I only last 4 days

Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Failure ? I don't think so, Color.

What did you learn ?
What can you do next time?

You have to break the chain.

You can't go about it randomly or with any holes in your plan.

There is only on objective to your plan.

You have to be totally determined. But only for today.

Resolve not to drink today. You can do that. You've already done it.

No matter what your AV tells you, no matter how many excuses you find to drink, tell yourself you will not drink today.

As everyone has said, you can do this.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for all your positive words of encouragement....
It's amazing the difference just a single day can make. Yesterday was horrible - totally full of the guilts and so ashamed of myself. I did a great job of beating myself - bruises everywhere ;-)
However today, with a shift of mindset and the support from you guys, I'm feeling better. I only thought of a drink once today - while one of the guys from work was whinging away about something insignificant. I quickly told that little voice to go away, and it did.

Thanks Nonsenical for correcting my post - yes, I learned again. There was a trigger on Saturday, that steered me to the bottle shop. I'll try to not listen to that trigger again this weekend, and keep myself busy - even if it means cleaning out my clothes cupboard and working out what can go to charity (I'm actually really overdue to do that task!)

I CAN do this - I need to take one day at a time....

Take care everyone!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Keep at it. It will happen xx
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i know EXACTLY how you feel...

I can get throught day 1,2,3, and sometimes 4 before I cave in and get plastered. It is an incredibly difficult fight. I wish I could give you some sound advice. If there was anything I could say to get myself to keep off the bottle, I'd tell you. Each person is different. Each person has their own weaknesses and strengths. Find yourself and hopefully find a solution.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Color View Post
Hi,

I am feeling incredibly guilty. I only lasted 4 days without a drink :-(
I was doing so well - fairly emotional on Day 1, but came good on Day 2 and 3. I don't even know what was the trigger was for me to drink. I'm useless.

I should have logged onto SR, instead of dropping past the bottle shop.

How do you be successful at this???
Keep at it, it can take along time!! I have relapsed almost 50 times i reckon

I never can get past 12 days thats the longest since i started drinking 5-7 years ago. Day 4 is average for when i give in im on Day 2 but my medication is helping try stay active and eat well

All the best.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thankz Azza.
Today was a bit of a challenge, mainly because I was feeling so tired. However, my patience level with people at work was pretty low - I found myself getting frustrated quite easily.

What medication are you on? Has anybody tried Campral?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Color and Scared1234 and Azza88,

It was very hard for me to quit as well. It seemed logical to me that if I knew I shouldn't drink then I shouldn't want to drink. Then I would go a few days and I would want to drink. Thoughts of drinking would come into my head and I couldn't get them out. Then this battle would rage in my head, one side arguing that I must stop, the other side arguing that I couldn't relax unless I drank or feel happy unless I drank or that it didn't matter if I drank again. There were days when I thought I must be going insane - this voice in my head that I couldn't silence always urging me to drink again!

This is the nature of addiction. Deciding to stop doesn't mean that urge to drink suddenly disappears. It should. I desperately wanted it to, but it doesn't work like that.

People on this forum - people who know exactly what it means to want to stop and want to drink at the same time - told me that if I could just find a way to tolerate going without a drink for a few weeks that it would get better.

They were absolutely right.

Knowing you need to live a sober life does not mean the desire to drink alcohol just goes away. It will come back. Be ready for it. Plan on it, and plan on what you will do instead of drinking. Cleaning out the clothes cupboard is a great idea!

And then one day (it was day 84 for me) you'll be getting ready for bed and you'll suddenly think Hey, I didn't even think about drinking all day today. And the sense of freedom will envelope you like a down comforter. It is completely worth the effort.

You can do this.