Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Lightbulb Be The Awareness

Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

As step 10 says, "Continue to watch..."

My sponsor says get in tune with the Watcher.

Not the thinker of the thoughts, but the one behind the thinker. The one behind the thoughts.

It's what also plays a part in us becoming able to act instead of react...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If I am not my thoughts, then what am I? I am the one who has the thoughts, and is aware of them. I am the watcher. This is 'mindfulness' - read Tolle for some more good stuff like this.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
If I am not my thoughts, then what am I? I am the one who has the thoughts, and is aware of them. I am the watcher. This is 'mindfulness' - read Tolle for some more good stuff like this.
Good suggestion. That's right! Eckhart Tolle's books are powerful reads. So is everything I've come into with Meister Eckhart, who I found suggested here and I am so grateful for it - exceptional, remarkable, beautiful, amazing. Deepak Chopra was the first I heard speak in this regard. I think things he said helped plant seeds I needed when I got sober. There are so many in this arena that I love, and still so many more to discover!

My experience is that so many spiritual explorers, spiritual teachers, world religions and spiritual paths line up with each other on so many principles, and that they also line up beautifully with the Big Book.

The first time I came to step 11, my sponsor said I was to set out on a journey akin to spiritual kindergarden.

As it says in the Big Book in step 11,

"If circumstances warrant, we ask our wives or friends to join us in morning meditation. If we belong to a religious denomination which requires a definite morning devotion, we attend to that also. If not members of religious bodies, we sometimes select and memorize a few set prayers which emphasize the principles we have been discussing. There are many helpful books also. Suggestions about these may be obtained from one’s priest, minister, or rabbi. Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer."
A spiritual journey, growing, developing, grateful for the adventure.