

Once I realized that the best thing for him and me was to walk away and get healthy. Then maybe he will stand alone and see how miserable his life is. We all care about one another on this forum. We all UNDERSTAND the pain that you are going through, like no other group of people.

Please keep an open mind, learn and educate yourself about this horrible disease of alcoholism!!! ((((hugs))))))))