Notices

Shy bladder and the drug testing nightmare

Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shy bladder and the drug testing nightmare

"He sais he can't pee, He must be using..." The nightmare.

There is growing evidence to suggest that some drug testing authorities find paruresis a nuisance, and some implement "shy bladder procedures" which pay no more than lip service to the condition, and where there is no evidence that they have conducted any real research into the matter.
Paruresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In most cases public urination is illegal and immoral, in others its expected.

Its 300.23 in the DSM (social anxiety) a mental disabiltiy.

We will just put that down as a refusal...
Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have the same problem. I had to take my ua's at 9am so I'd get up early that day and pee then drink plenty of water before I went in. Worked every time pretty much.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dezi88 View Post
I have the same problem. I had to take my ua's at 9am so I'd get up early that day and pee then drink plenty of water before I went in. Worked every time pretty much.
That doesnt work if you totaly cant, it just makes it totaly hurt but the problem remains.

There is such a stigma on this thing especially on guys, "you can't pee when someone is looking" give me a break, A real man could stand up pee off the stage at a rock concert... Combine that with the accusations of drug use that often come when someone states they can't pee under pressure. Combine that with the guy looking "tough" makes it even worse.

There is a whole website on this IPA - International Paruresis Association , quoting and linking to wiki-pedia like above I was told is cheesy but I do it anyway.

P.S I learned about this years ago when I asked my old psychiatrist for some extra xanax to help me with this, I got a note allowing me to pee in private instead.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hair follicle testing is an alternative.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always panic when I know I have to take a drug test at my monthly doctor's appointment. Luckily, I get to go in a bathroom by myself, but just the fact that knowing the nurse is sitting outside the door WAITING for me makes me freeze up. It's like every second goes by I feel like the nurse is prob. getting mad or thinking that I'm trying to cheat on the drug test.

I found drinking alot of water and green tea in the morning helps, even though it is still a source that gives me anxiety and makes me dread going to the doctors every month!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting thread (I have this problem also) but it seems everyone including the O.P missed an important question.

The International Paruresis Association takes no formal position on the legality or privacy aspects of urine drug testing. It states that on the website.

The question is: What law sais you have to submit to an 'observed' drug test ?

If you don't know the awnser, just like I don't, please don't reply with "they need to make sure no one cheats" as proof of the existance of such a law that allows unwanted viewing of a persons private parts against there will. I can see that reply coming already a mile away.

Anyone know about the legality of all this ?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Night owl

I don't know about the legality issue, sorry. But I sure relate to it being a challenge.

At my suboxone doc I get to pee in private, no one waiting so that one is much easier. At the counseling place my counselor has to come in there with me--she doesn't like it anymore than I do. Fortunately she's pretty compassionate so we turn on the water, she closes her eyes and I do a lot of talking to my bladder.

The clinic is waiting for the cost of other forms of testing to come down. They can't afford anything else, so far the pee tests are the least expensive for them. Maybe it's time for the other labs or whatever to start dropping the prices and making the non-invasive tests cheaper.

In the meantime, turn on the faucet and drink tons of water.

If anyone can answer the legality issue it would be interesting to know but I think with a lot of clinics people are there voluntarily--or "voluntarily"--and it's more of a personal choice issue than a legal one. At least I imagine that is likely what most places would say.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I learned in therapy to set boundaries. Personal boundaries are guidelines, rules or limits that a person creates to identify for him- or herself what are reasonable, safe and permissible ways for other people to behave around him or her and how he or she will respond when someone steps outside those limits. Here goes.

"You can not look at my private parts or even be present wile I am urinating for this test until you show me a valid law that states you have the legal authority to do so and/or allows you to take any action against me for refusing to submit to this method of observed drug testing."

Boundary set.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJamie View Post
I learned in therapy to set boundaries.
I agree with this one, Check out

What are ‘Personal Boundaries?’

Boundaries define who we are. They establish ‘what is me’ and ‘what isn’t me.’

Personal Boundaries help us create ownership and protection of ourselves. Boundaries are our personal security.
We know that not just anyone can open the front door of our home, walk inside, go to the fridge, grab whatever they want and plonk on our couch. We know that if someone tries to steal our car, it’s illegal. We know people are not allowed to access our bank accounts and use our funds for their purposes, unless we grant consent.
Most people are very aware of boundaries for material objects, yet struggle to realise the importance of implementing emotional, physical, spiritual and mental boundaries for self.

This is really good stuff , check it out. Personal Boundaries In Relationships, Honoring Yourself : Melanie Tonia Evans

This was one of the better lessons.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by Alex1776 View Post
Thanks for the link, it looks interesting. I am still working on boundaries, reckon I always will be. I wasn't allowed to create a single one, my abuse started in infancy and was pretty far-reaching, even spiritual.

I could particularly relate to this quote from the site:

"If we internalised our parents’ irresponsible, immature, abusive or unloving behaviour, we learnt to say "Yes" to irresponsible, immature, abusive or unloving behaviour, and also to take responsibility for it."
Old 09-08-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice information but try it in the real world and see who cares about your shy bladder. Seriously I had this problem and test refusal = guilty . Don't get me started on the dishing out of abuse in the name of help.