Notices

day 5..... my attitude needs to change

Old 12-19-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 5..... my attitude needs to change

Hey guys.

I am having a little issue since I quit smoking and drinking, my attitude. It is not good. I don't mean to be mean but every little thing annoys me. I need to loosen up. Just want to be happy. Not the mean as***** that no one likes. I know it's bad because the wife said something about it last night. So I apologized and now I want to work on it. I need to find my happy place. Day 5 work on attitude. Thanks SR. Happy Friday
Old 12-19-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Most of us found it was easier to have a better attitude after a few months. Persistent alcohol use causes a chemical shift in the brain, and when you take the alcohol away anxiety and irritability are common. Not that you shouldn't work on it now, but I found it helpful to understand that my increased irritability was natural and it wasn't going to last. In a few months of sober living your brain chemistry should return to normal and you'll be naturally less anxious and grumpy.

I think establishing new patterns also contributed to my initial grumpiness. I like my patterns and many of them had to change when I got sober. Feeling less stable adds to the stress.

Congrats on 5 days!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Geno its normal for our emotions to be all over all the place in early sobriety

The key is realising this take yourself out for a brisk walk when your feeling pent up

are you going meetings ? reading helps also

Try to spot yourself doing this and do something positive go gym go running press ups etc it all helps bud

On day 5 i didnt say ish to anyone i kept my head down i knew what i had to do

Well done on day 5 Geno
Old 12-19-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day five, my day five brother!!

I was cranky but that's subsided mostly, I sure have been sleeping a lot though. Maybe catching up from so many drunk nights where you don't sleep well at all???
Old 12-19-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I believe in the power of prayer. A Morning Resolve is a powerful one if you study on the words. Here are the first few lines:

I will try this day to live a simple, sincere and serene life, repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement, impurity, and self-seeking; cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity, and the habit of holy silence;

Emphasis on silence. Keep your nasty attitude to yourself. Your sobriety shouldn't cause the turmoil your drinking did.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's normal and you are recognizing it so that is good. Do not let your AV use these feelings against you. It will try.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah donny, congratulations, we made it to Friday. http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/8045.../thumbs-up.jpg
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job! Hope the Crankiness goes away soon.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Geno, I am just a little over 4 weeks now and still struggle with getting annoyed at minor things, with some days being better than others.
I've been told it gets better with continued sobriety by many others on the board.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I read this early in recovery and it made an impact on me

Attitude

by Charles Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you tried using an e cig to help with the nic fits?

Lengthy drug use and alcohol use can really mess with the chemicals and the way they zap in your brain. Can you talk to your DR about an anti depressant for the time being? Something that will keep you from going over the edge and that you can wean off once you start to get a little more level? I like Wellbutrin and doesnt come with all the nasty side effects of others, but your DR will be able to run through all that stuff with you.

E cig has really helped me. I think the one of the reasons why I failed before was that I quit smoking and drinking at the same time and it was just too much to handle.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Geno, it can take awhile to find your happy place, but I'm glad you're aware that you need to focus on that. I have found that a Gratitude Journal is an great tool when you don't feel grateful.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am glad you posted this because I was about to write a similar post. I'm 33 days sober and have been completely tense and irritable at home after work. The little things are bugging me and my family is feeling the tension. I recognize that this is a complete change from before because I have been numbing out and not dealing with anything. Now it feels so in my face from parenting and relationships. At the end of the day I just want to go to her because I don't want to be so tense around my family and yet I know I can't just escape. I found that giving myself some brief moments of space helps and taking a deep breath but I really am trying not react with such tension. It's not good for anyone! Happy Friday and congrats on 5 days!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A combination of intense exercise and meditation has been helpful for me. I listen to podcasts since I'm not too practiced at meditating on my own. There are times I just have to be alone so I don't say things I regret later. It gets better with time, congrats on day 5!