Notices

Binge Drinking

Old 11-29-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by N3p3nth3 View Post
Binge, my pattern was pretty similar to yours. I would throw in some weekday nights to mix things up, but I would always spend several days sobering up before I would feel good enough to repeat.

As I stopped drinking, I found a few things helpful. One is to eat a big dinner early, as that tends to curb my desire to drink. Binging on a full stomach isn't appealing to me. Another is to plan activities to keep yourself busy on nights that fall into your drinking pattern-- movie night or whatever.

Also, silly as it might seem, one strategy I use is to stay well-stocked with miscellaneous healthy drinks. I now have a monster tea collections and I drink at least 2 cups a night. And a last thought-- though this one really depends on the person-- is to consider meditation. Even starting with a few minutes daily. Meditation relieves anxiety and helps train the mind to objectively identify and deal with things happening with the mind and body.

Congratulations of your success with Thanksgiving eve!
Yes! I've been drinking so much tea! Also hot water with lemon and fresh mint leaves, I'm so full!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Binge thanks for posting, it's like looking in the mirror some great input here.

I was once a week then twice, then sober till I felt better then do it again, helped me recognise the pattern , what a great forum thanks.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was able go abstain with no difficulty from alcohol for 32 days through Thanksgiving, Christmas, & even an open bar weeding. Will moderation work for me if I try it?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Most likely not, if you have problem with Alcohol. If you have to moderate that means you are addicted. Harsh yes but I speak from experience. I tried moderation for 30 years. A waste of time. Embrace instead an alcohol free lifestyle. It's so much easier to just let go of the bottle. Who wants to be a slave to a substance. I sincerely mean this in a heartwarming way. I hope you find the strength and will to quit for good. I hope you have a Merry Christsmas if you celebrate.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As a recovering binge drinker myself, I simply can't drink. I mean, maybe I can keep things under control for a day or two, but eventually I'll be right back where I started.

I could go 5 days sober easy when I was drinking. I thought I could control it, but I couldn't. The "control" is just an illusion. I was just a functioning alcoholic. Everything I did was all about maintaining a somewhat functional life while still drinking.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Binge, I would not even entertain moderation. Every time I tried it, I ended back right where I started and at a place that was worse than before. I can't tell you what decision to make, but I hope you don't have to go through the same experiences I did. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Originally Posted by Binge2014 View Post
I was able go abstain with no difficulty from alcohol for 32 days through Thanksgiving, Christmas, & even an open bar weeding. Will moderation work for me if I try it?
I had similar drinking habits to yours with long periods of abstaining in between.

Moderation did NOT work for me. The binges just got progressively worse, and the withdrawal even more so. I had to make the decision to just completely cut it out of my life.

You've had a good thing going for 32 days. Why give that up?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i was never able to moderate my drinking, and i'm a binge drinker. I never planned on being someone who drinks 6+ drinks when I started. I just wanted the soft glow that i used to get in my younger days. But that feeling didn't come in the way i wanted, so i'd drink more to chase after it. And that was the problem.

So ask yourself: Why do you want to drink any amount of alcohol? What is the goal you want to achieve with drinking?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 12-25-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonks View Post

I had similar drinking habits to yours with long periods of abstaining in between.

Moderation did NOT work for me. The binges just got progressively worse, and the withdrawal even more so. I had to make the decision to just completely cut it out of my life.

You've had a good thing going for 32 days. Why give that up?
This ^^. Mid 30's Binger here too...also on Day 32. Moderation never worked (and never will work) for me.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberD View Post
This ^^. Mid 30's Binger here too...also on Day 32. Moderation never worked (and never will work) for me.
I never tried moderation, but you are probably right, if I end up going out and drinking a lot I feel like crap for several days with the hangover.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sometimes I actually wish there was a separate forum for the binge sort of alcoholic. As someone who identifies now as more of a binge type...I know I wasted many years finding the "differences" in the way I drank to justify continued drinking...despite the fact my binges were dangerous and problematic as hell.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Binge2014 View Post
Be careful you don't confuse abstinence with control. They are not the same thing.

I confused the two and after 2 months I drank again - not only was I back at square one in a very short time but I was actually a little bit worse with my self destructiveness.

I have no idea whether you can moderate or not - but the fact that, only after 4 weeks, you're thinking about drinking again after all you've posted here before is a red flag in your post for me.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-25-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yep. What Dee said.