Notices

It's time to admit I have a problem

Old 09-06-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well it has been one week for me, and a week of a few hard truths. The good news is I haven't had anything to drink - I pulled out of a client event, and tonight turned down invite to going away drinks for one of my BFs friends. I have realised how often I was making opportunities for having drinks - i.e. meet up with a friend for lunch - then talk them into going on a spontaneous pub crawl, or arrange to visit another of our offices to "network" and subconsciously planning in the back of my mind to take them out for drinks.

I really appreciate the comments from everyone on here - it is eye opening to know how many others are in similar situations to myself, and really reinforces the point that it is something I need to address. This week at one of our team meetings a few people were gossiping about the weekend, and the fact that I had fallen over on the dance floor and concussed myself came up - which everyone found hilarious (there goes that drinking culture again) - I laughed along, but tried to change the subject as inside I was dying of shame (what the didn't know was that I threw up all over myself in the taxi on the way home, and I wasn't able to sleep on my back all week because of the bump on my head)

My thoughts are with you all
Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news Busy! A whole week sober is a huge achievement. We're proud of you.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week

In time, you'll be able to do whatever you want to and it simply won;t be an issue...ad in time, people will forget the embarrassing bits...and you'll care less too

keep it going

D
Old 09-06-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You're making the right decision. I would drink exactly like you described and it progressively got worse. Luckily I have an amazing partner too that has helped me out greatly. Sober life is so much better. Stick with it and you will see.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Busybee1 View Post
Hi there, I'm a newbie to this site. A bit about me - I'm a 31yr old female, and it is time to admit to myself that I'm an alcoholic, I've recognised for a long time now that I have a problem with alcohol, but I haven't accepted that I'm an alcoholic. Binge drinking is my problem, and has been since I was 16 or 17. I don't need alcohol to get me through the week, and can happily go out for dinner with my partner and have a glass or two of wine...however, work drinks or weekend drinks with friends too often end in embarrassing and potentially dangerous blowouts and blackouts - what was kind of funny in my early 20s, is not any longer, and it is impacting on my relationship - my partner is rightly concerned when I go for drinks - and sometimes I can drink responsibly, and things will be fine for a few months, and then I have another blowout - last night I went out for work drinks, after crashing over and smacking my head on the dance floor my workmates put me in a cab home, I threw up on myself in the cab and was mortified (also significantly out of pocket) - my partner was horrified when I stumbled in and hasn't really spoken to me today.

I am so ashamed that I cannot drink responsibly, and have so often put myself in danger. It is like something clicks in me and I can't stop drinking - always heading to the bar for another round. Our company has a big drinking culture, and I have avoided work drinks for a long time (after another, worse blowout), however I feel that I am missing out on building relationships with my coworkers. I recognise that I use alcohol as a social crutch, as I have social anxiety issues - it's time for me to deal with it now before it wrecks my relationship or something awful happens to me when I'm smashed.
Welcome Busybee
We have alot in common. 31 also, can go days a week or two with out drinking but binge often. Also drinks after work has been an issue. Im in a hotel 2 nights a week. We get a great deal on happy hours.. co workers call you a "slam clicker" if you don't go. I can get away with have a couple during that because I don't want to risk my job. But then I will come home and binge drink. I'm trying to leave it in the past. Anyways welcome were all here for you
Old 09-06-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome busy bee. I'm new too.

You're not alone here.

Jason
Old 09-06-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Love this thread. There's so much encouragement and a lot of new friends!!! Welcome everyone. So glad you are joining us on the sober bus!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I relate very much with your post Breeze. Have you ever read "The Sober Revolution: Women's Wine O'Clock". I think you will find resonance with it (whether wine is your DOC or not). I know I did. I too can feign drinking normalcy at times...but truth be told, it's like playing Russian Roulette as I have no idea when the embarrassing, drunken dangerous debacle is going to break out. Yes, it was very much a social crutch...perhaps wheelchair is better word for me : )

Glad you are here.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

1 Week is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
instant

Great to have you at SR. Took me years to accept that once my "off switch" was faulty and unreliable there was no going back. There is a way to a happy life- drinking is not part of it
Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on 1 week sober. I'm new here also. Look forward to seeing you around.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ~Lia~ View Post
Each blackout caused weeks and months of misery for me. Then I started blacking out 3-4 times per month so I was living in constant turmoil. Knowing my next blackout was right around the corner, still not over the one that just happened, it was a never ending cycle. I am 34 and can tell you, it only gets worse.

Tried bargaining with myself for way too long. I will only drink light beer, only 2 glasses of wine, no shots, nothing worked.
That sounds like me
Old 12-22-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostgirll View Post
That sounds like me
I'm 34 and black out a lot. What did you do?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi busybee welcome ...

I can relate to many of the experiences you had. I'm just proud of you for recognizing it sooner than I did .. You will find the right path for you and we are here to support you on your journey. Congrats on one week !!!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is from August

D
Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh thanks Dee
Old 12-22-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

Originally Posted by Busybee1 View Post
however I feel that I am missing out on building relationships with my coworkers.
You're not missing out on anything. You can build far more meaningful and lasting relationships with people while sober. If others are unable to do so without alcohol, then they're not worth the effort in my opinion. Don't feel ashamed that you can't drink "responsibly", just accept that it is a problem and that the only way to overcome it is sobriety. I would think that your relationship with your partner is far more important than that with your co-workers, and alcohol is hurting that relationship. The answer seems clear.

Well done on one week, stay strong and focused!