Beliefs

Old 06-19-2004, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beliefs

The essence of a belief is the establishment of a habit.
— Charles Pearce

Often we may balk at the idea of believing in a Higher Power because we have been taught to “go it alone� & not trust in anything or anyone outside ourselves. It is hard to change beliefs, especially when we are more or less comfortable with what we have developed over the years.

To change our beliefs is not simply an intellectual effort. It comes from discussion & debate & trying out new behaviors.

That’s the value of our Twelve Step group where we find spiritual nourishment & strength. It is here that we learn to change our attitudes & develop self-esteem. As we start to act within our program of recovery, we find that our beliefs become strengthened when we get into the habit of thinking in new & positive way.

By integrating the values of the program into my life, I will find that these beliefs become mine.

Old 06-19-2004, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To change our beliefs is not simply an intellectual effort. It comes from discussion & debate & trying out new behaviors.
Thanks a heap Doug.
Someone should sticky that post.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Dan, I can do the stickey post thing...

Ask and you'll receive.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Well then, what are you waiting for
I just think it's such a simple yet powerful message.
Basic, 1+1=2 stuff you know.
Not happy? Try something different.
Sounds logical to me!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

for me it is about making a different choice. To realize that each day we are given a chance to make a difference choice. love ya randa
Old 09-10-2005, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

beliefs - ahhh beliefs.

the core of every emotion, every behaviour, every frown, is an underlying belief, or rule, or attitude.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Belief , faith?

For me there is a difference between belief and faith. Belief is to actually look at something, hammer it out on the anvil of experience, yours or others and then accept it or reject it, this provides a foundation for belief, hence the wording of Step 2, 'Came to believe. . . . . ' remembering that the Bid Book was written by 100 people not just one, it's difficult to argue with them, but if you are so inclined not impossible.

Faith is simply a statement of fact,'I have faith in the medical profession, the Church, the Government etc., etc., it is not belief which is a state of mind.

In my case I adhere to my Christian beliefs and support them with Buddhist principles, e.g.the Four Noble Truths, which relate to 'suffering' leading to enlightenment in the ,'Eightfold Noble Path' which I am sure through pure coincidence amount to something not to disimilar to the 12 Steps.

Whilst I am not yet old enough to be wise, I am old enough and sober enough to be philosophical so this is just a point of view.Michael.