Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does binging or drinking cause hair loss or thinning?

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does binging or drinking cause hair loss or thinning? I've googled and have heard mixed things. The past 2-3 years, based on my drinking pattern, I noticed that my hair sheds out quicker, and my hair isn't thick. It's thin, and short. It seems like the length of my fallen hair is predetermined and short.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Froglet, I found a link for you. For me... everything got better after quitting :-)

Alcoholism and Hair Loss.

----------

Other Alcohol/Health Issues

Alcoholism and Hair Loss -

It goes without saying that drinking more than moderate drinking guidelines on a regular basis is detrimental to one’s health.

However, although we are aware that the side effects of alcoholism are many and varied, few of us are aware of the specifics

It is not, for example, commonly known that alcohol, and more specifically alcoholism, can cause hair loss

Alcoholism and Hair Loss
What are the 'normal' causes of hair loss?

A multitude of reasons have been cited by researchers, along with an equally large amount of solutions as to why we lose our hair. However, it is generally agreed that the two major causes of hair loss are:

The most common type of hair loss is the one caused by heredity effects. Parents who suffer from hair loss problems can very well pass on these very same characteristics to their offspring.

The next most common cause of hair loss is due to stress. Many people actually suffer from hair loss problems due to the levels of stress they face at work, school or home. Stress has also been scientifically researched to result in hair loss issues and bald patches.

Alcoholism and Hair Loss
How can alcohol cause hair loss?

There are 3 reasons as to why alcohol causes hair loss:

Hair loss due to alcohol consumption is mainly due to the fact that alcohol affects the levels of estrogen and zinc in the body, which subsequently affect hair growth.

Excessive drinking RAISES the level of estrogen, high levels of estrogen result in hair loss.

Excessive drinking REDUCES zinc levels in the body. Zinc is essential for healthy hair growth.

In addition, constant consumption of alcohol can also induce a lower level of vitamins B and C in your body.

Furthermore, folic acid levels can also fall which is also vital in maintaining healthy and strong hair.

The fact that alcoholics rarely have a balanced diet can also add to vitamin deficiencies which contributes to weakened hair.

Alcoholism and Hair Loss
The science of hair

Our hair is made up of 2 main components.

These are the shaft and the root. Apart from that, it is vital to know that cells are formed at the root and will die out as time goes by, stimulating hair growth.

In addition, our hair is like a tissue that requires constant nourishment in order to stay healthy and grow well.

Alcoholism and Hair Loss
When to worry about hair loss

Losing small amounts of hair is not something that you should concern yourself with and it is in fact, a very normal occurrence.

Research and studies have shown that 10% of our hair is in a state of constant rest and has a possibility of falling off. The remaining 90% is kept in constant growth at an average rate of about 1 cm a month.

The lifespan of each particular strand of hair is usually between 5 and 7 years.

Nonetheless, it is possible that external factors such as aging, malnutrition and consumption of alcohol can shorten the lifespan of hair and result in hair loss.

The time to start worrying about hair loss is when your normal pattern of hair loss changes and it is only you who can determine what normal is.

If you are worried about losing hair, then it is time to visit your physician/doctor.

Alcoholism and Hair Loss
Treatment for hair loss

The treatment for alcohol-induced hair loss is very straightforward, either cut down on your alcohol consumption or give up altogether.

Much easier said than done I know, but if your hair loss is from excessive drinking and it bothers you enough to come to this page, then what better incentive do you need?

If you wish to stop or moderate your alcohol consumption, then Deborah Morrow, our addictions counselor, can give you a free online consultation in which she will assess your drinking problem and give advice as to possible treatment options.

Only attempt withdrawing from alcohol under medical supervision, alcohol withdrawals can be fatal.

If you can't stop or cut down on your drinking, or don't want to, then you can try to take zinc/folic acid supplements and improve your diet. This may improve the situation.

It is not common for someone who drinks moderately to suffer from hair loss. If you do, it is more than likely caused by something other than alcohol.

Another thing: hair loss is a relatively minor side effect of alcoholism, there are other, far more serious, physical effects of alcoholism not to mention the effects of alcoholism on those living with an alcoholic.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Damn....I drank like a fish and I still have all my hair...Maybe I'm not an alcoholic?....NOT! I wouldn't be suprised if worry wasn't a major contributor to hair loss.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

at the end of my drinking heavy drinking i had lost 50% of my hair (im female). it was coming out by the handfull in the shower drain, i had a receding hairline, frightening and so upsetting. 2 years later i'm happy to say with vitamins and proper nutrition it has grown back and is again full and thick, past my shoulders. i do take calcium mag/zinc every night, pay attention to what i'm eating too.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you take supplements b4 food or at night? What's your regiment like? I plan on drinking milk stead of drinking beer.

It's been so hard, but I just cannot get clean on the weekends.. Still.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

:-( I think hair loss is the least or your worries if you keep drinking, Froglet.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Folic Acid for thinning hair, losing hair, weak nails.

With our drinking we deplete many of our Vitamins, especially the B's and the Folic Acid. A good regimen, once we find recovery and a good healthy diet do a lot to bring back our bodies.

I know Carol D used the eating regimen in "Under The Influence" and still says how well it worked for her. A good healthy diet, supplements to replace what we depleted from our drinking, and you will see some 'good' changes in your body's health.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your hair is a good indicator of your physical health...shiny, thick and healthy you are good.

By the time I quit I had a noticeable widening of my part. My hair is back to normal more or less now.

Quitting drinking makes so many things better, I hope you can figure out how to stay dry on weekends
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Temporay hair loss is surprisingly common but should right itself if you quit and eat sensibly.

If you get patches of complete hair loss you can get topical steroid treatment which is very effective in getting the follicles working again.

I think if you quit drinking and wait a few months things will right themselves.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My hair fell out so much my hair dresser kept commenting on how it came out so easily even while she was working with it. My hair remains thinner, but it's overall health has improved since I quit drinking.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bumping this up - I had no idea until this morning and it's scared the crap out of me!
NO WAY am I touching that vile stuff again!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

stop googling and start quitting

isnt it funny how much time we spend googling symptoms of...when we know darn well what the problem is
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
stop googling and start quitting isnt it funny how much time we spend googling symptoms of...when we know darn well what the problem is
I've been googling symptoms all morning.... Terrible habit.... " hmm let's google shakiness, depressive thoughts, confusion, mental disorders etc"..... Just asking for a panic attack
Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

been there too.
If i spent half that amount of googling time on my recovery I couold have saved myself a lot of hours
Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
stop googling and start quitting

isnt it funny how much time we spend googling symptoms of...when we know darn well what the problem is
I have quit - a week and a half ago - just thought bumping this might inspire others too as well
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wait. Is THAT why I'm a bald guy!!??
Old 10-23-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't know John
Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
I don't know John
Nah, been losing my hair since my early 20s. Still sexy as h*ll at 51 though!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hair loss in males is down to genetics and testosterone levels. Alcohol can increase testosterone in certain individuals so maybe it's quickened the process for you if it's in your genetics.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
Nah, been losing my hair since my early 20s. Still sexy as h*ll at 51 though!
.. and modest with it, huh ?