Notices

I am CONSTANTLY hungry!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am CONSTANTLY hungry!!!

Day 5 and all I want to do is eat.... I'm trying to make sure I''m sticking with healthy foods, but it's all I think about!! Does anyone know about how long this lasts? Thanks!!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it lasted a couple of weeks for me. my body was ticked off about the missing carbs from the booze, so i was hungry all the time...for bad stuff. i'd eat whole loaves of italian bread at a time! i talked to my doctor and he helped me start eating right...low carb/high protein seemed to help me stay full.

congrats on day 5! you're doing a great job, keep it up! being hungry is far better than being drunk.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely had that happen for about 2 weeks. I would get random cravings for unhealthy greasy stuff- kinda like hangover cravings but spread out over the 2 weeks. It went away pretty suddenly for me and hasn't come back.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 7 and have been going through the same thing. I wake up and think about what Im going to eat for the day. I think it's partly because I'm not consuming 1,500 to 2,000 calories of alcohol a day (yes, that is actually the number of calories I was consuming in alcohol). Every time I quit it is like this for a week or so. I think it also has to do with my working out. I have been hitting the gym hard this week.

As I said, it is annoying, but nowhere near as annoying as the "Crazy Train" of active drinking. I have just been enjoying it because I will start eating healthier when this passes. The one thing I have not been doing is letting myself get hungry. That is the death of my sobriety there.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same here, I'm on day 6. The first 2 days I consumed a 3 lb pot roast with all the trimmings, and have went through loaves of baguette and a wheel of brie. I feel better though, and am especially glad the sweats were absent last night.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I notice that when I eat a lot of sweets at night I wake up and almost feel hungover. My mood is definitely different the morning after consuming a lot of sweets. Im generally grumpy on those mornings. Weird...
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been looking a lot into hypoglycemia thanks to dee from the forum, I was shocked that the puzzle peices seemed to just click!
Especially the bread cravings, I was the sandwich queen haha, it is very common in recovering alcoholics.
Now I am aware of it i'm modifying my diet to accomodate crashes in blood sugars.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Purple, I'm right there with you! It just seems I can't satisfy the hunger! I've been trying to keep it to nothing but healthy food...but the minute I'm done, I'm looking for something else.

There have been 2 days since the 1st of the year that I caved. So that makes 15 out of the last 17 days I've been sober. I know it's an odd way of counting...but for me I have to look at it that way. I've had many slips since September, and the whole 'starting over' on day 1 was killing me. I'd get sooo disappointed in myself. At least in this way of counting, it's helping me keep my head up.

Anyways, back to the topic...sorry for sidetracking. It's good to hear that after a couple weeks is subsides. It's really, REALLY hard to watch the scale go in the wrong direction...especially when I'm consuming 1000s less calories per week without drinking & have been exercising every single day!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

EH! I just went along with it and ate anything and everything I wanted, figured I'd worry about the weight thing once I got sober. I was on my own with this not going thru AA or any other program so I figured Chocolate had become my next addiction---it was better than alcohol!!

I figured it was the universe talking to me, saying--"AWWWW go ahead you deserve it". I mean come on .....no chocolate either??? What was I in SAW 5
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey - I just entering week 6, and this time gone hard out on the nutrition side of getting better. Use: B1,3,12 Vitamin C, and bit of Iron and Glutamine (to stop cravings) and get those cells working better.

Cut down on the carbs and eat lots of protein.

I tell you - the difference in my 'mental state' (ie - I am very calm, happy and have NO cravings) is incredible.

Chuck in some good exercise about 3/4 times a week too - just to get the body moving and rid of some of that energy. Have fun doing it to!!

This is the first time I have felt so good in a year of trying to get sober. Its all about getting your emzyme levels, bloods, etc working again - BALANCED!!! - man we put so much toxic stuff into us - how does 'talking help that'????

I say - try this nutrition method - its awesome!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Drink a glass of water. Sometimes our "hunger" is really thirst.