Notices

Its true once an addict ALWAYS AN ADDICT!!!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
War

Its true once an addict ALWAYS AN ADDICT!!!

Is it true??? Once you are an addict you will always be an addict and most likely use again some time or another.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People are complex. Your statement is simplistic. I feel defensive when I read it.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by War View Post
Is it true??? Once you are an addict you will always be an addict and most likely use again some time or another.
I look at it like this. I have a disease called addiction that has no cure. It can, however, be arrested. Recovery is then possible. At any point the option to use may be exercised. At many points I may want to. But I don't have to. Recovery makes it a choice.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with ((StevenT)). Yep, I'm an addict, but I'm in recovery and can stay in recovery for the rest of my life. I don't have control over substances after the first one, but I sure have control on not picking up that first one.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it's fair to say that most drug/alcohol addicts are unable to stay clean and sober. However, that doesn't mean we don't have a choice, or that it is impossible.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As addicts we exercise the right to not pick up
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once an addicted always an addict?

It is very complicated but I look at it this way. It might help you understand it a little better. Dome say its a disease and it will never go away. You question is very good but when you said, 'addict and most likely use again some time or another.' That is where it will get confusing. Try not to confuse a lapse and a relapse. it will make more sense in a minute. So yes, once an addict always an addict but that does not mean you are an active addict. Just because you have the addictive genes (2 of them last research I read), does not mean you have to use and be labled an active addict. I also believe it can be labeled as a disease simply for the fact that the thoughts or obessesion to use will never go away (they only decrease and loose power). So once an addict always addicted but it does not mean that ever addict will fail. Some may lapse meaning they have length in their sobriety but they decide to drink and get drunk but then go another length of time sober. Where a relapse is where someone has a length of sobriety and they use but they fall back into the same behaviors they displayed while deep in there addiction. So, you see it is very complicated and dynamic but it ultimately lies in yours and Gods hand on what happens to an addict once they are sober. Hope that help!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good replies from all. to me i dont mind being a recovering addict the rest of my life. its better than being a practicing addict the rest of my existence. but i can always turn it back into an existence at any time. the choice is mine today.

my plan is to stay clean and sober the rest of my life, but i can only do it ODAAT.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

pretty much. but you don't have to use again if you live the solution
Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All I can offer is something I found useful from a therapist. He said "there really is no right or wrong. Only actions and whether or not you like the consequences of them. If you see things always as right or wrong it quickly becomes 'I'm good/I'm bad' which sets you up for the destructive self talk which continues the viscous cycle of addiction". Hope that makes sense. So I personally see it is I have a choice (action) I can make and like (not using). Stay strong.

~Kricket
Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Originally Posted by War View Post
I believe I will always be an addict, but if I don't take that 1st drink I'll be okay.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

That statement suggests that lifelong abstinence/recovery isn't possible, when in fact it happens all the time. Therefore the statement is false.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I will always be an addict. If I think I am not, I am afraid of what I will do. One Day At A Time, I don't have to pick that drug up. By the Grace of God, I will not use today.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just WORRY about today each and every day....before you know it - you got 10 years!

LOL...I have SIX now!