AVRT to end emotional binge eating Part 2

Old 10-12-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all)

My, you've been busy here while I was chilling out on the beach)

Still reading through your posts.

Gilmer - Thank you so much for the song!

Bimini - Fried potatoes? Funny thing. I haven't had them like in ages. But on vacations while having lunch out in the town, we've been served them as a side dish. I usually just leave them untouched. But this time the smell was awesome and I've decided to try - wow! They were made of fresh potatoes, not frozen crap as they usually do. Just perfect.

And the best thing, though, was that I just had a few of them and stopped.

DigDeep - How is it going?

GT - Thank you for interesting input, as always.

Though I have a question for you - have you had a personal experience with using AVRT for ending binge-eating/bulimia caused by extremely strict diets/famine?

And, honestly, I didn't get this:

"A good AVRT exercise would be to practice the Technique of Recognizing the Addictive Voice in Gilmer's last post here or MidnightBlue's last post here?"

Probably, still too relaxed to solve charades)

Off for groceries shopping - together with my fitness trainer.

Come back later.

Wish everyone a super positive Sunday!

Here's the pic from my vacations to give you a breeze of relaxing mood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Room View.jpg (76.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-12-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

That looks gorgeous, MB! So glad you had a great time.

Considering that the name of the song is "Mama Said Knock You Out," he sure spends a lot of time just pacing around the ring, doesn't he?
Old 10-12-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
GT - Thank you for interesting input, as always.

Though I have a question for you - have you had a personal experience with using AVRT for ending binge-eating/bulimia caused by extremely strict diets/famine?

And, honestly, I didn't get this:

"A good AVRT exercise would be to practice the Technique of Recognizing the Addictive Voice in Gilmer's last post here or MidnightBlue's last post here?"

Probably, still too relaxed to solve charades)
Hi MB,

The closest personal experience I've had "with using AVRT for ending binge-eating/bulimia caused by extremely strict diets/famine" is right here on the Secular Recovery forum in discussion with you over the last year or so. And I appreciate these discussions.

About the "good AVRT exercise". I've suggested such exercises in the past because, while I can do it myself, I believe it's more effective for someone learning AVRT to take a stab at doing it themselves first. Over the last few days, for example, I did just such an AVRT exercise on a few of Gilmer's short posts right here on this thread.

About "charades": the Addictive Voice would love us to think the Technique of ITS Recognition requires all sorts of silent hints in order to work. (See, this sentence is an example of practicing AVRT on a sentence in your post.)

Well, AVRT is a lot easier than that. For binge eating, it seems "Amount" is the part of TAPS that applies the most immediately and directly. I have not been able to dispel the logical belief that everyone is capable of NOT putting more food in their mouth after a predetermined amount (set in a Big Plan) has already been swallowed.

GT
Old 10-13-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I am not saying anything. Things are going well, and I have been in command. But the beast hasn't been very vocal yet.

In the past, I have always started out like gangbusters, so it's too soon to boast; however, this time is different in that I see clearly that the beast (or the "flesh" or "the old man [in the inclusive grammatical sense]" or "sinful nature" for Christians) is really and truly a separate being from the "new man," me.

My "new man"--true self--does not desire to overeat--it is the beast and the beast only. I am looking forward to the challenge of defeating it.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Was away for a few days and haven't checked in and I'm almost back a week. Delighted to report that I am still sugar and caffeine free and I really feel the benefits. I'm amazed that writing the big plan online to a bunch of 'strangers' is holding me to my commitment but it is! I made great food choices when I was away and whenever the addivtive voice came in with a coffee or choc suggestion it was quickly dismissed with the commitment I made to myself and witnessed by you guys here online.

Now I have another dilemma for you!? I have been leaning on alcohol since I put down the other 2. I don't drink excessively but I notice that I don't like how I feel the next morning and tell myself I won't do it today, I'll cut it out till Xmas or for a month and then I'll have a drink again the next day. I don't really want to give up alcohol forever but I am noticing a pattern and like the effect the other big plan has had on me. On previous food plans abstaining from sugar meant abstaining from alcohol and I did that fairly easily. When I stopped using those plans I did really like that I could drink again. Writing this is making me think my av has snuck sugar in the back door in the form of alcohol. ?? Thanks for listening. DD
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, pals)

Busy these days after vacations, so it takes me some time to respond to your posts properly. But I do remember about you!

Today I'll cut it slack though - because today is my special day.

My own Independence Day. Day of Freedom.

I am TWO YEARS SOBER TODAY!!!

I am super proud of myself. I ditched wine out of my life not using some particular technique or method. I just decided for myself - that will do. I can't let wine rob me of my life any longer.

I had no support in real life, only SR community. But, my, what a support it is! My life and sobriety saver!

A year ago I stopped my life-long sweets addiction (using my Big Plan along with 4 days sugar detoxing) - what a victory it was!

Two months ago I finally ended my binge eating - this time making my own adjustments to AVRT and tailored it so it worked for ME.

I feel super positive today.

I want to make myself some gift (not expensive, not food related, but reflecting my sobriety, new life, and development - quite a challenge, ah?), but don't know yet what).

DigDeep, Gilmer - Super glad that you, gals, are doing great. Keep it up!

Here's another pic from vacations.

See you later)
Attached Images
Hotel_Pool.jpg (52.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Congratulations, MB.

Yes, alcohol is full of sugar, DD!

I ended up with a manageable Big Plan for now: sensible, modest meals. I know what that means. The key is eating only what I need, and not being a slave to chasing after every taste whim that enters my mind. The minor points are no processed sugar and no diet soda.

For the time being I am not addressing caffeine or exercise.

I am not measuring portions or counting calories; I am just eating only what I need. I tend to get full after only about a cup and a half of food, so I sometimes can now take just a few bites of certain things on the menu.

So far, so good! But the AV has been surprisingly quiet. When it gets loud, I hope you guys will help keep me tied to the mast like Ulysses!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I want to make myself some gift (not expensive, not food related, but reflecting my sobriety, new life, and development - quite a challenge, ah?), but don't know yet what).
If you're still boxing, how about a nice helmet to keep that precious noggin in top notch shape? Or maybe you already got one.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thanks for congrats, Gilmer and GT!

GT - yes, I am still boxing! And making lots of progress in it. And...still no helmet(( The point is I need the type of helmet with nose protection to keep me safe while doing sparring with guys. And its average price is about 250$. And every time I plan on allocating money for this, something more urgent comes up.

I do hope I'll finally buy one once I find a day job.

But I've found myself less expensive but soooo badass gift: never thought I would like anything like this, but fell for this bracelet made of snake skin.

And some flowers to add more colors to this special day!
Attached Images
collage_20141014172220721.jpg (62.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Congratulations mb!

I think I need to add alcohol to my big plan. Every day I say I won't as I feel crap the next morning but every evening I give in and say this will be my last. Not liking this plus I'm eating junk food but not sugar or caffeine while I drink.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Today I am having breakfast with a friend at 9 am. I woke up at 4:30! In the recent past I would have helped myself to leftovers in the fridge to "tide me over;" however, I will not do that today. I will wait for 9:00 to eat.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, all.

How's everyone doing?

I've been crazy busy these days so haven't been on SR much.

But I am doing fine)

See you all later.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in a while. its interesting in that my last post mentioned that I was drinking more than I wanted but still off caffeine and sugar. unfortunately that did not last and I went back caffeine and sugar to cope with the hangovers. now I'm ready to surrender another layer again. I feel like absolute crap and I in trouble in work, home and my internal self. Sooo I am working towards making a big plan again to include alcohol and high animal fat foods.

I need to read back over this thread for inspiration but I can't do another day of bingeing or drinking. so I am commiting to no sugar or alcohol or high fat foods today and no coffee or tea, though I am going to ween off the caffeine using Green Tea. This time, I am going to look at TAPS and read up on AVRT a bit more before I do my plan. I know I am in a better place than I have been today because I am on here writing. otherwise I don't allow myself to feel any of this by just constantly using. I feel crap but will hopefully get through the detox now and be stronger than ever. Congrats MB. I must go back and read through your journey too. I know it wasn't a straight line either. talk soon, xx
Old 11-27-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Congrats on making the right decision DD! You have a big plan. I'm not sure how much you were drinking but maybe at least monitor your BP and don't hesitate to call a doc if needed. Some get a lot out of journaling their progress from their first commitment post for accountability. I kinda wish I had done it that way as I am all over the place but here daily after 5+ months. My first posts are sketchy as I was still drinking a little (tapering) when I joined. Whatever it takes is my motto and there's a lot of great advice here.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, all.

It's been a long time since I posted here.

I felt good, and thought my battle was over and left behind.

But some time ago I slipped on my sugar-free Big Plan after 14 months. I never see it coming. By this time sugar became something like alcohol for me "out of question. doesn't exist. Not in my Universe".

Now it's gradually sneaked back into my life and feels like "Ok" again.

I've enjoyed two most delicious cakes today, promising myself it will be last. But honestly I don't feel that power now to make it "last" again.

Anyway.

I feel like it's time to get back to AVRT and see what didn't work.

See you all.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, all)

I've just noticed that it's been two years on May 19 since I started my AVRT to end binge-eating thread.

My, it seems like ages.

So many things happened, so much is going on right now.

And I have changed. A lot. I believe so.

And I am not bingeing.

Busy now. But I will write more)
Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hello my friend. And it's 2 years since I successfully quit smoking using AVRT. I have dealt with a lot this past year, it's been a tough one...but I never once thought of a cigarette.

Very cool.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Jeni, so glad to see you, my pal)

Congrats on 2 years without cigarettes!

I know you've been through a lot. Kudos for staying smoking-free!