'Black Friday'

Old 11-26-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

'Black Friday'

Today, Thursday the 27th of November, is Thanksgiving Day in America, where I hope many, including my friend are celebrating it in the time honoured fashion.

Tomorrow, in the UK, is what, over recent years, has, as it's the last one in November, become known as 'Black Friday',taking over from the traditional Boxing Day sales. When it's hoped, at least by the gods of commerce, heavily swayed by their counterpart, 'meeja' (media), the tills will ring all day! As people part with their hard earned cash, snapping up bargains (?) in preparation for Christmas, which is still a month away!

In recovery, I've learned to treat Christmas Day, as 'metaphorically speaking, just another day', done because it allows me to withdraw from all that's encountered on the lead up to it. Not least 'Black Friday' and keep it and my sobriety in perspective.

So that part of me that does celebrate Christmas, does so in a traditional, time honoured fashion as much as I hope those in America, approach their Thanksgiving celebrations.

Of course, in recovery, the greatest Christmas gift anyone could give me, including myself. Without having to worship the gods of commerce and the media, is the realization. That I hope I share with many, not least all on here. That sobriety, is a gift for life and not just Christmas, neither is it to be purchased along with everything else, on 'Black Friday'....

Which allows me to celebrate both it and my life, in simply being me. My true self, everyday and you can't buy or fake that!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

So no surprise...

So no surprise, 'disturbances' some described as 'mini-riots' at various retail outlets at many of the major cities in the UK, with people injured and bullied, all in the name of Christmas...with promises from retailers that they'll improve security next year?

Presumably to better organise the disturbances and 'mini-riots' in their favour with maximum publicity for them...why not just cancel their idea of Christmas,then we call all celebrate in a traditional manner with some tidings of comfort and joy, together with goodwill to all men...which seems a lot more credible to me than a bargain price, £100, flat screen, 40" tv ripped from the hands of another bargain hunter whilst their 5 yr old child kicks you...which doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

It's not exactly 'rocket science' is it, and it can all be done in a safe, sane and sober environment.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gods of commerce and "Meeja"... lol!! Thanks for giving me a laugh, Redmayne

I guess I did take part in worshipping the gods of commerce today on a small scale, however I dodged the bullies by shopping online. I won't even consider walking into a store to shop during the holidays... madness!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

It's hilarious, Asda was queued up at 7am this morning with pallets covered with black covers hiding all their bargains, I'm told from co workers. I wasn't tempted.

I agree with soberjennie, shop on the Internet.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Redmayne, I like your description of today in the UK and the US. It is certainly madness here in the US, and I would NEVER venture into that mess.

Boyfriend & I went to the thrift shop where I got some nice cashmere/silk and wool sweaters - 3 for a total of $12! That is my kind of bargain...

PS - funny to admit it - but I always thought "Boxing Day" had something to do with the type of boxing that is done in the ring with gloves
Old 11-28-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gracetuesday View Post
Boyfriend & I went to the thrift shop where I got some nice cashmere/silk and wool sweaters - 3 for a total of $12! That is my kind of bargain...

Great score!
Old 11-28-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

We haven't done presents in many years except for the kids. It turned into exchanging gift cards. It's a lot less stressful that way.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I love thrift shops....

I love thrift or charity shops as we call 'em here in the UK, apart from the stock on display, you meet nice people and they don't bite!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It's completely mad. I didn't go out to even buy groceries yesterday x
Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Me neither...

Me neither, which it appears was especially prudent in my are, as there were reports of 7 stores experiencing disruptive behaviour... I like it nice and quiet when I go shoplifting, it's so much easier, lol, only joking, promise.