Notices

30 year old Alcoholic for 10 years and nerve issues

Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 year old Alcoholic for 10 years and nerve issues

Hello all I am new here! I have been an alcoholic since I was 21 and now I am 30. I have had a break of a few years from age 24 to 27 where I didn't drink because I lived with my mom and she was an alcoholic! Fast forward I lost my mom last year. I actually started drinking again in 2011 with an ex boyfriend and continued drinking after him and I broke up. I have been back in school for 2 years working on my bachelors and am doing well but am having foot tingling for the last few months. I am still drinking(12 pack) every other night which I can go longer for but I am just afraid to stop. I went the other night not drinking for 3 nights and I physically was fine except thinking about it. The constant foot tingling got less when I didn't drink. Will the constant tingling stop when I quit?!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,Needlife36.
Glad you're here.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome resolute50! I see a dog in your image! I have a dog who keep me grounded plus another one who keeps me on my toes.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome...if you can not drink for 3 days and be ok physically then quit before it gets worse and you can't even get 3 hours in!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It's always a good idea to talk to your doctor before you stop drinking because withdrawals can be unpredictable. I hope you decide to stop drinking.

Be sure to check with your doctor about the tingling in your foot.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi needlife

Tingling can be for a wide variety of reasons - the best thing to so is see your DR.

Just a reminder to all our members - share your experience but please don't make diagnostic guesses or suggest treatment. That is medical advice and is not allowed on our forums.

Dee
SR
Old 01-29-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome

Plenty of support here

I am on Day 3 so im new to it

Have gone 12 days, keep the fight up
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So I ask for advice from members who have experienced tingling and they are not allowed to respond on what has helped them? How come I search and there are other message threads and posts which talk about it and who talk about ways to help it? I come here looking for help and now can't get help.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Think I will go find another site that can actually support me and not be reprimanded for providing me with simple experiences and advice. This is the Internet and now you have made me want to go drink again you lousy site admins!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi need. Have had tingling in my fingers. When I stop drinking it goes away- along with a bunch of other problems- like chest tightness, shortness of breath, problems with vision. So yeah, when I don't drink my body appreciates it for sure!
All in all- I do keep my doctor up to date with what I am doing- even if drinking, so she can work with me honestly.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like was said above go to the Dr. Get checked out. Don't leave out that you drink a lot. I can't give you appropriate advice you need diagnostic testing and labs done. But I can tell u my tingling and numbness started in 2007 after begining drinking heavy in 2004. I went to see a neurologist , didn't tell him I was drinking almost every day because of various reasons but honestly I did not know you could get nerve damage from drinking or smoking too much. The toxins damage the nerve cells. Alcoholics often have vitamin and mineral deficencies from drinking which also affects nerve function and add smoking: double whammy. The dr didn't ask me about drinking or smoking either. He ran tests ruled out things such as MS and diabetic neuropathy. He couldn't find anything but the nerve damage. He prscribed meds for pain and sent me on my way. I kept drinking more and more; the tingling, numbness, sharp shooting pains in my feet and hands kept getting worst. I started to ask questions and research on the net and found out about "alcoholic neuropathy" . By this time I was so gone in the bottle the pain in my feet and hands and the knowledge that it would only get worst if I kept drinking was not enough to make me put the bottle down. I didn't even recognize my own handwriting , the nueropathy affected my fine motor coordination. Moral of the story : go to the doctors, don't leave out the drinking part and stop drinking while your ahead of the game.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We cannot give medical advice here NeedLife. Sure, some folks here could have had nerve damage from drinking, but tingling in your foot can be caused by a whole host of reasons....physical, neurological and psychological. We cannot tell you if it will stop if you quit drinkjng because we simply have no way of knowing. I can tell you for a fact though that drinking a 12 pack wont help. I drank close to that every day for years. And quitting did help solve a lot of my problems and ailments.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hope you choose to stick around!

Please reread the post from Dee. We are welcome to share experiences, we're just not allowed to play doctor (Believe me, I talk about my own medical concerns quite often). I am certain you weren't being reprimanded.

I know what it feels like to be worried and it helps to talk about it. This is a great place to do that.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Need,

I was just reminding everyone of the rules.
No reprimand was intended - you've done nothing wrong personally at all.

D
Old 01-30-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're not going to find a better site than this. One that doesn't push one way of dealing with out problem. Look, I'm agnostic, I don't buy into AA not being for religious people. I quit drinking alcohol but picked up NA beer a few weeks later to cope. I don't come on here and advocate it but I won't hide that I drink it successfully and haven't had a problem with it. I go to bars for work and share those experiences. Basically I do some things that most people trying to quit alcohol cannot and should not and have been successful and the ADMIN here let me discuss these things all openly. They have base rules and that's a good thing. Please give the site a chance. Btw I'm 30 and have been drinking since 21 as well. Nice to see someone else younger waking up.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Needlife!!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, Needlife.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

All I will say is that I had about a dozen or so serious health concerns with very real symptoms when I was drinking.

11 of the 12 health problems have gone away with complete abstinence. Still working on the 12th.

You won't know what the heck is going on until you stop drinking. If you want a health problem to get better remove possible causes.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey don't know whether the tingling will get better without the drink (would check with your GP re reasons for that) but I do know giving up isn't gonna make anything worse :-)
If you can go 3 days without too much difficulty that's a great sign that you can do this xx
Old 01-31-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your answer is easily found, by consulting a doctor, and being frank and open with her or him. You'd probably get checked out for diabetes too. Maybe a neurological work up. If it's the alcohol it could get much worse if you continue to drink. Neuritis from lack of vitamin B1 due to drinking. Ask the doc. We aren't able to give medical advice, other than this. If you're an alcoholic, don't drink.

W.