Notices

Cops and Appreciating my Sobriety

Old 01-27-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cops and Appreciating my Sobriety

Got to bed late last night as I was stuck in traffic for 45 minutes while only being two exits away from my home. Of course this is also after I already drove 45 minutes from work completing a 12 hour shift.

I thought about drinking when I got home and quickly pushed it away because I knew I would have to get up early in the morning again and turn around back to work to do the same shift. What would a hangover do for me? No need for that extra guilt. Keep inching along till I was able to reach my exit and hoped for a peaceful yet short period of sleep.

Woke up at 2AM to police officers asking my roommate if he drank any bleach. Supposedly there was some kind of wellness check requested for him as there may be a possible suicide attempt. My roommate apparently had no idea what was going on as he did not consume any bleach. In fact we were all asleep at the time of the police officers arrival.

Now think if I had actually listened to my AV and got wasted that night over a little bit of traffic. Gee, would I have left in cuffs for being overly intoxicated and unable to care for myself? Never mind my shift the next morning as I got myself a whole new set of problems to contend with.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry you went through that newhope awesome job staying sober before & after

That could have been a lot worse if alcohol was involved well done newhope
Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a night, newhope!!!!! Glad that everything was okay on all fronts (except for the traffic).
Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention that the traffic was the result of a horrific car accident and I was really hoping everyone involved was okay.

Folks were being rude motorists to each other and driving on the shoulder to find a shortcut out of the mess but I just kept my cool and refused to look at the wreckage.

Admittedly, I may have had one too many cigarettes.. Still working on that as well.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes!!! It's great to be sober and to know that I am aware and present at all times if something happens (specially since I have a kid).

Good! Keep on trucking!

We are with you.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So when I got home from work I found out why they thought my roommate consumed bleach in an attempt at suicide.

Apparently, a mutual friend of ours who suffers from severe depression called a crisis hotline and explained to the lady that he is feeling so bad, that it was similar to when he drank bleach trying to end his life. The lady freaked out and called the police.

Well turns our buddy didn't want his phone bill sent to his place of residence and instead applied for paperless billing and is using my roommates home address on record for his phone bill.

Luckily, no one was hurt but it ended up escalating in my friend getting 51/50 and was released later that morning. Poor guy, I knew he was depressed and that he contemplated suicide in the past but I didn't know he was having those feelings again. Pretty sure his depression is a result/response to his heavy drinking and other substance abuse. I hope he still reaches out when he needs help. I wish he could have called me. I would not only listen but really understand where he is coming from.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Newhope, sorry to hear about your friend. I hope that he gets the help and support that he needs. Depression is such a hard thing to deal with; alcohol and other substances can really make it an extra rocky path