Notices

What is Secular 12 Step Recovery?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

What is Secular 12 Step Recovery?

Working the steps outside of AA? Or without God?

Sorry if there's an explanation somewhere... I looked but may have missed it.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is a link you can read until other's reply.

Anodea Judith: Pagan 12-Step(Part 1 of 4)

...and an older post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1662451
Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ED, read through the "WHY STEPS?" thread in this sub-forum. There are links to other versions of 12 steps. Here's one: The Proactive Twelve Steps (printable) - Proactive Change
Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some people work the steps IN AA in a secular manner.

other people work steps that are written and designed secular. Often there are not many meetings for this, but people do it alone, or online for community.

I found it better to find secular 12 steps, like the one's in link above and work the steps that way.

I have no interest to change AA or how they say their steps, or do their steps. They are good the way they are.

So are the secular steps.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Elle, I see you posted on other threads. Did you get a chance to look into the 12 steps here?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

First of all - the definition of "secular' seems to be as elusive as the definition of God, Love or Spiritual.

Second, I think of secular as being outside of religion.

Third, I think of this forum as being for those who want a slightly eccentric (off center) interpretation of the 12 steps.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Elle,

You might also check out Women for Sobriety. Here is a link.

Women for Sobriety, Inc.

They also have a forum and weekly online meetings. There are also work books you can order. I have gone to some face to face meetings and I really enjoyed them as it was a smaller group. Not sure if they would be in your area or not, but the forum would be able to help.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

LBrain and Morning Glory thanks for the excellent links. I also want to work the 12 steps in a way that is more meaningful for me and this helps a lot!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ElleDee and RolyPoly... have you found AAAgnostica website? Those articles are all great reads. And the books recommended on that site are as well. I have them all. The Little Book is a book of alternative 12 steps. You might want to get a copy.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! I love the WFS 13 steps!!! I'm adding this to my program! Thank you.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
Wow! I love the WFS 13 steps!!! I'm adding this to my program! Thank you.
You are very welcome! Yes I really like them and they make me feel positive. And I like the fact that it is for woman and that it is more about me as a person than me as an alcoholic. It is just a different perspective and I really like that.

You can also check and see if you have any meeting in your area. They are not very common yet. We did have one here where I was but the woman who hosted them needed to take a break and no one else has been able to do them.

I have also read Jean Kirkpatrick's book it was a good read.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WOW, I really found that page by Anodea Judith extremely good, open, and useful! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
BRD

We all have to find our own path. I am far from an expert but have been in the program for 2 years and am currently abstinate from alcohol for 8 months.

I mostly look it it this way

1) I phucked up my life and alcohol played a part in it.
2) I need to live my live without alcohol and need the help of the others to do it
3) Listening and talking to other drunks helps me and helps them
4) I attempt to live a better life and make up for some of the crap I have done
5) I will be available to other drunks who can benefit from some of the crap I have to share.

I am an atheist and I completely ignore the God stuff and there is a lot of crap that I hear in AA meetings that I disagree with, however I almost always get something decent out of an AA meeting so I keep going.

I am very much a 'cafeteria 12 stepper' there is a lot of stuff that I don't buy into but I do find the environment as a whole helpful to my sobriety and mental health.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Molotov Kitty!

I have been pretty much alcohol free for about 2 months now. I am currently looking at all the various options, etc so I definitely appreciate this post.

I seem to be taking bits and pieces of the various programs and fitting it into my own way based on how I know myself. Now, I should also add... I am seeing a therapist as well, which has been nice enough to give me quite a bit of freedom in coming to terms and shifting to an alcohol free lifestyle.

Using this approach also include a significant weighting on CBT...

In the last 12 months, I have used less than ever before in the preceding 20... Still some very minor hiccups, but they are being address....

I am finally starting to feel comfortable in my new skin... It take time... There are mindset shift that really seem to need to occur no matter what program works for you.

The keys I see are, you are ACTIVELY stoping. It is a conscious element of your day, every day if even for 5 minutes. You also should be heavily involved in some self analysis and overall personal development in also every aspect (mental, emotional, physical, soul, etc)...

I wish you the best... don't get stuck on any particular program or if you are "doing it right".... Keep moving forward and growing.

Best,
Jeff
Old 03-29-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BRD View Post
We all have to find our own path. I am far from an expert but have been in the program for 2 years and am currently abstinate from alcohol for 8 months.

I mostly look it it this way

1) I phucked up my life and alcohol played a part in it.
2) I need to live my live without alcohol and need the help of the others to do it
3) Listening and talking to other drunks helps me and helps them
4) I attempt to live a better life and make up for some of the crap I have done
5) I will be available to other drunks who can benefit from some of the crap I have to share.

I am an atheist and I completely ignore the God stuff and there is a lot of crap that I hear in AA meetings that I disagree with, however I almost always get something decent out of an AA meeting so I keep going.

I am very much a 'cafeteria 12 stepper' there is a lot of stuff that I don't buy into but I do find the environment as a whole helpful to my sobriety and mental health.
I love this! I been to 3 AA meetings and stand when they do the prayer but I cannot say it. I believe in God and want to keep this part of my recovery private but I totally agree on the steps above cheers for that