Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 14

Old 07-16-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Glad you're doing okay Else..

I've been camping and cycling in Idaho for the past week, Oregon coast before that.. but yesterday I decided to get down to business and knock out step 4 and 5 in the next couple of weeks. I've basically just been goofing off and wasting money, although the scenery has been spectacular, especially up in central Idaho. So many rivers, and of course it's all mountains and forests..

But.. it's time to get something done that will make a difference in my recovery and I know the step work is needed. For those of us who used alcohol to self medicate issues with our feelings and perceptions, that stem from chaotic childhoods, I see no other way.. and I've looked.. lol. I'm tired of interpreting things in certain ways that create anxiety and hold me back.

That said, life is pretty good right now.. no real complaints and very grateful for all that I have, including the opportunity to even do this sort of work. Well, off to a meeting shortly.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 502 (permalink)  

Hi, all --

Else, I am glad to read that you're feeling calmer. That's a good start, friend. I'm fortunate to live within a few miles of an Apple shop, where I turn up from time to time saying "I can't figure this out ..." In person, they have some of the most effective, helpful folks one could hope to deal with.

Am still in "Advbike envy" mode knowing you've gotten to spend some time in the mountains and the Oregon coast, one of my all-time favorite places. I think you sound very healthy in terms of your focus on continued growth.

In general, things are good on this end. The work retreat went pretty well, which was a relief to me. I went back to Wisconsin yesterday and took Mom to an art festival on the banks of the Mississippi River. It's a part of the country that's being promoted as "Wisconsin's West Coast," which is nice but it's no ocean.

Mom is so-so. Her hearing is so poor. I took her and my niece to a play presented by the community theater group in my hometown last night ("The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" -- charming!) and she really couldn't hear much at all, despite being in the second row. Now, her vision is giving her some problems; unless something is in large print, she really struggles. She has an appointment with an ophthalmologist on Tuesday ... we'll see what she learns. But her spirits are generally good and living with my brother and his family continues to go well, save for my nephew being in an "I'm 16 and smarter than everyone" phase that I hope passes quickly!

This afternoon, my niece and I ventured out on a short nature hike -- one that we cut short because of the bugs. I have bad reactions to mosquito bites and while I put repellant on my limbs, feet and back of the neck, I didn't cover my face. The mosquitoes got me. I look like I have some sort of scary tropical disease! Have drenched my face and neck in Benadryl and hopefully the swelling will go down soon!

Speaking of Benadryl, I mentioned some time back that I'd been taking it at night to try and get to sleep more easily. Am glad to report that I am doing better and sleeping without medication. I seem to fall asleep within 30 to 45 minutes, which is a blessing for me.

Hope this note finds all are well. I've got tomorrow off -- yay! May we all have a peaceful, healthy and sober week ahead.

V.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 503 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update V!

Speaking of sleep, I've been sleeping like a pig since getting back to the States.. better than I have in years.. must be the quiet, haha.. and no stress. Even camping, lol.. that surprised me.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-15-a.html

D