Notices

Laid off and sober

Old 10-26-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Laid off and sober

Hello, I just wanted to share. I am 68 days clean. I lost my job yesterday. 275 others and me were laid off. My field is in healthcare information technology. 4 weeks severance will take me to december than unemployment which will not allow me to even keep my apartment. I have 30 days to find another professional job. Scared shi+less. I do however have my sobriety. Without it I would be having to quit using, be unemployed and basically unable to find work for 30 days. While I am angry etc about being laid off ---- I am thrilled to be sober. Surrender came to me in meeting. It's like I finally got it.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

So very very sorry to hear about the lay-off but what a fantastic attitude! With that approach, I am sure all will be well
Old 10-26-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Chin up, something good can always be around the corner.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, Hello. I've been laid off, too. You're right -- scary. The good news is that you're looking for something new AND sober. Hang in there.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry that you are having to deal with this.

It sounds like you have a good attitude, and maybe this will be a positive change in your life job-wise. I hope so. And, congratulations on your recovery.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you - something good will happen if you stay sober. By the way, I know of a very large national healthcare IT project that, ahem, cough-cough... is having some early implementation problems, ha ha. Perhaps they or one of the state projects have openings...
Old 10-26-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good news is with Obamacare HIT should be booming. I am sure you will be able to find some work. Now you can pass the drug tests during the interview part too. BTW - Great attitude and congrats on 68 days.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your attitude is great and really inspiring!

Obviously it's bad news for the short-term but with your sobriety and positive outlook you'll be fine in no time at all I'm sure.

I wish you all the best.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellomynameis View Post
Hello, I just wanted to share. I am 68 days clean. I lost my job yesterday. 275 others and me were laid off. My field is in healthcare information technology. 4 weeks severance will take me to december than unemployment which will not allow me to even keep my apartment. I have 30 days to find another professional job. Scared shi+less. I do however have my sobriety. Without it I would be having to quit using, be unemployed and basically unable to find work for 30 days. While I am angry etc about being laid off ---- I am thrilled to be sober. Surrender came to me in meeting. It's like I finally got it.
I was laid off October 11th with about 110 other people. I work in the mortgage industry. We got a very good severance package that will last till December also, then unemployment. Sober here as well

It kind of works out well. I can take much needed time to focus on my recovery and sobriety and figure out what I am going to do from here!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hellomynameis - I did not mean to make light of your situation but you seem to have such a great attitude. As I reread my post it comes off insensitive and that was not the meaning. HIT seems to be booming right now. You are clean and sober and should have no problem finding a job. I am sorry for the layoff but my experience is in hindsight most of the time these tend to workout - meaning the Firm you were at is/was probably a sinking ship and no place to build the career. Best to get on board a winner.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry hellomynameis, but sounds like you have a great attitude
Best wishes in finding a new job, maybe even a better one, quickly.

D
Old 10-26-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

it is scary losing your job, financial security and all that goes with it. But with such a fantastic attitude I just know something will show up for you.

all the best
caiHong
Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh, I am going to stick with this thread. I am about to be laid off but dont know the final date yet. I've been through a roller coaster of emotions. However, I have kept my sobriety. That is the most precious thing to me. I dont know what the future brings but its essentially beyond my control. So there is no point in worrying about it. I am planning for the next steps and that is all I can do. Lots of financial pressure and the concept of being out of a job isnt enchanting. But as I said, I am sober and determined to stay that way.

You have the right attitude and strength !
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What a blessing that you are facing this adventure sober and healthy! And yes, I said adventure. Not a crisis, not a tragedy...What you've got on your hands is a new direction in your journey, and in my eyes that's an adventure!

Who is to say what this news will mean to you? So many times in my life I've found that great gifts are included in these tempests. You may be heading toward the best job you've ever had. I believe that there something very exciting in store for you, because God, or the universe or Buddha made sure that you are ready, mind and body.

Congratulations on your recovery!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your job loss, but dont' fret, something will turn up. I lost my job early in my sobriety, and I was lucky enough to only be unemployed for 3 mos. before something turned up. Something close and similar in position and salary to what I was making.

I honestly don't think it would have happened that quickly had I still been drinking. I would have wasted too many hours of the day either drinking, worrying, or hungover, to do the quality job search I was able to put in sober.

You'll find something, and find it faster, sober.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I lost my job a few weeks ago as well. It is scary. I'm working really hard to try to find another opportunity. The stress can be intense. If I hadn't been sober as long as I have been it could have been a bad situation. Hang in there and take care of yourself.